Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

krav maga

• 12-05-2011 12:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭

hi guys I started doing krav maga and have taken 4 lessons already. Its beginners but I'm finding some of the techniques tricky and I'm a slow learner compared to others in the group. Is it worth my while keeping it on? I have heard people saying that it's the easiest self defence to learn. How can I improve my skills? It annoys me that I cant pick it up as quick as some of the others in the group. Would a punchbag be worth an investment?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

teednab-el wrote: »
    hi guys I started doing krav maga and have taken 4 lessons already. Its beginners but I'm finding some of the techniques tricky and I'm a slow learner compared to others in the group.

Despite the marketing hype of K.M. - four lessions is no time at all, have some patience.
    Is it worth my while keeping it on?

If your enjoying it, keep at it.

I have heard people saying that it's the easiest self defence to learn.

Meh, marketing hype - pay it no heed.

How can I improve my skills?

Keep practicing maybe?... Or use the skills you might have now, which will be minimal - take them to a style/club where you practice 'live' training (ie against resisting partners) and see how useful K.M. is.

It annoys me that I cant pick it up as quick as some of the others in the group. Would a punchbag be worth an investment?

Cheers.

Does a punchbag try shoot back with an AK47 (its K.M. eh!).

Short answer to all that, if you enjoy it then by all means stick it out.

Unless your Fat Freddie or one of the Southhill (Limerick) crew your unlikely to ever face the business end of a gun or knife so don't be overly stressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Does a punchbag try shoot back with an AK47 (its K.M. eh!).

Just wanted to know if it would help me with my punching and kicking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭HammerHeadGym

To put it in context for you, if you were a carpenter, 4 classes would be equal to your first days work. Would you expect to go from apprentice to carpenter in that time?
    With any physical skill there will be a long training time before you have an unconcious competence. Don't worry how long it takes, especially if you're enjoying it.

Finally, I think the world would be a better place if everyone had punchbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If you know how to use one without injuring yourself, there's a reason most gyms don't have them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

hi guys I started doing krav maga and have taken 4 lessons already. Its beginners but I'm finding some of the techniques tricky and I'm a slow learner compared to others in the group. Is it worth my while keeping it on? I have heard people saying that it's the easiest self defence to learn. How can I improve my skills? It annoys me that I cant pick it up as quick as some of the others in the group. Would a punchbag be worth an investment?

Cheers.

These things take time. It took me a good three weeks or so to learn how to do a breakfall without injuring yourself. People learn at different paces; 4 lessons isn't nearly enough time to start seeing results.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ziodro

In 2007 reporter Robert Carry from Metro Eiran wrote an article about Krav Maga.
    Below link to interview with Robert Bednarski instructor of Krav Maga Group.I really recommend to read it all:

http://www.kravmagagroup.ie/interview.jpg

I think there is plenty of information how krav maga training supose to look like. From 2007 a lot of things has been changed in Krav Maga Group (for example Bednarski is not teaching groups of Poles only, his english is now good enough :-) ) but one thing wasn't changed:HARD WORK & REGULAR BASED TRAINING.
    I love the last part of this article where Bednarski summed it up:
    "If you want to get fit or have a fun you should to go aerobics classes.If you want to defend yourself you should go to Krav Maga"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

I know your new to martial arts, but it's like asking would weight training improve your strength.

Advertisement