Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question on Model Releases from Fashion Shows

• 12-05-2011 10:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭

So you are taking pictures at a public fashion show, can you provide the pictures to the designers who's pieces are in the show without your own copy of a model release?

I would presume a release is part of the models contract with the designer/show promoter etc, should the photographer have to worry about that, or is it the problem of the designer if they use the photo to advertise or promote their business?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

My understanding is that the photographer should get the model release in this case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

And if those models were hired and there on a paid assignment, would the photographer (i.e. me) be expected to pay for a release, or should I contact the agency?

If you are using images of the models, then you need to deal with the models (or their agency).

It doesn't matter who is paying the model, but if you want to use their image to sell to a business (even sell back to the agency they work for), then you should get a release.

That's my understanding anyway.

Thanks, I presume it doesn't change anything if I am providing the images for free to the business?

Nope, free or for large amounts make no difference at all.

The only difference may be for editorial use - to papers, etc.

But to supply to a business (any business, for any commercial/advertising use) you'd need a model release.

• Advertisement

Thanks Paul!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭ttcomet

To confuse the issue slightly I believe you can sell an image to a business for commercial use without a model release. However they would not be able to use it until they (or you) got a release. Although why any business would buy an image off someone that they may not be subsequently able to use I have no idea.

If you were going to do this I would suggest making sure that it is clearly and prominently stated in any contract that the images were subject to needing a release.

Personally I would try get signed releases before I started to take the images.

Another small point, define "public". If it is held on private property but open to the public you may not be allowed take pictures at the venue without permission. If its out on public property then I think it is fair game.

ttcomet wrote: »
    To confuse the issue slightly I believe you can sell an image to a business for commercial use without a model release. However they would not be able to use it until they (or you) got a release. Although why any business would buy an image off someone that they may not be subsequently able to use I have no idea.

If you were going to do this I would suggest making sure that it is clearly and prominently stated in any contract that the images were subject to needing a release.

Personally I would try get signed releases before I started to take the images.

Another small point, define "public". If it is held on private property but open to the public you may not be allowed take pictures at the venue without permission. If its out on public property then I think it is fair game.

It was in a hotel, and I was there officially at the request of one of the designers, and cleared by the event organiser.

Advertisement