Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I wont name the shop

Options
  • 12-05-2011 12:20am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭

Bought my GF a diamond ring in London £480.
    Same ring in same companies shop in Dublin E1259
    No way is a Dublin shop cheaper to operate than one in London.
    Good news is that she thinks I spent the higher amount on her!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Can you confirm that the London one was not on any special offer? and also it was same carat and same colour intensity? (a change in colour letter can mean a big changes in price.)

If not then Ouch.

And if you had gone to the jewellry district in Birmingham, it would have cost even less.

For all others thinking of large diamond purchase, fly to birmingham, train to new street and its about a 15 minute signposted walk to the jewellry district.

The guts of 50 jewellers all together in a low rent area giving huge choice and superb value.

It can easily be done on a ryanair day trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 spezi

:eek:Dublin is one of the most expensive cities in the world for rents/rates but I couldnt imagine the price difference for same quality diamond that big...

you could probably get a deal as good as Birmingham in Kilkenny and save yourself the flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Why not name the shop?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭jett

The same product exactly.
    Similar price as Dublin in other jewellers in Clonmel, Limerick and Cork.
    Its a very well know group but I won't name them because I don't want an arguement with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

jett wrote: »
    The same product exactly.
    Similar price as Dublin in other jewellers in Clonmel, Limerick and Cork.
    Its a very well know group but I won't name them because I don't want an arguement with them.

so in essence the point of your post is to say that something was more expensive in ireland than the UK .. .. pointless really

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭michelledoh

Wow consider yourself lucky that you saw the ring in London before you bought her ring! It is frustrating but at the end of the day you found the bargain... and I'm sure the brownie pounds with the girlfriend make it totally worth it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

I won't name them because I don't want an arguement with them.

Well it's not a very helpful post so.

Then ignore it !
    If anyone is buying jewellry then PM me and I will tell them.
    I am again trying to be helpfull and getting knocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

I think all people are saying Jett is that the thread is a bit pointless, as all it functions as is a rant for you but no intel for anyone else. An extreme example would be telling relatives some of the passengers in a plane crash didn't make it, but I won't tell you which ones.:eek: So go on, name and shame.

This thread is about Rip Off. If the same company sells something in adjacent countries for twice the price its a rip off.
    Its not unique virtually every jewellery shop here is the same. They think they have a sewn up market.
    I am just bringing it to peoples notice.
    Best thing to do is use the net to price things and if its worth while buy mail order or as said above jet over and back and save money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

I am just bringing it to peoples notice.

Yes I am now aware that at least one shop in Dublin is a rip-off. Pity I don't know which one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

No Diamond would be the same, you'd have to do a like for like based on the certificate.

Theres a huge difference in price for minor differences in the scale:
    http://www.hwgem.com/diascale.htm

Total scam imo .. but thats the diamond market for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭jpmiddleton

Good news is that she thinks I spent the higher amount on her!

HA, brilliant, nice one. Where did you buy it in London?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭mikehunts

Did you get the ring in argos with the mower???

No! I have not posted the shops name because I have a very good relationship with the group as a whole. Only the Dublin shop was over priced.
    Plus the mower was purchased from a local small shop who sold a good product at the correct price. As told on another board.

you've posted in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

I was thinking of buying a diamond ring but now won't buy it anywhere in Dublin for fear the shop in question is ripping me off. Sadly my business will go abroad now.

I was thinking of buying a diamond ring but now won't buy it anywhere in Dublin for fear the shop in question is ripping me off. Sadly my business will go abroad now.

And you think a jeweller in another country won't????

If you use a reputable jeweller, you'll have a good ring at a good price. If you use a chain store that sells jewellry you won't.

Same applies wordwide.

Also, note that the OP won't name the store, so his claim can't be substantiated and comparisons can't be made which suggests he may be afraid someone will give a valid reason for the price difference, such as colour / clarity.

i explained why above, I wish I had not bothered with the whole thread.
    Its like for like just a major cost difference.
    Yes you do get what you pay for but to say a chain is worse than an independant is not neccasarily true.
    Oh it aint tesco or Argos:D

i explained why above, I wish I had not bothered with the whole thread.
    Its like for like just a major cost difference.
    Yes you do get what you pay for but to say a chain is worse than an independant is not neccasarily true.
    Oh it aint tesco or Argos:D

The only reason you are not naming it is either

a. - Its total crap what you are saying

or

b - you know people here will tear your claim apart

Name the place and we'll see if what you say is true - don't name it and I'll take it you're telling porkies.

