Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New apartment rental: Asking for new sofa?

Options
  • 12-05-2011 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭

So I am viewing a new apartment to rent this evening and I have never done this before but I am intrested to guage peoples opions on the matter? The apartemnt itself looks nice, good price and handy location. While the bulk of the aprtment is in good nick and tastefully decorated the soft funiture in the living room is .... well... disgusting. Floral print 3 seater set circa 1980's. (pic below)

Would it be cheecky to let the estate agent know (if I like it in the flesh as it were) that I would be delighted to rent for a year here on consideration that the soft furniture be changed?

I wouldnt be looking for anything extravegent just something modern ie under 5 years old.

H948t3AehiGK6Wwh9gi3oJBOUMnJfjMZ3u4ef8u4dAFtPWRhZnQmaD00NTA=.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

You can try it, but they might come back to you and say you can buy your own and take it with you when you leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

That would not be cheeky at all. The landlord is the cheeky one expecting anyone to be happy with a smelly old sofa.

Offer less money and demand a new sofa!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

daveyeh wrote: »
    That would not be cheeky at all. The landlord is the cheeky one expecting anyone to be happy with a smelly old sofa.

Offer less money and demand a new sofa!
    If you try this and it works I'll be amazed.

Asking for a new sofa would not be overly cheeky but demanding anything is about the worst negotiation strategy in any walk of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭lion_bar

If you are worried about the sofa, don't forget to check the mattresses.

Never be afraid to ask an agent/landlord for something like that, they can only say no. And you won't get it unless you ask.

Get the agent to be on your side, they might be able to tell the landlord that it will rent much more quickly with some new furniture. An agent will have no problem listening to suggestions about how to spend a landlords money.

This means you should have some suggestions as to the cost of what you want and where it can be got. Even if it's something along the lines of "I saw a nice two seater and tub chair in Argos for €250".

Get it in writing that it's to be replaced before handing over any cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

I moved into a place last year, gorgeous but had old patio furniture as living room furniture. We asked could it be replaced with something more fitting for the room and they replied saying that they had recently got it upholstered and were quite offended at us even putting it to them!
    We ended up getting our own sofa at our own expense (we were very eager to move at the time) and sold it when we left the place. I wouldnt do this again because it ended up costing us a good few quid for the sake of furniture for a year.
    Chance your arm and ask, they could be decent folk and say yes. If they do say yes, get it in writing because otherwise you might get a brand new sofa...two weeks before your year long lease is up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

hightower1 wrote: »
    the soft funiture in the living room is .... well... disgusting. Floral print 3 seater set circa 1980's. (pic below)

Is it disgusting just because of the pattern (which is hideous), or is it disgustingly dirty/worn/smelly?

If it's just the pattern consider getting washable covers made for it instead if the landlord won't budge - could work out cheaper than replacing the entire suite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You could buy your own and take it with you?
    And tell the landlord to remove the old one.

I have a very expensive mattress (and I love it :)) and I bring it around my rented places.
    Never an issue, just tell the agent or landlord to remove the old mattress.

Advertisement