Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quinn Direct! Paid for insurance for 6 months and wasn't even insured!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

He's not though.If Quinn Direct have told him that the policy for all intents and purposes never existed then why wouldnt he be entitled to get his money back?

Obviously standard cancellation/administration fee's of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Otis the way I see it, Quinn insured OP for 6 months based on the info he supplied, they did not know it was false until the day he rang to pause it.

Could I put it to you that I could fill out an online form with false info then not having made a claim, ring the insurer to inform them just before the policy ends that I did not give correct info and want my money back?.

To be fair otis, ticking that you own the very thing you are insuring when in fact you don't is a pretty big mistake and I do not blame the insurer at all in this case. OP should suck it up and be more careful next time. Also he should check his home insurance to see if he made any mistakes with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

davo10 wrote: »
    Could I put it to you that I could fill out an online form with false info then not having made a claim, ring the insurer to inform them just before the policy ends that I did not give correct info and want my money back?..
    That's perfectly plausable but it is not for you to decide if the policy gets cancelled, it is at the sole discretion of the insurer. They may decide not to cancel. However, if they do decide to cancel, it is part of the condition that they refund the premium. If the cancellation is effective from inception, then it is a full refund (minus any charges)

As I advised in a previous post, having an insurer force a cancellation on you is a matter that has to be declared to all potential insurers in the future and that brings no end of trouble.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 167 ✭✭stephenpalmer

I see, some great points guys but to be honest I think it will be a struggle to get the money back doubt it would be possible as it was my mistake and I am just going to make sure I don't do it again :)

I was still legally insured by Quinn. I have paused my insurance for now. I may however just enquirer to them the possibilities of getting my money back or coming to some sort of agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

Hello all,

I got insured about 6 months ago with Quinn Direct. Applied online, my car was out of service so I just got insured on my sisters car as she was living in Spain for the past 6 months.

She came back and saught out her own insurance and obviously took her car back.

Anyways I contacted Quinn straight away to "pause" my insurance for a month or two until I could get my own set of wheels again. They then informed me that I can't get insurance under someone else's car unless they are your parents or spouse. When I was doing my online form I accidently ticked that my sister was actually my spouse.

The lady then on the phone said I have basically been paying for nothing for the past 6months as you can't get insured unless you own the car. She said if there had of been a crash they wouldn't of payed out anything.

Luckily I had no accidents in this period.

My query is that if I technically wasn't insured for the 6 months then why should I have payed it???? I wasn't advised of this and if I had of made a mistake on the online form and not been insured as a result of this is that not their fault?

Thanks

There's a lot going on here...

They then informed me that I can't get insurance under someone else's car unless they are your parents or spouse.

You must have a legal (financial) interest in something in order to insure it. I'm surprised they've included your parents in this category as you have current legal interest in their stuff.

When I was doing my online form I accidently ticked that my sister was actually my spouse.

This is the crux of the matter. If it was a genuine accident, they would probably have had to pay out if you pushed the ombudsman on them. However, if their web showed you trying to process the change and you failed and had to go back and show her as your spouse then that is fraudulant representation and only then can they refuse to pay a claim. This would ultimately come down to the decision of a judge.

However, even if a policy is created fraudently and you rear end someone, Quinn would still have to pay the damages to the 3rd party under the Road Traffic Act 1961 so in that case...

You were not paying for nothing as the main part of your risk (the 3rd party liability) was still operative.

Chalk this down as a valuable learning experience

By the way, I don't know how to answer this part except to say maybe they didn't have their crystal ball switched on that day...

'If I had of made a mistake on the online form and not been insured as a result of this is that not their fault? '

• Advertisement
Advertisement