Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo gaelic football 2011

Options
  • 11-05-2011 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭

I didn't see a thread on this, so...

After a disappointing League, the championship starts next week. Jonny Davey and David Kelly are out injured, but I'd hope we still have enough to see off Leitrim. Thoughts, hopes, fears, anybody?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I didn't see a thread on this, so...

After a disappointing League, the championship starts next week. Jonny Davey and David Kelly are out injured, but I'd hope we still have enough to see off Leitrim. Thoughts, hopes, fears, anybody?

I'd like to see them do well in the Connacght Championship. Dont really know much about them beyond that.

I'm a Donegal Follower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Derfil

Whats wrong with David Kelly? He's a fine footballer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Donegal here too , but yes no harm in a GAA thread, Sligo IMO will make the Conn Final this year, Leitrim should be a straight forward game for Sligo, Ross will be a big one Sligo will be up for that and judging by their league performance they will be ready for that and should have a full squad, Sligo have yet to peak. I was at the Sligo Donegal game where Sligo were 8 points clear and cruising. UP to that point Donegal could not handle the forward runs from the half back line + Harrison and Brehoney was in a class of his own. Donegal got a few points back and then the goals. From the sideline felt sorry for Sligo but they were playing their best up to the comeback. If Sligo can play to their full potential then I reckon Conn is not beyond them, of course that all depend on what Mayo show up with.

PS Donegal to win on Sunday by 5. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Derfil wrote: »
    Whats wrong with David Kelly? He's a fine footballer.

Ankle injury. Recovering from surgery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Can't see Sligo making the final this year,mind you I haven't seen the fixtures. If they meet Mayo or Galway they'll be knocked out I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Not much point in commenting so if you havent seen fixtures.

Gipo3 wrote: »

Doesn't change much. Can see Roscommon beating them too,so fixtures are irrelevant.
    I'd like to see myself proved wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Can I ask some Gah heads here, why do Sligo get much bigger crowds in the Championship compared to the league. Surely if you're a Sligo fan every game is important?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

thebuzz wrote: »
    Can I ask some Gah heads here, why do Sligo get much bigger crowds in the Championship compared to the league. Surely if you're a Sligo fan every game is important?

I live in Letterkenny, so even home games are a big commitment. I drove to Portlaoise and back a few years ago on the same day. But surely it's the same in every county - the Championship is the bigger competition; it's going to draw the crowds. Although at E30 for an adult in the stand, that may change next week.

It's the same with every county I'd imagine. I used to go up and stand watching Sligo get beaten by a division 4 team in the pissing winter rain but used to never go to the championship games. Too big of a crowd once you got to the semi final or something.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

More chat here if anyone's interested

http://hoganstand.com/Sligo/Forumpage.aspx

I think the price is going to be a factor for the Championship, Stand tickets for MKZ Park is 30e for everyone , Ballybofey is nearly as bad in 27e for a covered seat. The quarter finals double headers in HQ will be the same as a seat for either Donegal and Sligo 1st roundsn usually 25-30e.

It makes Rovers good value for the 15euro.

bennyc wrote: »
    It makes Rovers good value for the 15euro.

Ya, thats until you actually have to sit down and watch it.

Ya, thats until you actually have to sit down and watch it.

Not going to turn this into a Soccer v GAA thread but clearly you have not been to the showgrounds in a while

Couldn't agree more benny. Watching a team at the top of their game and one of the best in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Might get a nice run in the qualifiers but i cant see them getting beyond roscommon in the provincials.

Hopefully get knocked out early on anyway so the bandwagon can end quickly.

Hopefully get knocked out early on anyway so the bandwagon can end quickly.

So you don’t want Sligo to win or compete in Connacht :eek: for fear that you might have a few more supporters going to matches than normal,putting up flags on their cars, buying jerseys and the towns all putting out black and white. Instead they get knocked out V Leitrim then the first round of the qualifiers to Antrim,, that will show the Sunshine supporters’ not to get excited. Always the same attitude towards the so called "band wagon". Let's give out about them instead of dont anything positive and trying to get more poeple into the sport. Do you think Rovers complained about the band wagon surrounding the Cup win, dont think so and judging by the crowds since it has only a positive effect.

