Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everyman Palace Theatre - The Big Fellah

Options
  • 12-05-2011 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,857 ✭✭✭

I have tickets for tonights show - has anyone been yet and what's the verdict? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Saw it last night - one of the best plays I've seen in years. The cast put on a brilliant performance. The comic moments had us laughing loudly, the violence was too/so real that you could hear the gasps of the audience, mind you I think I actually yelped a few times. My friend described it as "risque" but I think the nudity added to the realism of the situation. It was just an incredible performance - and I think you'll be blown away by the show. I want to say so much more - but I don't want to ruin it for you. If you don't know what to expect - it makes it so much better! :)

Let me know your views tomorrow - dying to hear what others think of it. J

• Registered Users Posts: 6,857 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Judes wrote: »
    Saw it last night - one of the best plays I've seen in years. The cast put on a brilliant performance. The comic moments had us laughing loudly, the violence was too/so real that you could hear the gasps of the audience, mind you I think I actually yelped a few times. My friend described it as "risque" but I think the nudity added to the realism of the situation. It was just an incredible performance - and I think you'll be blown away by the show. I want to say so much more - but I don't want to ruin it for you. If you don't know what to expect - it makes it so much better! :)

Let me know your views tomorrow - dying to hear what others think of it. J

Hey Judes - Thanks for that. You've really got me interested now and I can't wait to see (all of) it. Will post my views tonight / tomorrow. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I got tickets for the show on Friday, going to go with herself. Looking forward to it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭fairchild

saw it in dublin three weeks ago and felt well entertained.

it doesn't drag on, has a good pace and some funny, if not fairly harsh lines. as a foreigner i might not have picked up on all the subtleties of the main republican theme and the relevance to irish modern history, but it wasn't handled particular subtle come to think of it.

still one thing nags me : if you have all the dramatic possibilities of the theatre, why cave in and essentially direct like a telly drama. everything - costumes, set, acting, oh so risque nudity is toned to the telly consuming eye and i wonder why then staging something in the first place. just for the ritual of getting off the sofa?
    don't want to do the actors injustice- highly focused and engaging. the comic parts slightly patronizing for my taste.

base line- its a good night out
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,857 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Well I just got back from the show and really enjoyed it. Fantastic cast and brilliant set etc. A bit violent and gruesome at times but I'm a bit wimpy and not great with with that kind of stuff so others may not agree with me there. The nudity neither added or detracted but was not in the least bit offensive and to be fair it was a well played scene.

I really enjoyed the progression of the characters and felt I almost knew them personally by the end.

Overall a great show and I'd highly recommend it. If all theatre was like this I'd be there every week. Well done to all involved.

• Advertisement
Advertisement