Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Phone

Options
  • 12-05-2011 1:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Hey, not sure if its the right section but my HTC Desire was stolen last night, I rang up Meteor to lock the phone so the scumbag who stole it would have no use of it, they said under the data protection act they couldn't (I bought the phone on adverts) so currently some scumbag has my phone which is unlocked for themselves and no good comes from it, how can I stop this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Did you have wavesecure, prey or another remote secure app installed?
    Probably not in which case you may as well forget it.

BTW it might help other people if you can tell us how it got stolen so the same does not happen to others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 QwertyFinger

Hindsights a great thing haha.
    BTW it might help other people if you can tell us how it got stolen so the same does not happen to others.

Pickpocketed from my jacket pocket, basically, keep your phone in your trousers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Hindsights a great thing haha.

Not really - it was one of the first things I installed on my phone - I also bought sim-free...

Pickpocketed from my jacket pocket, basically, keep your phone in your trousers.
    :D You might get some temporary pleasure in return if you got pick-pocketed in that case.

It's a bummer but at least you are drawing awareness now to pick-pocketing.
    btw - sometimes you can buy back your phone from the scum.... you did try ringing it?

Tried, as soon as I realised it was gone I rang it, off, no chance... I've been roaming adverts and gumtree for a 2nd hand HTC desire with no box for sale, I know its a long shot but I've just been asking for the IMEI number to see if its unlockable due to me doing it in spare time *cough load of bollox* due to having the box.

All in all I know I'm not going to get the phone back, but it infuriates me that there are people like this, stealing your stuff, I didn't think it'd ever happen to me due to being 6'6 and a mountain of a person.

Lessons can be learnt from it though, obviously. I'd be more annoyed about it if there was anything I could do, guess not, back to using a lovely Nokia 3310. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭rayh

Hey, not sure if its the right section but my HTC Desire was stolen last night, I rang up Meteor to lock the phone so the scumbag who stole it would have no use of it, they said under the data protection act they couldn't (I bought the phone on adverts) so currently some scumbag has my phone which is unlocked for themselves and no good comes from it, how can I stop this?

Do I assume you do not have the IMEI number and on what basis have Meteor decided to advance the Data Protection Act?

• Advertisement

I have the IMEI number, I bought the phone on adverts, its unlocked, I'm unsure of which network it was on originally, they've said they can't lock a phone on that for some ridiculous reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭rayh

I have the IMEI number, I bought the phone on adverts, its unlocked, I'm unsure of which network it was on originally, they've said they can't lock a phone on that for some ridiculous reason.

Have you tried going face to face in the Meteor store as I understand that they have access to a Central Equipment Identity Register as I suspect there maybe an issue about identity across other communication media.

We must have some recourse to this type of behaviour

I think I'll do it tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

Normally if you have been making calls with an IMEI they should be able block it through your account, however if the IMEI is registered to another customer's account they may require that custoemr to contact them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

My HTC Sensation fell out of my pocket in a taxi Saturday night and no luck getting it back since :-( I had Wavesecure installed and was able to lock it from my computer. Put a contact number to call to return it on the lock message but nothing so far!

Called Vodafone this morning and now it's blocked via IMEI so no use to anyone on an Irish network at least. I had hoped Wavesecure would work a bit better and won't be relying on it in the future.

Cheers,
    M

• Advertisement
Advertisement