Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buggy friendly pub for lunch in city centre?

Options
  • 11-05-2011 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Is there any pubs in town that doesnt have too many steps or narrow walkways for a buggy to fit..?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Don't go to a pub with your buggy/baby maybe??

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sah

ArtyC wrote: »

I didnt realise having lunch in a pub/restaurant was not allowed if you had a buggy/baby!!!:rolleyes:

op try Buskers or the Skeff, there is lots of space for buggy and they are family friendly! enjoy your lunch :)

Go away!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Townhouse is babby friendly enough. Kellys (downstairs) too maybe? Grab a snug?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

sah wrote: »
    I didnt realise having lunch in a pub/restaurant was not allowed if you had a buggy/baby!!!:rolleyes:

op try Buskers or the Skeff, there is lots of space for buggy and they are family friendly! enjoy your lunch :)

I know! and i thought when pubs offered their customers highchairs, children's menus etc they maybe they were child friendly?!! :confused::D:D

Thank you for your suggestions i never thought of the skeff there would be perfect :)

Thanks for all yer suggestions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

+1: pubs and kids don't mix, IMHO.

However if you're looking for a lunch venue, try Rabbits on Forster St, or the Imperial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Go away!
    Its not that I wouldn't mind a baby in a pub for lunch. Just probably being harsh because you didn't ask for baby friendly lunch venue!
    Last bank holiday I was stuck working in a pub where after food was being served I was surrounded by drunk parents and tired cranky childers!
    Apologies if I was offensive only my job is hard enough and babies don't belong in pubs :-)
    Buskers do lovely food and half portions of their own menu so you can get your child something healthier than nuggets and chips say

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ted2767

Buskers do lovely food?
    The place is a kip and the food is no better or worse than anywhere else.
    Try bar 8 on the docks the only place in Galway brave enough to try do something different when it comes to barfood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

JustMary wrote: »
    +1: pubs and kids don't mix, IMHO.

However if you're looking for a lunch venue, try Rabbits on Forster St, or the Imperial.
    OP asked for "Buggy friendly pub for lunch in city centre?"

what's with the nit-picking? She very clearly stated it was for lunch!
    You'd swear she wanted to go on the tear!rolleyes.gif
    I'd say the skeff is your best bet OP

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Kelly's provide high chairs as does The Dail during lunch hours. Have seen them in recent weeks coincidentally. Unfortunately I am not a fan of kids in pubs when I go for my 45 min lunch break and neither are my colleagues. Sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

dec25532 wrote: »
    Unfortunately I am not a fan of kids in pubs when I go for my 45 min lunch break and neither are my colleagues. Sorry.

Well, that's really you and your friends' problem, not the kids. Sorry.

OP. Buskers is really friendly and food has been consistent for many years. Only places I'd really avoid would be the sterrotypical "old man" pubs, where the emphasis would be on drinking rather than eating and drinking. Must sometime ask in Garavan's what their baby changing facilities are :D

Agree that pubs in the evening or at night are not the place for children, but any place should be welcoming to children during the day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Kings Head is very buggy friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    True but much better to go in the back door if you have a buggy (enter from Middle Street rather than High Street).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Sponge Bob wrote: »

They had no high chairs last time I was there for lunch. Disastrous with a toddler. Kelly's was fab the last two times I was in there and they even have a bowl of soup and mash for the baby. Mine loved it.

Oslo in Salthill is good too if you're ever out that side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

I'd recommend Kellys. Plenty of room for a buggy, they have high chairs and friendly staff.

Like churchview said, there's a big difference between old man drinking holes and the likes of the skeff, kellys, the oslo, Buskers, Dail Bar which by day are more family restaurant than pub. They all provide high chairs and have changing tables usually in the disabled loo.

It does go without saying however that no matter where kids are they ought to be under control so they aren't bothering staff or other customers. I'm always astounded by some parents ability to completely not notice their own kids public behavior.

Well behaved children shouldn't be a problem for anyone having their 45 minute lunch

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Aye, my first thought was Kelly's too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Busker's isn't the worst during the day. I've been in plenty of times with mates and their little snot goblins, and it's always been clean and airy.

Though, I'd probably recommend Kelly's first...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

The Skeff is good expect that the food section is upstairs. The staff are helpful though and there's a lot of space.
    If there 2 grown ups then one of ye can pop up to have a look at the food (or else just order from the staff).

Milanos' is great with kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

Central bar Woodquay. Parking right outside. Entrance at front and rear. Delicious fresh food and a warm and friendly atmosphere. I bring my baby there all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

McTigs wrote: »

It does go without saying however that no matter where kids are they ought to be under control so they aren't bothering staff or other customers.

Replace the word 'kids' with 'adults' and you'd be accurate enough in referring to a typical pub night in town. Unfortunately, never happens! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

churchview wrote: »
    Agree that pubs in the evening or at night are not the place for children, but any place should be welcoming to children during the day.

It's illegal to be drunk in charge of a child under seven in this country - so technically a bar that's serving alcohol to drunk parents is breaking the law. And personally I can't see it's healthy to be introducing them to drinking culture as kids either.

In small towns where there are no other options I can understand it. But when there are non-alcohol venues, that's where kids should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

JustMary wrote: »
    It's illegal to be drunk in charge of a child under seven in this country - so technically a bar that's serving alcohol to drunk parents is breaking the law. And personally I can't see it's healthy to be introducing them to drinking culture as kids either.

In small towns where there are no other options I can understand it. But when there are non-alcohol venues, that's where kids should be.

Restaurants and hotels serve alcohol too. Should children be excluded from them?

The OP asked for a suitable pub to have lunch with kids, not for a place to get drunk with kids.

Forget the legalities. It's just plain wrong and unconscionable to be drunk in charge of a child, regardless of the venue, but that issue is nothing to do with the OP's question. It's for a whole different thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions.. somewhere like the skeff or kellys would be perfect i think

and i was just looking for a nice suitable pub for eating lunch that was easy to get around with a buggy and definitely not for drinking alcohol with my child, but again thanks for the feedback.

Advertisement