Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IBT in Irish School Of Motoring..Finglas

• 12-05-2011 11:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41

I am booking my IBT with ISM on Jamestown Road after the weekend.I have been quoted 600 euro!! so i am lookin for someone who wants to do the same and book it together to try get the cost down.Anybody interested??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 WayneD1982

ANYBODY??? :):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

€600 for one person seems very expensive, I have seen it cheaper than that elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

It seems to be the average price here in Dublin. Shop around though, you should get better.

ISM might do it cheaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭philgunn

Try arron rider training also in that location , he might be cheaper if you can stand orange ?

http://www.aaronridertraining.com/

I am just back from portugal with him on a 9 day off road tour there

pg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 WayneD1982

Thanks for the replies.....im still shopping around but im a bit limited in that im living in Swords and transporting the bike (VFR 400) is a bit of a hassle. Il try the info you sent me and let you know how i get on.

Thanks again

any more info would be reatly appreciated aswell;);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Peew

Hi op

New here, I passed the theory test recntly so I am in the same boat as yourself, I recently spoke with a good guy about training ,he may even discount us as a multiple if your interested, he is already discounting me using own bike.

P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

I'll be looking to do it in Finglas too in the next month or so if anyone is interested in sharing the cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

slinky2000 I will be looking at doing the IBT next month as well.
    just looking at the prices about for doing it.
    how much if we were to share the cost?
    and are they including a AON/AXA and Quinn Assessments ?
    would need to do it at the weekend

Have you guys any prices on the I.B.T. yet I spoke to a couple of guys on the north of Dublin, in negotiations, currently need to bring theory result to tax office to get provisional and sort insurance then ready to go, if anybodies interested you could pm me and we take it from there.

P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

IBT in Finglas is €600 for one person, lower for two, although I'm not sure by how much.

Roadskill in waterford (http://www.roadskill.ie/) are €600 for one person and €400 each for two people.

I'd consider doing 2 days down there if it was cheaper than Finglas to save 200e each!

I have to apply for my provisional first (and probably wait till pay day at the end of June) until I can do the IBT.

• Advertisement

slinky2000 wrote: »
    IBT in Finglas is €600 for one person, lower for two, although I'm not sure by how much.

Roadskill in waterford (http://www.roadskill.ie/) are €600 for one person and €400 each for two people.

I'd consider doing 2 days down there if it was cheaper than Finglas to save 200e each!

I have to apply for my provisional first (and probably wait till pay day at the end of June) until I can do the IBT.

yea I was thinking the same think of going down to roadskills but when you add in staying over night and bus/fuel or fuel going up and down each day. it might not be worth it. tho he gives a axa/quine test as well. if Finglas was 450 or some thing I would do it there. I may have found someone doing it even cheaper have to check it out tho. no axa/quine test tho.

I have a guy at 470 for myself using my own bike which I was adamant about as I believe in getting used to your own bike to get straight on training is finished imo, I could go back to this guy for group discount if interesed.

P;)

tho he gives a axa/quine test as well.

Does AXA do bike ins? Quinn was 50% dearer for cover for me than my cheapest quote so be aware of the assessment unless it gets you a good discount.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Peew wrote: »

Does AXA do bike ins? Quinn was 50% dearer for cover for me than my cheapest quote so be aware of the assessment unless it gets you a good discount.;)

It's AON Bikecare and Quinn assessments that are given to IBT customers and depending on the skill level depends on which grade of discount is received. There is no need to be aware of them as they are included in the price for free and would normally be from €150 upwards to do on their own. This is to try to offset the cost of IBT to new riders as it can be expensive to do and then pay full price for insurance.;)

yes I could have put that better I meant they were included in the price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Roadskill wrote: »
    It's AON Bikecare and Quinn assessments that are given to IBT customers and depending on the skill level depends on which grade of discount is received. There is no need to be aware of them as they are included in the price for free and would normally be from €150 upwards to do on their own. This is to try to offset the cost of IBT to new riders as it can be expensive to do and then pay full price for insurance.;)

IBT course is = grade 4, so basically there is nothing extra free, you are saying that you will not charge an extra 150 euro for the ibt course.

Its a bit of false advertising.

Hooray I thought it was me missing something,:eek: so I am I right to say it won't justify me getting a great deal from a couple of particular ins. cos.

P

Hooray I thought it was me missing something,:eek: so I am I right to say it won't justify me getting a great deal from a couple of particular ins. cos.

P

You will get the same deal from the insurance company with an IBT Cert OR a grade 4 assessment.

Does AXA do bike ins? Quinn was 50% dearer for cover for me than my cheapest quote so be aware of the assessment unless it gets you a good discount.
    wink.gif

ok so as above I should stick my cheapest quote and continue to look around Dublin for a good price on the IBT.

