Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I wont name the shop

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

maxer68 wrote: »
    NO - what jett is saying that all jewellers here are over priced and that every jeweller in the UK is not. :rolleyes:

Hate to say this jett, but I lived in the UK long enough to know that most high street chain stores are overly profitable and have a ridiculous head office cost, hence I avoid chain stores wherever possible.

An independent retailer will nearly always offer far better quality, far better pricing and far better service.

IMO - at £480, the ring was fairly basic enough, it was probably bought in a chain store and more than likely you paid way over the odds in any case.

I dare you to bring the said ring into a local jeweller and ask for their valuation!!

Or name the store in question and we can see if what you are saying is true or BS. - Looks more and more like BS to me and many others here.

Ratner's being a prime example of one of these, where Gerald Ratner happened to mention that his company sold crap, and soon afterwards Ratner's went down the pan as a result.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭jett

Most everything bought in most any jewellers is well over a reasonable cost. The alternative does not exist.
    She is happy, I am happy,unless her friends are lying or ignorant they seem happy.
    I have been succesful in my task.
    Seems there may be a bit of jealousy creeping in here ( creeping on Elephant sized feet)
    Best advice, shop around and compare like for like.
    Top "quality" diamonds do not exist for the general public, they are marketed privately.
    Manufactured diamonds are better quality, the same material and cheap. Thing is they are not real in the eyes of the punter.
    I am now bored with this and anyone is welcome to their own opinion.

jett wrote: »
    Most everything bought in most any jewellers is well over a reasonable cost. The alternative does not exist.
    She is happy, I am happy,unless her friends are lying or ignorant they seem happy.
    I have been succesful in my task.
    Seems there may be a bit of jealousy creeping in here ( creeping on Elephant sized feet)
    Best advice, shop around and compare like for like.
    Top "quality" diamonds do not exist for the general public, they are marketed privately.
    Manufactured diamonds are better quality, the same material and cheap. Thing is they are not real in the eyes of the punter.
    I am now bored with this and anyone is welcome to their own opinion.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

You didn't buy her synthetic diamonds? :eek::eek::eek::D

Damn... I wish I could get away with that!:p

If it makes anyone happy the same ring in London is now E970 so I got a bargain.
    From the start I said i would not name the shop so anyone who does not like that need not bother getting involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

...to put a title on that post:P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

very few people bother to post on this board.
    If I have done one person a service by making them think before blindly buying at a rip of price and saved them a bit then the flak was worth it.

Name the Store Horse...end of !

If it makes anyone happy the same ring in London is now E970 so I got a bargain.
    From the start I said i would not name the shop so anyone who does not like that need not bother getting involved.

So it isn't a rip-off.

Either you bought it in a sale or it was mis-priced.

If it was bought in a sale at "half price" - you probably just about paid the right price and I would guess the shop was one of the major jewelery chains that have half price sales on every other week.

If it wa sa mis price - then you've done very well.

But no matter what way you are looking at it - it throws your rrip-off agrument out the window and down the river and confirm exactly what most people here have said.

Stupid stupid stupid (the thread not the op)

Like taking candy from a baby.
    I omited the title to see if anyone was picky enough to notice:D
    And I baited Maxer into his usual moan:D
    It is a Rip Off or else the moderatorn would have removed it.
    And no the price of gold rose to its highest.
    Still i don't care, she liked it, her friends liked it ( or they were being kind) and if the thread has made people think before they buy Jewellery in Irish rip off shops then it was worth it.
    Aiii thank yooooo

Like taking candy from a baby.
    I omited the title to see if anyone was picky enough to notice:D
    And I baited Maxer into his usual moan:D
    It is a Rip Off or else the moderatorn would have removed it.
    And no the price of gold rose to its highest.
    Still i don't care, she liked it, her friends liked it ( or they were being kind) and if the thread has made people think before they buy Jewellery in Irish rip off shops then it was worth it.
    Aiii thank yooooo

all I did was pointed out the utter stupidity of your post and you quite proved yourself.

No baiting - just pointing out that the discrepancy you claimed was down to soemthing else and you've just confirmed it - thus your OP was utter rubbish and of no use whatsoever to anyone.

My guess is you bought it in one of the over priced heavily advertised high rent high street stores and you would have got better value and probably nicer ring dealing with an independent jeweller either in the UK or here in Ireland.

There are plenty of rip-offs both here and the UK - pity this category can't show the real rip-offs and where they're taking place such as the tarmac & gutter types, the "tree surgeons" and others who rip off people who don't know better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭careca11

3 years ago , myself and my wife went to Dubai on holidays ,
    my wife's waned to buy a new wedding ring over there , she had a design in her head ,
    Got the ring custom made , platnuim with 5 diamond's in it , total cost was €3,000 ......the jeweller's came to the hotel to do fitting and talk over the procedure.

the same ring here in ireland €12,500, :eek:.

my wife's ring is valued at that price here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

The pricing of Diamonds is all Voodoo anyway,

With Color Cut Clarity and Carat.

