Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlesalnd Developer Reaches NAMA deal - WHERE'S OUR PLAYGROUND, and SCHOOL?!

Options
  • 11-05-2011 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

http://bit.ly/kwpXTt Mulryan AKA Ballymore, AKA Zapi, AKA Monarch, main deveolper of Charlesland has reached agreement with NAMA which will see them continue in business.

"its principal assets comprise a “development property and tangible fixed-asset portfolio” with a “carrying value” of €2.39 billion" !!!

Zapi only recently met the obligation to provide a community centre under the planning application of 2001 granted in 04 to include a playground. Zapi's latest position is that they cannot afford more than €50-60k for this but WCC reject the proposal.

Permission was also granted for Zapi to build houses and to sell a site for a school to the Board of education. If Zapi cannot afford to provide an appropriate playground, the easy fix is to sell the site now and use some of the proceeds to fund the playground.

Local FG councillors who were very active in promoting Zapi planning applications have been asked to action this but have not replied.

How can we get our playground and school?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Isn't the playground up in the sports center the one required under the planning permission?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

There is supposed to be a playground on the green on the spine road. I did see compliance drawings on the Planning section of Wicklow.ie but cannot pin-point them right now...as I remember all the necessary documents for completing the playgroud have been submitted to the compliance officer - I think we're just waiting on the actual build of it. The file ref I am looking at is 014910 but it could be under another number.

**edit: If I do remember rightly, the proposed playground had about 3 or 4 peices of equipment - it's not that big - even the Charlesland Sports and Recreational Park playground has more and that one poorly provides for kids under 3.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Sorry, but I think that a playground on the main green would be a total eyesore. It would have to be also fenced in becuase of cars on the roads. Uggh!

Lets face it, can anyone find me a playground in Ireland where every swing, slide and merry go round isn't covered in grafiti?

No thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Cant say I'd have a problem with a playground on the spine road, apart from the safety issue with cars flying up and down it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Emma A

personally dont think we have done too badly considering the nightmare ghost estates people have been left with no hope of things being finished never mind a playground

I think there are plenty of playgrounds around without one on the green its nice for kids just to have a kick about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Honestly!

astrofluff wrote: »
    There is supposed to be a playground on the green on the spine road. I did see compliance drawings on the Planning section of Wicklow.ie but cannot pin-point them right now...as I remember all the necessary documents for completing the playgroud have been submitted to the compliance officer - I think we're just waiting on the actual build of it. The file ref I am looking at is 014910 but it could be under another number.

**edit: If I do remember rightly, the proposed playground had about 3 or 4 peices of equipment - it's not that big - even the Charlesland Sports and Recreational Park playground has more and that one poorly provides for kids under 3.

I've explained above but, plans were submitted and WCC rejected as not good enough. The planning shows a playground but not the exact requirements. Ballymore contend they have €50k set aside and that's it because they are broke. But the beál bocht is total nonsense with massive developments like this in England: http://bit.ly/moC2nT !! WCC are rightly demanding a suitable facility for the 4,000 or so, residents and not a gratuitous few pieces of equipment.

A playground will be built on the spine road as planned so personal preference at this stage as to whether it should be there or not is a waste of space. However, if surrounded by hedging like where the benches etc. are now, it would look fine.

Appalling that the developers are dragging this out for 7 years now on hte playground and total silence on the school. Especially appalling after all the work the local councillors did for them in promoting all their rezonings and planning applications, including house calls around Charlesland with brochures and meet and greet at the display over by Superquinn. Surely these councillors should be treated with more respect by the developers after all the help they gave them.

Advertisement