Does AXA do bike ins? Quinn was 50% dearer for cover for me than my cheapest quote so be aware of the assessment unless it gets you a good discount.
    wink.gif

ok so as above I should stick my cheapest quote and continue to look around Dublin for a good price on the IBT.

YES, shop around and you will get better prices.

• Advertisement

Thanks 4 your advice/help.:D Any suggestions on good prices/tutors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Ride Safe

Does AXA do bike ins? Quinn was 50% dearer for cover for me than my cheapest quote so be aware of the assessment unless it gets you a good discount. wink.gif

It's AON Bikecare, AON/AXA, They are in Dublin, TEL: 1890 777555

IBT course is = grade 4, so basically there is nothing extra free, you are saying that you will not charge an extra 150 euro for the ibt course.

Its a bit of false advertising.

No it isn't as IBT is compulsory and the assessments are not. It is not obligatory to give an assessment with ibt as a number of instructors are not able to issue them. As for false advertising people are being told that the IBT didn't make a difference because they had to do it and some insurance companies are giving a months insurance to allow them to do ibt on their own bike. There could a case were someone who let the licence lapse and had to do ibt was a very capable rider and would possibly receive a higher grade = more discount. I should know I have been doing the assessments since they began in 2004 and a rider with a bike already can do the assessment without doing ibt to get cheaper insurance or insure a more powerful bike.

You can't win whatever you try to do. People complain about the cost so when you try to help out with it a bit and add a few extra's you get accused of false advertising.:confused:

Roadskill wrote: »
    No it isn't as IBT is compulsory and the assessments are not. It is not obligatory to give an assessment with ibt as a number of instructors are not able to issue them. As for false advertising people are being told that the IBT didn't make a difference because they had to do it and some insurance companies are giving a months insurance to allow them to do ibt on their own bike. There could a case were someone who let the licence lapse and had to do ibt was a very capable rider and would possibly receive a higher grade = more discount. I should know I have been doing the assessments since they began in 2004 and a rider with a bike already can do the assessment without doing ibt to get cheaper insurance or insure a more powerful bike.

You can't win whatever you try to do. People complain about the cost so when you try to help out with it a bit and add a few extra's you get accused of false advertising.:confused:

As i'm the person who brought it up I would like to backup Roadskill.
    I was looking around on where to do the IBT and Roadskill was one of the places recemended by a other boards.ie user. I looked at the website and the prices were good compared to some other places around Dublin(600) and the assessments were listed as a free extra. other companys doing the IBT do not give it (150 more if you want to do it). I thought it was good extra value as I was hoping to do better than a grade 4 :) as well as get my IBT, and it would be nice to get a little bit more off the insurance.
    I used to have a license and bike years ago before they even had the 33bhp 2 year rule or the IBT I just let it run out (silly me)

My understanding is insurance companys treat a IBT as the same as a full license for insurance purpose. someone who did not need to do the IBT could do the AON/quinn grading and get a level4 and the insurance company would give them a discount the same as a full license but if you get a higher grade you get a even bigger discount.

I might not have made it clear when I first posted, it was just ment for someone who would have been looking at the roadskill website. in my eyes there was no false advertising by roadskill or the website.

Coyote

Am I right to say that only 2 out of the 4 ins. cos. who insure bikes actually take into account the assessment and as I said on previous post these 2 ins, cos. were in my case 50% dearer than my cheapest quote plus with my cheapest quote I also got AA cover.
    Also I thought this thread started out as a Dublin training co. being sought and correct me if i'm wrong Roadskill are Waterford so add in time,fuel and/or accomadation plus how do you get your own bike there which imo is the bike to train on, could it really be cheaper to travel.:confused:

Am I right to say that only 2 out of the 4 ins. cos. who insure bikes actually take into account the assessment and as I said on previous post these 2 ins, cos. were in my case 50% dearer than my cheapest quote plus with my cheapest quote I also got AA cover.
    Also I thought this thread started out as a Dublin training co. being sought and correct me if i'm wrong Roadskill are Waterford so add in time,fuel and/or accomadation plus how do you get your own bike there which imo is the bike to train on, could it really be cheaper to travel.:confused:

As with most threads different things get mentioned and before you know it everything is off track. Anyway going back to your previous posts in a word yes. You are right that Carole Nash & Adelaide don't take into account the assessments as they don't have a scheme for them so do not recognize them. Aon & Quinn had these set up by their own people to determine the risk of insuring the rider hence the higher the grade the more discount and more types of bikes they can insure. The others are fussy on who they insure for example only over 25 y/o or full licences only. This means that Aon & Quinn get to insure the rest of the bunch at their rates.
    Unfortunately we don't have the luxury of shopping around hundreds of insurers due to the low numbers of bikers in Ireland. About 60,000 compared to over 1,500,000 in the UK.
    If you can get a good quote off someone else then fair play but others actually need the assessments to even get a quote in the first place.

Advertisement