Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family holiday in UK - ideas?

Options
  • 12-05-2011 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi, I am considering travelling to the UK this summer for a family holiday, 2 adults and 4 children (aged from 8 down to 2.5 years), considering taking car across on ferry. Has anyone any recommendations of family friendly places to stay/visit? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Little Bubbles

Thinking of doing the same thing. Was thinking of going to Liverpool by ferry. Anyone done this? Whats it like? Any info on what or where to stay for two adults and one baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

We've been to Centre Parcs in the UK (Whinfell Forest in Cumbria) and the kids absolutely loved it - there are 4 different locations. Not cheap, but they have lots of things to do for all ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭stedeb

hi All
    i also am looking at this ,
    i am looking on irish ferries website at the haven holidays in prestatyn ,
    has anybode gone here before (price is 820 for a week if booked before end may) , trabolgan here is 900 plus
    also do we need passports as ours are expired and will need to get for 2 adults 2 kids and infant which will bump the price up hughly

any advice would be great
    thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Hi

I did a trip last year - with the 3 kids.
    Stayed 2 days in North Wales - in Landudno.
    Went to a slate mine nearby - super day out.
    Even the boat ride was a mini-hol :)

Stayed another day in Swindon - nice hotel -not much else
    Went onto London & did legoland for 2 days ( 2 days is needed - 3 is too much)
    and then did a bigger park on the 3rd day.
    Spent 2 days in London - cousins etc - and then home.
    Great trip - we all enjoyed it.

with 2 + 3 - the cost in July for flying is just mad.
    this year - 4 days in clare and maybe a cheapo w/e in London (sightseeing this time).

K

• Registered Users Posts: 2 July2011

Hi there

We are thinking of heading to Butlins Skegness for 4 nights in September, 2 adults 2 kids 8 & 3..has anybody any experience of Butlins Skegness .. We are hoping to get the ferry from Dublin to Holyhead..

We are open to other places to visit after that, travel around head England even head down south to London maybe... How was your experience in uk as family holiday

Any recommendations would be great

Thanks a million

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Unz88

North Wales, Lake District, Oxfordshire, Peak District

• Registered Users Posts: 2 July2011

I'll look them up, thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

July2011 wrote: »
    Hi there

We are thinking of heading to Butlins Skegness for 4 nights in September, 2 adults 2 kids 8 & 3..has anybody any experience of Butlins Skegness .. We are hoping to get the ferry from Dublin to Holyhead..

We are open to other places to visit after that, travel around head England even head down south to London maybe... How was your experience in uk as family holiday

Any recommendations would be great

Thanks a million

Have been traveling over to butlins (minehead) for the last 4 years.

Absolutely brilliant. Loads to do, especially for kids. Would highly recommend. Damn long drive though.

Also, I hear that the site is far safer and more up to date than Skegness or bognor Regis .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Holyhead to Skegness is about a five hour drive

https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/Holyhead,+UK/Skegness,+UK/@53.2784259,-4.3899689,7z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x486434b66c1c0fed:0x248e9cd08cfb236f!2m2!1d-4.633038!2d53.309441!1m5!1m1!1s0x47d7c6c4261be20b:0xf69cbe617b81ca78!2m2!1d0.337881!2d53.146403!3e0

We looked into that (too long driving) and Alton Towers (our littl eone just a but too small for a lot of the rides).

We're heading to blackpool instead. Our little one loves roller coasters so we'll be spending a couple of days at Pleasure Beach but it looks like there's enough to keep us busy for 3/4 days

Advertisement