Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shotguns made in dublin

Options
  • 12-05-2011 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

Hi lads.was looking at an old shotgun today and it had an engraving on it from a dublin gunsmith. It was very worn so all I could get was a "w" for the name.any ideas?....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

William kavanagh ?

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

No,it was just a surname and "dublin"

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

Longranger wrote: »
    No,it was just a surname and "dublin"

Kavanagh shotguns were marked W. Kavanagh & sons or just W. Kavanagh Dublin
    Its probably that.
    Ive got a few.

Heres one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Nice piece.
    You're probably on the nose with your guesstimated date in and around the 1860's: The gunmakers address of 12 Dame Street is now the AIB bank building on Dame Street (and a fine building it is too by Deane of Woodword & Deane fame). This building was built and used as a bank since 1877 - so presumably your gun dates from just before that period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

dCorbus wrote: »
    Nice piece.
    You're probably on the nose with your guesstimated date in and around the 1860's: The gunmakers address of 12 Dame Street is now the AIB bank building on Dame Street (and a fine building it is too by Deane of Woodword & Deane fame). This building was built and used as a bank since 1877 - so presumably your gun dates from just before that period.

nice bit of back round info there dcorbus,

that is a lovely shot gun i would love a piece like that for over the mantle piece and the odd Sunday pheasant shoot ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Boiled-egg

Nice, are they demascus barrels??

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Croppy Boy

dCorbus wrote: »
    Nice piece.
    You're probably on the nose with your guesstimated date in and around the 1860's:

Probably 1870's or later with rebounding locks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Thanks Croppy Boy.
    Interesting info.
    From what you've told us, I've done some digging around on the interweb, and I understand that the Rebounding Hammer Lock was first introduced by J. Stanton of Wolverhampton in 1867. So combining that date with the fact that W. Kavanaghs can only have operated out of 12 Dame Street (as inscribed on Harmoniums' gun barrels), that means we have a pretty accurate dating to between 1867 - 1877. Although interestingly, Thoms Directory for 1884 lists W. Kavanagh & Sons still at 12 Dame Street in 1884. Earlier in 1846, the gunsmithery (if that's a word) of William Kavanagh is listed at 11 Dame Street (Not No. 12) and William Kavanagh & Son are listed at 4 Lower Ormond Quay. All kinda confusing really!

Apparently, Stanton supplied his locks to other gunmakers, so maybe Harmoniums could have a look at the lock and see if it is marked with anything resembling "J. Stanton GL".

Hi lads,thanks for the interest but it looks like know a lot less about sxs than I thought. I brought it to my RFD for a look and he reckons it's a Spanish gun that had been stamped by a Dublin smith/dealer. I'll post a couple of pics during the week just in case any of you are as bored as I am:) thanks again everyone:)

I'm looking forward to the pix!

• Advertisement

harmoniums wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to the pix!

It needs a little bit of work. A few scratches on the stock,bit of polishing and the bluing has to be touched up. One of the triggers needs a spring but my rfd is getting that done for me. It probably isn't worth much but it's a lovely comfy gun so i'm keeping it. It'll be nice for the woodies and snipe come october.

Longranger wrote: »
    It needs a little bit of work. A few scratches on the stock,bit of polishing and the bluing has to be touched up. One of the triggers needs a spring but my rfd is getting that done for me. It probably isn't worth much but it's a lovely comfy gun so i'm keeping it. It'll be nice for the woodies and snipe come october.

It may be collectable, I'm a fairly well known collector of Irish related firearms here in the States.
    Most Kavanagh cartridge shotguns go for $1000+, re-blueing usually detracts from the value.
    What grade would you say it is?

Advertisement