Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shot my 1st gig! (C+C)

• 12-05-2011 3:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭

I made a thread a few weeks ago about pushing film and wanting to use it to shoot a gig.. Well I didn't push the film and I had a digital camera as well so most of the shot's were digital :p I wont overload the thread with images so ill link ye off to my blog with all the images from the night. Im pretty happy with the results but as always its nice to get another opinion :) The 4th shot is one of the film shots. As you can see its very grainy/contrasty :p

http://daz0rz.wordpress.com/2011/05/12/shot-something-new/

5705832284_6c46be7480_z.jpg

5712056132_2ffe758d94_z.jpg

5705831898_e01a304b1c_z.jpg

5705832610_1a562ff885_z.jpg

5705831698_d4e760f9e2_z.jpg

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Comments

Fantastic shots. I very much like them, though, oddly, I'm not sold on the film one at all. By itself, it's nice, and maybe it's just me, but it looks terrible in comparison to the digital shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Yeah I agree with you! The quality difference is huge. I had shot two rolls and I destroyed one of them in developing! I reckon if I had of saved it, it would have had some decent shots. The ones here were taken with 2.8 24mm lens. I messed up the 1.8 50mm ones :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

1) Guy is not doing enough and hence no feel of atmosphere, the lighting is nice though.

2) This is a far poorer version of #1, bad pic to include for C&C, didn't check ur flickr as I hate using flickr :o
    This pic just hasn't much going for it, it's cluttered, the giu looks awkward, anyine that holds a bass that high should be shot on the spot...

3) I can't find any properties for the quick glance I did have on flickr, It doesn't look like you used spot metering for the face and obviously you had to shoot wide open as you didn't use a flash but it can show if you don't focus the face enough, I've had this problem b4.

4) Favourite of the lot, not cos its film but it captures raw emotion of the band and I love the angle of the band, the film grain looks superb too, I wouldn't shoot all in film though, the odd one is fine.

5) This is excellent too, nice angle, I've shot from this angle b4 and yes it helps when the frontman turns round...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I like the first one the most. If he was facing you a bit more it'd be class.
    The last one is good but the lead singer is far away...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

niiiice. pity about the film ones you lost, but the last shot here is top. really really excellent shot. if i was that band i'd be made up with that shot. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

The last one is the most striking for me. Not that the others aren't great, but it's hard to be original with Irish venues (angles, lighting etc).

That last one is belter. Original, interesting and it says more about the band and venue that the others put together!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

Definitely the last one for me - great shot, but also love the film one, very gritty.

1) Guy is not doing enough and hence no feel of atmosphere, the lighting is nice though.

2) This is a far poorer version of #1, bad pic to include for C&C, didn't check ur flickr as I hate using flickr :o
    This pic just hasn't much going for it, it's cluttered, the giu looks awkward, anyine that holds a bass that high should be shot on the spot...

3) I can't find any properties for the quick glance I did have on flickr, It doesn't look like you used spot metering for the face and obviously you had to shoot wide open as you didn't use a flash but it can show if you don't focus the face enough, I've had this problem b4.

4) Favourite of the lot, not cos its film but it captures raw emotion of the band and I love the angle of the band, the film grain looks superb too, I wouldn't shoot all in film though, the odd one is fine.

5) This is excellent too, nice angle, I've shot from this angle b4 and yes it helps when the frontman turns round...

I agree with ya on the 2nd I wasn't even planning on putting it up.. I felt better putting each member up instead of just the two. Its very boring on its own.

The 3rd shot, I just checked and it was spot metering. I did quite a bit of dodging/burning in photoshop to fix these up.

Yeah I like their expressions in the 4th one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭linearcutter

Good work fella......if you say it's your first gig shoot so the main thing in my opinion with new scenarios probably more important than the results, is the learning you came away with, and taking it with you into the next gig.

Out of curiousity....did you shoot the digital on a B&W setting or de-saturate them after? Also, is the grain in the digital stuff from a high ISO or PP? Not that it takes away from the achievement!

Id say its 90% from the camera. The only real editing I did was convert to B&W brightness/contrast and sharpening to finish which probably added a bit of digital grain.

I've learned I would like faster lenses next time :p Seriously though I didn't mention this but 90% of what I did that night was from years of seeing gigs shots on here. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭linearcutter

Ah.....I hear ya on the faster lens. I've woken up many times in a cold sweat like Clooney in Oh Brother where Art Thou..."uhhh...faster lens."!!!

In terms of B&W, the reason i ask is that I've found shooting B&W is good for getting used to playing with exposure in camera, but converting from colour, particularly slightly over saturated colour gives good results. Also like to add a drop of tint to the mix myself.

Advertisement