As for chain store v independent - Chainstores have massive head office costs, greedy shareholders and usually high rent locations.

Local independents - just paying their way in life, no head offcie costs, no shareholders.

Guess who can always offer beter value? (applies to many retail areas and especially to jewlery & hardware. )

• Advertisement

Your flaming won't work with me.
    Go to any jewellers in Britain and compare like with like here and you will see a big difference in costs.
    Why?because the home market is priced to suit the consumer who often has more money than sense and who either does not know better or cannot be bothered.
    Its easier to just throw cash at something than put a bit of effort in.
    And thats why this Rip off Ireland thread exists.
    Now heres a challenge, find a jewellers in Ireland that will match a British price. You will even have a problem with Argos

Your flaming won't work with me.
    Go to any jewellers in Britain and compare like with like here and you will see a big difference in costs.
    Why?because the home market is priced to suit the consumer who often has more money than sense and who either does not know better or cannot be bothered.
    Its easier to just throw cash at something than put a bit of effort in.
    And thats why this Rip off Ireland thread exists.
    Now heres a challenge, find a jewellers in Ireland that will match a British price. You will even have a problem with Argos

The funny thing with this thread, there have been hardly any real rip-offs stated for a long long time. Yours is the first for months, yet you refuse to name the store?

And the only reason you refuse is because you know damn well, that people here will be able to check your story and will probably find it to be false.

So name the store involved as otherwise what you say can be taken with a pinch of salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

OP, don't know why you even started the thread if you weren't going to name the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

why would they?
    their wages ,rent, rates, various insurances, utilities, professional fees, etc. are much much higher than any UK store, so if they did match UK prices on a regular basis they'd be making almost no profit, or even a loss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Fine if you don't want to name the store

So take it to ranting & raving to let off some steam

What was useful about this place was examples were given and we could see mad pricing and see where to avoid

Ranting & raving is the place for your first post

• Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

why would they?
    their wages ,rent, rates, various insurances, utilities, professional fees, etc. are much much higher than any UK store, so if they did match UK prices on a regular basis they'd be making almost no profit, or even a loss

There are so many jewellers in Ireland, the OP couldn't say with absolute certainty that they're all more expensive than those in the UK.

This thread's going nowhere, unless we have a "guess the shop" competition.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

How about the "No Name Shop" - remember the no-name clubs years ago ?

It would explain why the OP can't name it...

very few people bother to post on this board.
    If I have done one person a service by making them think before blindly buying at a rip of price and saved them a bit then the flak was worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

very few people bother to post on this board.
    If I have done one person a service by making them think before blindly buying at a rip of price and saved them a bit then the flak was worth it.

It's unfortunate that anyone looking for a jewellery bargain in London, will have to spend an eternity wandering around the metropolis looking for the shop that you didn't name.

The vast majority of people in this country already think twice before they buy anything.

• Advertisement

ejmaztec wrote: »
    It's unfortunate that anyone looking for a jewellery bargain in London, will have to spend an eternity wandering around the metropolis looking for the shop that you didn't name.

The vast majority of people in this country already think twice before they buy anything.

NO - what jett is saying that all jewellers here are over priced and that every jeweller in the UK is not. :rolleyes:

Hate to say this jett, but I lived in the UK long enough to know that most high street chain stores are overly profitable and have a ridiculous head office cost, hence I avoid chain stores wherever possible.

An independent retailer will nearly always offer far better quality, far better pricing and far better service.

IMO - at £480, the ring was fairly basic enough, it was probably bought in a chain store and more than likely you paid way over the odds in any case.

I dare you to bring the said ring into a local jeweller and ask for their valuation!!

Or name the store in question and we can see if what you are saying is true or BS. - Looks more and more like BS to me and many others here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement