Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord keeping deposit for settee that was already broken

Options
  • 12-05-2011 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hello, just wondering if anyone has any advice on this issue for me. Moved out of a house a couple of weeks ago, still no sign of the deposit - called the landlord today and she said that she was keeping 180 euro of our 580 euro deposit for a settee that she claims we destroyed. The settee was broken when we moved in - we have both photographs and witnesses to this - which I told her, but she said her agents had assured her that it was in perfect condition. When I argued with her on it she said that we never reported it and therefore we must have broken it. I argued that they already knew it was broken, so what was the point in asking for it to be replaced - if they cared it would already have been replaced. The very first time the shower was used it leaked through the ceiling into the living room - which they obviously had to know about as well but hadn't fixed. Think I'm going to take her to the PRTB - does anyone think I have a case?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

Hello, just wondering if anyone has any advice on this issue for me. Moved out of a house a couple of weeks ago, still no sign of the deposit - called the landlord today and she said that she was keeping 180 euro of our 580 euro deposit for a settee that she claims we destroyed. The settee was broken when we moved in - we have both photographs and witnesses to this - which I told her, but she said her agents had assured her that it was in perfect condition. When I argued with her on it she said that we never reported it and therefore we must have broken it. I argued that they already knew it was broken, so what was the point in asking for it to be replaced - if they cared it would already have been replaced. The very first time the shower was used it leaked through the ceiling into the living room - which they obviously had to know about as well but hadn't fixed. Think I'm going to take her to the PRTB - does anyone think I have a case?
    yes but go to the letting agents office first and show the photo(do not give it to them) tell them you are reporting their client to the PRTB, then ring the landlord and tell them the agent has seen the photos and they will shorly he hearing from the PRTB.

Common sense should prevail and you'll get a phonecall offering your deposit back in full

A lot of these people are chancers and you really have to show them your no pushover.

Let us know how you get on

Advertisement