Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCNA expiring - should I go CCNA Security or CCNP?

Options
  • 11-05-2011 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I work in a sys/net admin for a smallish company circ 40 users with co-lo web hosting setup all of which I solely manage and support. We have some cisco gear in there just some layer 2 (2950) and 3 (3560) switches. I will have to setup up a pair of 3750's soon also (next few months).

My CCNA is about to expire in August. Should I go CCNA Security or a CCNP exam?

I am wondering is there overlap between CCNA and CCNA Security or is the latter got its own content as such thus there would be a lot to learn?

Just not sure if I will have enough exposure to warrant CCNP yet or is it better to keep moving up cert levels rather than expanding outwards if you know what I mean?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Cableguy

Hi Axer,

You have not left yourself very long to obtain the full CCNP, to get that certification before August would be near impossible unless you studied full time between now an then...

There are several different routes and exams you can take to obtain the CCNP a friend (Who has CCNA) recently took the Cisco switching exam which is one of three exams required to get CCNP and he studied for this for about two months and passed. This took the pressure of him as it extends his CCNA for another three years.

Good luck on what ever path you choose.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Thanks Cable Guy. The plan would be to do what your friend did and sit the switching exam (I dont think you can do the CCNP in one exam but I could be wrong). Alternatively would be to do the CCNA Security so am not sure which to take.

The only thing I am thinking now is that I will have to setup some 3750s shortly which will require some understanding of HA (HSRP etc) so maybe it is in my interest to study the switching CCNP exam next alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Go for SWITCH.
    Its the easiest of the three.

This will give you a start on CCNP and renew your CCNA.

Advertisement