Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thin Clients against RDP/TS against Citrix

• 11-05-2011 11:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Working on a project...
    any one using thinclients ? how can i distinguish /select /test one solution from another !?Thin client,Remote desktop/RDP/TS,Citrix,VMware virtual desktop and so on...

I need about 100 "clients" talking over a 1GB lan network to a server,doing Office suite,few multimedia applications,internet browsing,printing moderate documents.

I was thinking to get one decent server hardware-ise,possible a Shorty Blade format with at least 2GB ram for each logged end user.few sas hdds.a good 1GB managed L2/VLANs network. As OS,chose VMware or Microsoft Server 2008 in TS mode.

"clients",looked as Wyse.Expensive...
    Looked at standard desktops,booting some basic OS and then straight in to Remote desktop session.
    Or BootROM / PXE off the network card and then loading an image off the network server.

Dunno...any tips ?
    Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

What kind of a project is it? What are your goals? 2GB RAM per user is wayyyyyy too much for typical office users for a start. Remember you arent quite loading an entire OS including services for EACH client.

Wyse are expensive, but they are good, especially on the footprint end. Im pretty sure you can get RDP clients from HP pretty cheap. Dont forget to look at embedded OS + client software of your choice too. PXE could work, but you might want a separate box/VLAN serving the PXE imagses. HP and Lenovo have thin client offerings in both standalone and laptop form. I like VMware for a lot of reasons, mainly VMotion but MS TS servers have their advantages too.

By the way, its Gb network not GB. Figure i'd nitpick that instead of people noticing it saying nothing to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

in the end i went on a standard client OS on Windows7, Server2008 with Remote Desktop and fully Gb network.
    Thanks for reply and typo re GB /Gb... :)

Advertisement