Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

science teaching

• 11-05-2011 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

I am currently studying physiotherapy in the UK and love the course, but I can't see myself doing it for the rest of my career life. I have always loved science, and was between two minds of whether to do physio or science teaching in college.
    I am just wondering if it is possible to do like a HDIP or equvilent in ireland once i have my degree so it would be possible to teach at secondary level? If so, is there any info out there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

repeatLC wrote: »
    I am currently studying physiotherapy in the UK and love the course, but I can't see myself doing it for the rest of my career life. I have always loved science, and was between two minds of whether to do physio or science teaching in college.
    I am just wondering if it is possible to do like a HDIP or equvilent in ireland once i have my degree so it would be possible to teach at secondary level? If so, is there any info out there?
    The teaching qualification is the PGDE (Post-graduate Diploma in Education) ... it used to be called the HDE (Higher Diploma in Education) which is where the "H. Dip." moniker derived and indeed is still in common, casual use.

However, NB that as well as the qualification in teaching itself, your degree must meet the standards of the Teaching Council ... i.e. they must be satisfied that there is sufficient relevant content in your degree to prepare you to teach a specific subject or subjects.

A list of recognised degrees from Irish colleges is here.

In the case of other degrees you would need to submit the details of your degree for adjudication / possible recognition. You will find more detail on the TC website.

Advertisement