Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo gaelic football 2011

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

30 euro for the stand, 20 for the terrace, 5 for the youngster. Yup, a long wait for the qualifiers and hopefully something, anything, can be worked on before then.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I understand that we haven't the numbers to be a serious force in the game, but game over 3 points down at home to Leitrim with 10 mins left made me so angry. Paying a ridiculous 20 euro made me think I probably have better things to be doing then watching this sh1te.
    I've zero interest in the qualifiers right now, but that'll probably change in the next few weeks. Another gutless display like that might kill my interest altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

thebuzz wrote: »
    Hopefully get knocked out early on anyway so the bandwagon can end quickly.

Hopoefully Rovers get knocked out earlier this year too so the bandwagon can also end early. Seeing all those sunshine supporters at the cup final last year just got on my self righteous goat.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

T runner wrote: »
    Hopoefully Rovers get knocked out earlier this year too so the bandwagon can also end early. Seeing all those sunshine supporters at the cup final last year just got on my self righteous goat.
    Preaching to the converted here, they annoy me too. A lot more with the gah though, the whole town turns black and white for the sake of a couple of wins. At least most Rovers fans have an interest all year around, not just the cup(Championship).

Also, when we get knocked out we're gone, no 2nd chance back door for us-absolute joke that is btw.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I'm not a fan of Rovers, but I prefer them to be nearer the top than the bottom of the table. This rivalry between the two is so f*cking pointless and stupid. If both teams are doing well then its a good thing for the county.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

thebuzz wrote: »
    Preaching to the converted here, they annoy me too. A lot more with the gah though, the whole town turns black and white for the sake of a couple of wins. At least most Rovers fans have an interest all year around, not just the cup(Championship).

Also, when we get knocked out we're gone, no 2nd chance back door for us-absolute joke that is btw.

I was actually being sarcastic. Its only sport. People have to right to go one match per year or twenty without sanctimonious putdowns.

So what if Sligo town supports the county Gaelic team? You support your team and leave others alone to support theirs when and how they see fit.
    Gaelic has huge interest in Ireland. If Sligo were ever to win Sam you would see celebrations in Sligo that no FAI cup could ever produce.

It sickens me during the warriors run when crowds of people turn up and most of the athletic events during the year are sparsely supported. (sarcasm again)

Ever watched the Warriors run? Yes? Do you support any other athletics events? No? Then you are one of the so-called sunshine supporters you are putting down.

I went to one match last year. The cup final. Before you start preaching i was at almost every match in 82' when you were in your diapers.

Please dont judge me or others. Im sure youre a great supporter of Sligo Rovers. You dont need to put others down to prove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

I understand that we haven't the numbers to be a serious force in the game, but game over 3 points down at home to Leitrim with 10 mins left made me so angry. Paying a ridiculous 20 euro made me think I probably have better things to be doing then watching this sh1te.
    I've zero interest in the qualifiers right now, but that'll probably change in the next few weeks. Another gutless display like that might kill my interest altogether.
    i think Sligo had a very poor first half,seemed to improve in the 2nd half but not much.In saying that I think they under-estimated Leitrim,they look very good and were a very young team,their oldest player was captain James Glancy,and he is only 28.

They also had 7 debutants in the starting line up.They could be the ones to watch this year.It will be interseting to see how they do againist Roscommon.

Also found the price of the tickets to be very expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I agree with what was said.
    Doesn't bother me if people like Sligo Gaelic team or Rovers. I like both,don't see hassle in liking both or disliking one just based on the sport they play. At the end of the day it's the local team and some team has to win in the sport you don't like,so why not the team in your town?

I just couldn't justify paying the guts of thirty quid to go to Markeveicz and watch a team put in such a poor performance,it would genuinely make me so angry to watch,but I'd still wish them the best and want them to win.
    I'll gladly pay a tenner into Rovers,entertainment and a good performance is now a norm,contrary to when I started going about 10 years ago,when they used to get beaten by the likes of Kilkenny Town.

Dazzler88 wrote: »
    i think Sligo had a very poor first half,seemed to improve in the 2nd half but not much.In saying that I think they under-estimated Leitrim,they look very good and were a very young team,their oldest player was captain James Glancy,and he is only 28.

They also had 7 debutants in the starting line up.They could be the ones to watch this year.It will be interseting to see how they do againist Roscommon.

Also found the price of the tickets to be very expensive.

We badly missed Davey and Kelly, they could have swung it for us.
    20 euro isn't an awful lot, but it's overcharging for a terrace ticket in the 1st round of connacht, that and the team being f*cking useless made me very angry. Don't think we'll go too far this year.

Sligo are hopeless outsiders for All Ireland. If you fancy them get on the 200/1 available. If you ask nicely they'd probably give you 500/1.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Sligo are hopeless outsiders for All Ireland. If you fancy them get on the 200/1 available. If you ask nicely they'd probably give you 500/1.
    Wow, at that price if you put on a tenner... you'd lose your tenner.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Well the draw for the 1st round of the qualifiers was made at the weekend. Sligo will face Wicklow in Aughrim on the 25th of June at 7pm.

Could have been a worse draw, could have been better. It's going to be tight. I understood Kelly would be back, or so they were saying a month ago. Anybody know?

What's the draw alchemist?

As stew said above, Wicklow in Aughrim, 25th June at 7. I read elsewhere it might be on at 5, but not according to gaa.ie. Not a lot of consideration for the travelling public there.

Sorry didn't read the post.

Can't see many people traveling to it, I don't feel like a 350 mile round trip after paying in to see that rubbish a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

As stew said above, Wicklow in Aughrim, 25th June at 7. I read elsewhere it might be on at 5, but not according to gaa.ie. Not a lot of consideration for the travelling public there.

It's been changed to 5 as of today

I take it all back. The GAA care enormously about the travelling public. :D

4 championship defeats in a row. constant disapointment following this team. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

we're lucky we have rovers, some night in the showgrounds last night :)

Were they bad? Were they fancied to win?

Slight favourites, perhaps. Whatever progress seemed to be happening last year has disappeared down a black hole. A very disappointing 2011 behind us now. We can only hope things will improve ( I seem to have thought that a lot over the years).

Well, it can't get much worse in fairness. If Walsh stays another year then I think we've a decent shout at Connacht next year, but if he goes we'll have to start from scratch.

Advertisement