Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting out other room in rented apartment

Options
  • 11-05-2011 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

if i was to rent a 2 bed apartment could i then get someone in to split the rent for the other room? im looking into shared accomadation but would like the option of meeting/finding the person i will be living with. i will have my daughter sharing my room shes just gone 2 so would need someone quiet, non-smoker etc.
    i dont know how to go about this as i know it will be very hard to get a room in a pre rented shared house since i have a young child.
    would i tell the landlord when im going to view the place? would i be the only person on the lease as i would need a month to be able to find someone to fill the room (i would pay the full rent that month), if so what happens if they dont pay the rent on time, will i be liable? would i even need to tell the landlord, ive heard the term sub-let but dont know if it would apply here
    i plan to move in 2 months so ive alot to sort out, i rang afew agents that were advertising 2 bed apartments to see if they would consider renting me a double room and having a seperate lease for the other room but was told no
    any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Most landlords would not agree to this as it sounds like hassle and will be hassle.
    To sublet the landlord has to agree.

So from a LL point of view you are a person who wants to rent a two bed place but can't afford it so you need to get the another person. Once that person is in you want the LL to hold them responsible and not you the person he is renting to.

Potential problems would scream out.
    1) If you don't find another person will you pay the full rent
    2) Who is this other person what are they like?
    3) If you move out and the other person wants to stay

It may sound harsh but I don't think you will find any LL to agree to that and not may people will want to move in with a stranger who has a 2 year old child either. Much better looking for a one bed or getting a friend to move in with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Techno_Toaster

Sub letting has too many problems and most landlords won't allow it. Unless you can find a friend or someone you know to rent with you you may have to rent a studio apartment somewhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

LL shouldn't have an issue as long as you agree to be 100% responsible for the total rent. i.e. if your flatmate moves out and it takes 2 months to find a new one then you must pay for the two months on top of your own.

Unless the rent is dirt cheap I can think of no reason why anybody would want to share a flat with a stranger who has a two year old child.

The only possibility is maybe you search for another single mother in a similiar situation to yourself, that way ye could babysit for each other etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭analbeads

its in galway that i will be looking to rent and i dont think i would have a problem finding someone for the room, there will be alot of students looking for places to rent afew weeks after i find a place and if i had to i would pay a bigger share of the rent and be responsible for the whole apartment.

my only other option is to be quick when i see a house come on daft renting per room and get in there 1st and claim a room and let it be the landlords responsibity to find people to live me a mother and child, surely he/she couldnt ask me to leave if they cant fill the other rooms because of this!

im only 24 and my child will be in creche from 9 till 6 so all they will see of her is 2 hours in the evening and she will be in her dads every second weekend so i cant see it being a huge issue

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

analbeads wrote: »
    im only 24 and my child will be in creche from 9 till 6 so all they will see of her is 2 hours in the evening and she will be in her dads every second weekend so i cant see it being a huge issue

I understand what you are saying but you should be a little bit more realistic on this. Think of who would really want to live in this situation unless they have a kid too.
    Your child will have toys, bikes and extra stuff that will spill into common areas. After 8 the other tenants are going to have to stay pretty quiet and every other weekend there will be a child in the house.
    I would think somebody willing to move into that situation is going to be extremely rare rather than not being a big issue. LL renting individual rooms are going to see it this way too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement