Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows/Mac OSX on laptop hard drives...

Options
  • 12-05-2011 5:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I have a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Xi 1547. 2007 vintage still going strong for general internet/multimedia stuff...

Doing a masters at the moment and we use macs all the time. At first I hated Mac OS but its grown massively on me over the year, particularly useful for graphic design work and all that lark. First of all can Mac OSX run on my machine? Its currently running 32bit Xp. In an ideal world I'd be putting Windows xp and mac on it either through a partition or one OS on each HDD. I still want windows for stuff like 3D CAD and maybe a game or two!
    Can this be done?

I'm also looking to upgrade one of the hard drives. It has two 80gb hard drives, can I just buy a bigger drive and replace the second (D:) drive with it?
    Anyone recommend a decent reasonably priced HDD to throw in there? I have an external HDD but thats a pain to be hooking up all the time...

Any hep appreciated! And if I didn't make myself clear do SHOUT!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭burrentech

Hi all

I have a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Xi 1547. 2007 vintage still going strong for general internet/multimedia stuff...

Doing a masters at the moment and we use macs all the time. At first I hated Mac OS but its grown massively on me over the year, particularly useful for graphic design work and all that lark. First of all can Mac OSX run on my machine? Its currently running 32bit Xp. In an ideal world I'd be putting Windows xp and mac on it either through a partition or one OS on each HDD. I still want windows for stuff like 3D CAD and maybe a game or two!
    Can this be done?

I'm also looking to upgrade one of the hard drives. It has two 80gb hard drives, can I just buy a bigger drive and replace the second (D:) drive with it?
    Anyone recommend a decent reasonably priced HDD to throw in there? I have an external HDD but thats a pain to be hooking up all the time...

Any hep appreciated! And if I didn't make myself clear do SHOUT!

It will depend on the hardware, check the hackintosh website. Its a good place to start. Your hard drives should be easy to upgrade, seems thay are sata drives so should be easy to get in up to 500gb, some even up to 1tb.

The hackintosh site should be able to help with dual boot options too.

Before you swap out your spare 80gb drive make a clone of your system so if it goes wrong you can always go back to your current setup, Clonezilla will help.

I've used this place before, and they do list a 320GB that should suit for a good price. Nierle.de There are many more places so you'll need to shop around.
    Good Luck

Advertisement