Anyway at 20e terrace and 30e for stand tickets you will need all the bandwagon you can get for a bit of support.

bennyc wrote: »
    So you don’t want Sligo to win or compete in Connacht :eek: for fear that you might have a few more supporters going to matches than normal,putting up flags on their cars, buying jerseys and the towns all putting out black and white.
    I hate this time of year for those reasons highlighted. Win one or two games and the place goes gah mad, no sign of anything during the league though.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Wester

I hate this time of year for those reasons highlighted. Win one or two games and the place goes gah mad, no sign of anything during the league though.

I don't think Sligo are alone in that respect; the league seems to barely register across the country going by some of the small attendances. It's natural that people will get more excited about the championship, it's the more high-profile.

• Advertisement

Its funny when people talk of "small attendances" at league games. The league is the lower rated competion for sure, but when the size of the crowd is at least twice as much at the showgrounds it does make me laugh.
    Anyway Im not here to bash Rovers, I wish them best for the season and hope they can bring more success, unlike some soccer supporters who dread to see any GAA success for the county. What I do hate is people who go to the pub to watch premier league and wont even go short disatnce to showgrounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Its funny when people talk of "small attendances" at league games. The league is the lower rated competion for sure, but when the size of the crowd is at least twice as much at the showgrounds it does make me laugh.
    Anyway Im not here to bash Rovers, I wish them best for the season and hope they can bring more success, unlike some soccer supporters who dread to see any GAA success for the county. What I do hate is people who go to the pub to watch premier league and wont even go short disatnce to showgrounds.
    wasnt so long ago that gaa players were making digs a football saying that gaa was now the dominant game in sligo. some ginger muppet was in the champion if i remember correctly. they clearly cant handle the success that it has brought too the town and the same can be said for a large amount of its supporters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I sincerlely doubt if there was any attendance of 4,000 + at a league game for the Gaelic footballers this year

Of course there was. Were you not there??

Yep in fairness the crowds at league games are decent but nothing compared to Championship but thats the same in every club and county. We souldnt be comparing Rovers to MKZ Park two different sports with different followings. Only a small amount of poeple really go to both without fail.

Really shouldnt be to much of a contest Sligo will be very fast and heard to deal with here, I imagine OHara will be playing #14 good bet for first goal.

Any opinions on the Donegal style tactic that is getting slated from all pundits at the minute, I think it is going to be more and more used from the up and comming countys and not going to go away for fear of being called puke football. As bad as it looked on the TV at the game looks much worse, You can count 13-14 men behind your own 45 line when you dont have posession. I actually am not that against it as I have seen how even a very middle of the road clube team can use it go great success.

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Can't see Sligo making the final this year,mind you I haven't seen the fixtures. If they meet Mayo or Galway they'll be knocked out I think.

This looks promising.

A long break now before the qualifiers start.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

They are a waste of time and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

The first half was probably the worst I've seen in years. Leitrim players were waltzing about the place, taking scores at will without being touched. The second half was better - more fight (literally at times), more closing down, but still the wrong decisions were taken time after time. It's an amateur game, so I'm not going to get up on the negative bandwagon, but it's hard to see a productive campaign in the qualifiers.

I took my seven year old boy for his first game today, and if it wasn't for the punch-up ("cool") or the jangly black-and-white jester's hat he got, it would be hard to get him back again. Incidentally, his cousin, a day younger, went to her first Rovers game the night before, and got the right result. Good luck to them, I hope they do well (if only they could beat Shams) and win the league. I really don't get the GAA/soccer scrapping here on the boards, especially from such a small place as Sligo.

• Advertisement

The first half was probably the worst I've seen in years. Leitrim players were waltzing about the place, taking scores at will without being touched. The second half was better - more fight (literally at times), more closing down, but still the wrong decisions were taken time after time. It's an amateur game, so I'm not going to get up on the negative bandwagon, but it's hard to see a productive campaign in the qualifiers.

I took my seven year old boy for his first game today, and if it wasn't for the punch-up ("cool") or the jangly black-and-white jester's hat he got, it would be hard to get him back again. Incidentally, his cousin, a day younger, went to her first Rovers game the night before, and got the right result. Good luck to them, I hope they do well (if only they could beat Shams) and win the league. I really don't get the GAA/soccer scrapping here on the boards, especially from such a small place as Sligo.

There is some rivalaries between GAA, and LOI unfortunatly. So prefer one, so the other, some will follow both. Dont quite get the reasons my self, its the same sometimes for soccer v rugby.

How much was it to get in today. Donegal v Antrim was near €30 for a stand ticket last week for an absolute dire game.

Hopefully Sligo will be well prepared for the qualifiers, about 7 or 8 weeks I think before they start.

Advertisement