Two of the yolks could look the exact same to the naked eye, one could be 200 euros and the other could be 5 grand because its flawless, clear and perfect cut.

So really you can't say I got X for this price and got the same one somewhere else for X price.

You didn't get the same one period, thats the whole point of Natural Diamonds.

We went to Diamondland in Antwerp, it was a nice experience, got to pick a design for the ring and then pick the diamond and then had a wedding ring made to fit the engagement ring.

You could be trying to save money up the wazoo but at the end of the day its what shes happy with

Myself I got a plain Gold band, not really into Jewelery anyway, hence why I thought it was a good idea she picked it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

As another Poster observed, it is the nature of each diamond to be unique, and by extrapolation each ring. You might compare similar with like but not like with like. I think your premise is weak for this reason, and also that you are unwilling to divulge the "rip-off" merchant, while hoping to glean kudos for saving another poster some cash.

Tha amount of venom on these boards from some people is astonishing:confused:

It was half-price day in the venom shop, so there's been a bulk purchase.

(I'm not telling you where the shop is though):pac:

ejmaztec wrote: »
    It was half-price day in the venom shop, so there's been a bulk purchase.

(I'm not telling you where the shop is though):pac:

Ah dude ... I found a shop in Ballylickey that lets you pay in sterling ..save you a fortune, damned Euro Venom sellers ripping people off :mad::mad::mad:

:):):)
    Point is that why do some people snipe at some peoples valid posts but contribute little themselves.
    I repeat, people are put off posting for fear of ridicule.
    If people read without impuning they might learn something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Damokc

1e2zc2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

:):):)
    Point is that why do some people snipe at some peoples valid posts but contribute little themselves.
    I repeat, people are put off posting for fear of ridicule.
    If people read without impuning they might learn something.

What has been the valid point of your post? Because I've been reading this thread for weeks and have yet to find it.

You refuse to name the store that allegedly was charging "rip off" prices.

You have ignored the very valid points made that every diamond is different, regarding the 4 Cs and also varied settings.

Then you say you are "baiting" posters. And then say that there's venom in their posts? Very mature.

Moderator pull the thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

careca11 wrote: »
    3 years ago , myself and my wife went to Dubai on holidays ,
    my wife's waned to buy a new wedding ring over there , she had a design in her head ,
    Got the ring custom made , platnuim with 5 diamond's in it , total cost was €3,000 ......the jeweller's came to the hotel to do fitting and talk over the procedure.

the same ring here in ireland €12,500, :eek:.

my wife's ring is valued at that price here
    you my friend have more money than sense :)
    you know where the web browser is ;)

this is a fairly useless thread as no one knows where this place is:rolleyes:

I have replied to this privately.
    Don't anyone else bother me because I am not posting on this board again.
    In other words bother someone else.

Boards awards -

This thread to win the boring and most useless thread of the year award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

agree

Terrible.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Delightful message from jett

jett wrote:
    If you don't like my post then why not ignore it rather than rubishing me in public at least I wrote to you privately.
    If you are bothered to read rather than jump on Maxers band wagon then you will see why I did not name the shop.
    My point was to warn others that its worth going abroad rather than buying stuff here.
    Boards ie is dying because people don't post for fear of getting stupid comments like yours.
    Not my loss because I won't bother anymore.
    a) a visitor message is NOT private.
    b) i did read the thread, theres two minutes of my life i'll never get back.

I'm jumping on no ones band wagon,
    boards is dying because of retarded threads, like yours whereby, "we're being ripped off, but i aint telling you who by"

well done you ;)

just thought i'd share

So why is this such a well read thread.
    There are lots of jealous people who cannot read or take advantage of the advice given
    Irish Jewellers are a con. They have a captive market.
    Read, think and apply.
    The Shop does not matter its generic.
    And anyone who posts a private message in public is an omadon.
    So just sod off and post something original yourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Bought my GF a diamond ring in London £480.
    Same ring in same companies shop in Dublin E1259
    No way is a Dublin shop cheaper to operate than one in London.
    Good news is that she thinks I spent the higher amount on her!
    Go into a jewellers here, and get the price of it assessed - the price they give you may be low here as well.

My point - if you look for something cheap, it may well be cheap. I hope it's not, and that you got a good bargain, but before you go lambasting the sh|te you can buy in Ireland, make sure that you didn't buy the sh|te in england.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭SellingJuan

Dublin Kilkenny Limerick they are all the same RIP OFF !! I buy my jewlery in Spain. My Sliver bracelet. Spain 40 euro. Ireland 120 euro (Lighter and all) Everything in this country is a rip off. I dont know why anyone would ever come here on holidays !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Dublin Kilkenny Limerick they are all the same RIP OFF !! I buy my jewlery in Spain. My Sliver bracelet. Spain 40 euro. Ireland 120 euro (Lighter and all) Everything in this country is a rip off. I dont know why anyone would ever come here on holidays !!
    By "lighter and all", do you mean it's physically lighter?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement