Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

eye brow threading

• 12-05-2011 11:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,950 ✭✭✭

Hi girls, I am thinking of getting my eye brows threaded but I have heard that prolonged threading can lead to saggy skin around the eye brow area - is this true?

Also, if you get them threaded once do you have to keep threading or can you go back to plucking?

Any other thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Moved from TLL.

Maple.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭The Mary Clarke

sporina wrote: »
    Hi girls, I am thinking of getting my eye brows threaded but I have heard that prolonged threading can lead to saggy skin around the eye brow area - is this true?

Also, if you get them threaded once do you have to keep threading or can you go back to plucking?

Thanks
    I have had my eyebrows threaded on and off for the last 20 years or so...Not regularly as I would usually have them waxed but depending on where I went I would have them threaded. I dont think that my skin has sagged any more than just normal ageing but like I said I have only had it done on and off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

To be honest, I would have thought that waxing would lead to skin sagging much faster than threading.

I have threaded, waxed and plucked my brows and I think for shape theres nothing quite like threading but....waxing is faster, lasts longer, less painful (for me) and cheaper so I wax more often than not. I do pluck in between visits to just tidy up a bit and thats the same with threading!

To be honest, I would have thought that waxing would lead to skin sagging much faster than threading.

I have threaded, waxed and plucked my brows and I think for shape theres nothing quite like threading but....waxing is faster, lasts longer, less painful (for me) and cheaper so I wax more often than not. I do pluck in between visits to just tidy up a bit and thats the same with threading!
    Yeah I have heard it said that waxing is worse for skin sagging...Sure we cant win:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

Thanks

I get my threaded, you can pluck yourself in between or to keep the shape they gave you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Can anyone explain what eyebrow threading is?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Monkiki

It's quite similar to epilating, removes rows of hair instead of just one like plucking. I've tried waxing and plucking but I prefer threading because the shape is alot nicer & no nasty breakouts either. I try to get mine done every 3-4 weeks. It's quite painful too but so worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭1071823928

threading is the best thing ever!!!!!! :)
    I recently started getting it done on my upper lip and its brilliant. I've gotten it done a few times as well on my eyebrows and they always look amazing after.
    the shape is always so perfect and they look so neat and tidy for ages! I pluck in between visits to keep them tidy but they seem a lot easier to maintain since I've started getting it done.
    I would definitely recommend it to anyone.
    But about the saggy eyes, I honestly haven't a clue as I've only gotten them done for about 2/3 months, but I can't imagine how it would happen and now I think about it then surely the girls who do the threading would have saggy eyebrows but they don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,950 ✭✭✭sporina

thanks for all the replies. Appointment is made. And off course thinking about it - waxing would lead to sagging as the skin is being pulled. Can't wait.

had my brows threaded today - the biz - a little pain - but got used to it, and they were done in no time at all. Will defo have it done again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

Threading is fab, the pain gets easier to take the more you get it done, never getting mine waxed again! Skin hasnt sagged from it at all:)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 E26

any recommendations on where to get threading done in Dublin? :)

skin around the brow was a little tender last night - but a little aloe vera sorted it out..

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Anaiyela

any recommendations on where to get threading done in Cork? It sounds like its worth a try

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

E26 wrote: »

Saw it being done in Dundrum in The Body Shop,think they do it in House of Fraser too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

The do it in The Body Shop in Liffey Vally too. Hadn't considered getting it done before, but this thread has me thinking...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

waxing is faster, lasts longer

How can you say that waxing lasts longer? Surely all you're doing is removing the hair from the root in both cases, and how you go about doing that is inconsequential.

Edit: The lady in Mandala Spa on Dawson st has always done an amazing job for me (threading)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 Swirls

Glowing wrote: »

Edit: The lady in Mandala Spa on Dawson st has always done an amazing job for me (threading)

Thanks for the recommendation Glowing. The person I go to in Dublin does a great job but isn't always very nice. Looking for someone who can do a great job while also being pleasant!

Anyone else got any recommendations in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Monkiki

Threads in House of fraser in Dundrum do a great job and are always pleasant :) You might want to ring in advance to make an appointment as they're always quite busy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Anaiyela wrote: »
    any recommendations on where to get threading done in Cork? It sounds like its worth a try

Citywax have started doing it recently.

• Advertisement

skin around the brow was a little tender last night - but a little aloe vera sorted it out..

I don't think that is normal. I have really sensitive skin, and I've never had any lasting redness or pain from threading. Did she ask you hold your skin tight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 fordey101

branches of the body shop do threading now its 12 euro, which is pretty decent! got it done 3 weeks ago and loved it! :) im sure grafon st and cork branches do it

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I don't think that is normal. I have really sensitive skin, and I've never had any lasting redness or pain from threading. Did she ask you hold your skin tight?

yeah I had to hold the skin above and below the brow..

it was my first time so I suppose it is normal that I would have some sensitivity..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

I never understand why people always say that threading gives a better shape, can someone explain?

Surely whether plucking or threading, in both cases you are removing the hair by the root, regardless of the technique used. And surely the 'shape' you get at the end just depends on which hairs were removed, not how they were removed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭shellykbookey

I think someone gave you the wrong info on threading, according to TV. experts (yeah yeah I know) its the waxing that causes sagging, on account of the tugging, and threading is supposed to cause less sagging ‘cos you aren’t yanking at the skin. Apparently you’re supposed to use a cotton but to hold your eyelid taught when applying make up cos its the same principle. (Really couldn’t be bothered) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Effigy

I used to get this done years ago, it took ages to make its way to Ireland! :D
    BUT I will never get it done here after contracting conjuctivitis - the lady held the thread BETWEEN her teeth, so the next day I got a disgusintg gunk over my eye; effectively she was using floss to thread my eyebrows. Nuff said.

Effigy wrote: »
    BUT I will never get it done here after contracting conjuctivitis - the lady held the thread BETWEEN her teeth, so the next day I got a disgusintg gunk over my eye; effectively she was using floss to thread my eyebrows. Nuff said.
    I hadn't realized that it took so long to get here until I heard someone refer to it as being "new", like I said I first had it done about 20 years ago. Then again I was living in New York at the time. Shame that you had such a bad experience with having it done here because it seems from other posters that there are very competent people out there. My local beautician in Donegal does a great job. Maybe if you try a different person and explain your past experience they would pay attention to their hygiene practices. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

Effigy wrote: »

That's horrible. Did that happen in Ireland or in another country???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

I've been getting it done for a few years now, I think it's definitely waxing that causes sagging not threading! I'd be careful where you go though I've ended up with different shaped brows several times and quite a nice cut once from the thread. The place in Harvey Nicks in Dundrum is really good, all of the women seem to be good as well which helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭remembering

E26 wrote: »

bodyshop grafton street, woman in there is great. :D
    i get it done at lunch time, you just walk in. sometimes she is busy so you might have to wait a short while..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭mary_hayes

I've just plucked my brows and they are in good enough shape but I was interested in getting them threaded this week because I'm away on Friday for a while.
    Could I still get them threaded or should I have let them grow out a while does anyone know!? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 gubernaculum

had it done in the metro spa (downstairs in toni and guy on clarendon street) a few times... they do half price offers on it sometimes (10e) so that's generally when i go in :) it's great! always been delighted with how they looked and the shape is much more defined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

I got mine done in The Body Shop in Dundrum yesterday and I'm so delighted with the results. The lady was really gentle and gave them an amazing shape. I'll definitely be getting them done again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Does anyone know if Neelu in Arnotts is any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭yoginindublin

I find Neelu good. She may not be the best in customer service as what I have read in most of the posts here but I found that she is good in shaping my brows. I have tried Bushra and find them good as well. But still Neelu can shape better. I saw today in Body shop along Henry that the girl doing the threading is wearing a Bushra uniform.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I went to Bushra in the end, she was fantastic. Only 12 euro and it wasn't painful at all- just felt like little scratches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gratryan

Neelu at Arnotts is a very strange, agressive woman and I had a horrible experience both on the telephone and in person with this extremely unpleasant woman! I find it quite depressing that such a lovely department store as Arnotts would not regulate the person who is running a beauty salon there as older people and people travelling from the countryside would always go to a department store for comfort and professionalism. Although we opted not to make an appointment with Neelu, due to her contorted face and bad manner I have since heard that she was quite nasty with a neighbour of mine and did not even make a great job of her threading in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭vibrantblue

I highly recommend Elysian Brows on Dawson St. for threading. It is a bit expensive but definitely worth it. I try to go every 4 weeks. But I can go as long as 2 months with some personal plucking at home.

I've been in Ireland for 2 years but I've been getting my brows threaded for almost 10 years now. I did not experience any sagging.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭MiseryMary

Why not use an eyebrow trimmer instead of waxing or threading or plucking it off? doing eyebrows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭vibrantblue

MiseryMary wrote: »
    Why not use an eyebrow trimmer instead of waxing or threading or plucking it off? doing eyebrows.

I wish I was lucky enough to get away with that. But if my brows are not shaped by threading (or by any other means, but threading works the best for me), first I start to look like an old man with huge brows. Then, if I wait long enough, I look like a gorilla; rather than a female human being.

Special thanks goes to my hairy Mediterranean genes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement