Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tribal mauri shouder tatoo?

Options
  • 12-05-2011 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

I have decided to get my first tattoo and i really like the mauri tribal designs. Im thinkin of getting some sort of sleeve from my elbow up and onto my shoulder is there any specific place/artist in dublin that people would recommend for this style? Any feedback is much appreciated
    Cheers:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

For the love of all thats good & holy please don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Dangerdunf

sentient_6 wrote: »

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭technodub

i would aslo like to know why? :D

Skangerish, meaningless, common as muck, & i very much doubt your a pacific islander.

But hey. Wouldnt let some random guy on the internet put ya off either. :pac:

Skangerish, meaningless, common as muck, & i very much doubt your a pacific islander.

Haha well I value your opinion but I will definitely not let some random guy on the internet put me off it! The way I see it I like the design and with your reaction to the matter I don't think you would be someone I would befriend so probably wont consider your opinion but thank you all the same :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

Read this thread earlier and thought to myself "How rude". Fair play OP. If that's what you want, you get it, just make sure that you get a good artist to do it for you.

diddlybit wrote: »
    Read this thread earlier and thought to myself "How rude". Fair play OP. If that's what you want, you get it, just make sure that you get a good artist to do it for you.

Ye well the thread was started to find somewere good to get the kind of tattoo i liked done not to to find out peoples opinions on them each to there own and all that ! At the moment though i have gotten nowere :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Miguel in Art Tattoo does alot of this sort of tattoo and has produced some really good work, havent been in there in a while so dont know how busy he has been or if he is there, know he spends some time of the year in Italy. Art tattoo is opposite luigi malones, above a shop and cafe.

Darren in colourworks has been doing a good bit of this work too but know he is booked out pretty much until july, also he is going to canada soon so would have to get in quick to talk to him about it. Colourworks is just down from the foggy dew pub and above a clothes shop.

These would just be the studios I would be most familiar with but have a look at the portfolios of the artists in other shops as well. Snakebite, Wildcat and classic ink would be some other well known studios.

cheers joey thats very helpfull mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,387 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What are your tatoos? Do you have any?

You you have to be a pacific islander to get a maori tatoo? I didn't know that was part of the rules.
    Should irish people only get tribal stuff? Or do you have the same feelings as its just as "skangerish and common as muck". But its up to people to choose their own design.

Also based on your "common as muck" comment, I'm not sure you are thinking of a maori design. Compared to the overwhelming majority of generic tribal stuff in ireland, I would say that maori stuff isn't that common at all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

I think you should google the difference between kirituhi and moko because I really dont understand how people can be so opinionated yet ill-informed :rolleyes:

Anyway on a lighter note, go for it OP

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

At least have it done by real Maori's, all you need to do is earn their trust for a few years :D

A friend of mine had it done the traditional way, took them 8 hours give or take.

Mellor wrote: »
    What are your tatoos? Do you have any?

You you have to be a pacific islander to get a maori tatoo? I didn't know that was part of the rules.
    Should irish people only get tribal stuff? Or do you have the same feelings as its just as "skangerish and common as muck". But its up to people to choose their own design.

Also based on your "common as muck" comment, I'm not sure you are thinking of a maori design. Compared to the overwhelming majority of generic tribal stuff in ireland, I would say that maori stuff isn't that common at all

Generic thick black tribal sh*te is exactly what i had in mind. If its what the OP is talking about then i stand over my comments, if its not, then meh, well wear i supppose.

EDIT: to answer your first question:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66815351&postcount=4146

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66835885&postcount=4153

Well that proves my point, you made a sweeping comment about Maori tatoos when you don't even know what there are.

Here's some examples;

I think this one!! is interesting. A bit too big to embed so just linked it

this one below is pretty typical
    maori-tattoos-300x234.jpg

What i find a funny about your comments. Is that you dismissed tham as being common as muck, in my experience Celtic stuff is far more common in europe (I don't agree with you that it's a negative thing). Celtic and Mauri are quite close in a few aspects imo, but obvious both unique.

Generic thick black tribal sh*te is exactly what i had in mind. If its what the OP is talking about then i stand over my comments, if its not, then meh, well wear i supppose.

EDIT: to answer your first question:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66815351&postcount=4146

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66835885&postcount=4153

I'm curious can ya post up an example of the "Generic thick black tribal sh*te" that your refering to?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Teangalad

Well that proves my point, you made a sweeping comment about Maori tatoos when you don't even know what there are.

