Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitness Instructors Courses In Limerick?

• 12-05-2011 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Anbody know where i can do this course in limerick thanks?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Certificate in exercise and health fitness in UL through the national council for exercise (NCEF). can be done full time (3 days a week, or on weekends afaik ncefinfo.com has the relevant info

Profi - fit gym and class instructor though on weekend in JJB. Already started afaik and wont be re enrolling til end of year. Look at profi fit irelands site for details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Do you know the difference between both courses accreditation-wise meta? The profi-fit one is way cheaper and shorter at 96 hours. Seems like it would not hold the weight that the Ul one would based on this, or is the ITEC / REPS accreditation still decent?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭SupraSonic26

cheers meta i was thinking UL be the proper place to do it as working afull time job i could prob only do weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭judosean2005

Hey,
    just be sure this course is what u want.
    I did the NCEF in Ul few years ago, it wasnt at all what i expected tbh.
    And i know many of the other male students thought the same,
    the course is very very female orientated,
    alot of time is given to step aerobics,aerobics, pilates etc.
    very little resistance work,
    but the teachers are top notch. And know their stuff.

So best of luck.
    Sean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

tbh - contacts, hard work and getting your foot in the door will stand to you much better than a course. The only thing is (imho ncef is overpiced and under delivers, but then again many of these courses do), ncef is a standard if you want a gym job. Many people enter the course without already realising the classes and that component makes up a large part of the course. If you wanted to go the freelance route teaching classes this might interest you more.

Thing is, ncef is really more of a foot in the door cert. Its your bread and butter but thats all. You will need to do more after. And it also depends what area you have an interest in - simply a gym job? PT? Something specific? Self employed class teacher? Leisure route, independent route or chain route? So many other options you can chose. The fitness industry here is far from ideal in many ways

Lots of options out there. I think profi fit is something that might be bigger years down the line. If you plan on working abroad, the necf wont hold much water in many other countries, but if you have the experience behind you it wont matter.

Its not a career where you will start getting in the clients, rolling in the money - it takes hard hard work, less of a social life to begin with, and lots of energy, time and commitment. Thats the very reason why there are only very few distinguishable trainers. Not to put you off - its the bloody reality. You have to really love it and i mean really. Or else you will hate it

EC - hows the job? PM me any queries you have as i could write a novel here about how to go about it. At least if i have specifics i can guide ya better or shorten advice!

• Advertisement
Advertisement