Here's some examples;

What i find a funny about your comments. Is that you dismissed tham as being common as muck, in my experience Celtic stuff is far more common in europe (I don't agree with you that it's a negative thing). Celtic and Mauri are quite close in a few aspects imo, but obvious both unique.

Where did you get the link for the first one if you mind me asking>?

Clohane wrote: »
    I'm curious can ya post up an example of the "Generic thick black tribal sh*te" that your refering to?

I was hoping to bow out of the thread at this stage but this:

tribal-tattoo-03.jpg

But if its not what the OP was on about i'll get me coat.

I was hoping to bow out of the thread at this stage but this:

tribal-tattoo-03.jpg

But if its not what the OP was on about i'll get me coat.

Dont you know your not allowed bow out around here :D

This is maori style:
    new-zealand-maori-kirituhi-custom-shoulder-tattoo-design-10.jpg

Teangalad wrote:
    Where did you get the link for the first one if you mind me asking>?
    Came accross it via google. The site was tattoo.whaig.com, it originally came from an album cover from New Zealand. It's not traditional maori obviously (that's why i linked the second pic), but its by a maori artist and heavily inspired.

I quite like it
    Dont you know your not allowed bow out around here :D

This is maori style:
    new-zealand-maori-kirituhi-custom-shoulder-tattoo-design-10.jpg

Was my second one not good enough ;)
    Pretty similar to my pic above, nothing like the tribal linked above

Go for it OP.. But only if you're happy with everybody who doesn't know the difference thinking you're just another lad with a tribal tattoo. That would be about 90%.
    Out of the remaining 10% who see a mauri design, 5% will think it's good and 5% will think it's not right because it's done with a gun.

I personally like mauri but I'd never get one.

• Advertisement

Was my second one not good enough ;)
    Pretty similar to my pic above, nothing like the tribal linked above

Apologies Mellor, was having a "someone's wrong on the internet" moment.... got a bit carried away making sure they knew it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭mooeire

Here's some examples;

Just got one done based on this pic by Anna in Nine Lives in Bray, delighted with it! Think ill get it extended down my arm :)

Go for it OP.. But only if you're happy with everybody who doesn't know the difference thinking you're just another lad with a tribal tattoo. That would be about 90%.
    Out of the remaining 10% who see a mauri design, 5% will think it's good and 5% will think it's not right because it's done with a gun.

I personally like mauri but I'd never get one.
    I honestly don't think 90% would think it was " just another lad with a tribal tattoo" if they seen it, obviously they might if you just said mauri tribal tattoo.

I really think the purist who think a good is not right are less than that too. I see mauri tattooists using guns in lots of shops, it's not as much a faux pas as you suggest
    Apologies Mellor, was having a "someone's wrong on the internet" moment.... got a bit carried away making sure they knew it :D

Ah I was only kidding, that's why I put in the ;)
    The more example the better as somebody will likely search for the phrase in the future

I honestly don't think 90% would think it was " just another lad with a tribal tattoo" if they seen it, obviously they might if you just said mauri tribal tattoo.

People just don't look at the detail if it looks like a random tribal tattoo.. They just see a block of tattoo and would never notice any difference or even remember what shapes it had 5 minutes later. I'd say it's easily 90%.

For me, it's just not worth having something that most people think is an overdone cliche tattooed on a visible part of my body.. You know it's different but if it's visible, then you clearly care about what other people think aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 deepeedublin

looks amazing, oh to have the nerve to get one....

People just don't look at the detail if it looks like a random tribal tattoo.. They just see a block of tattoo and would never notice any difference or even remember what shapes it had 5 minutes later. I'd say it's easily 90%.

For me, it's just not worth having something that most people think is an overdone cliche tattooed on a visible part of my body.. You know it's different but if it's visible, then you clearly care about what other people think aswell.
    Well, we'll jsut have to disagree on the 90%.
    I live in australia, and i've heard countless of guys casually mention the mauri tattoos that you see on footballers. These are guys haven't a notion about tattoo styles, but they've refered to them as that. They also had positive comments.

I also wouldn't care if people thought my tattoo as cliched, i have reason for not getting a visable tattoo, the style isn't one of them

Well I agree with that.. That's why I specifically mentioned it being visible or not.

My point is, the cliched issue, and the visable issue are not related in any way, for you they appear to be

Advertisement