Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is this legal?

Options
  • 12-05-2011 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

PRESS RELEASE

Garda Information relating to the Dublin area for the Visit of HM Queen Elizabeth II from 17 to 20 May 2011

Daily information and traffic updates will be provided from Monday, 16 May 2011. The following general information is available ahead of the visit.

General advice:
     All business and commercial activity will continue as normal in Dublin city.
     There will be diversions and rolling road closures which will be flagged in advance.
     Gardaí will maintain a high visible presence both outside the city environs and in the city centre to facilitate traffic movement.
     There will be parking restrictions in the city centre from 06:00 a.m. on Saturday 14 May 2011 (see details below).
     People should use public transport where possible. Where there are amendments to routes and/or timetables that information will be communicated to the travelling public and commuters are advised to check for timetable and route changes closer to their journey time. There may be brief disruptions to public transport.
     Existing Park and Ride facilities continue to be available and are advertised.
     People are advised to plan their journeys in advance including routes and parking options at their final destination. They should also confirm appointments prior to travelling.
     The public is advised to leave extra time for their journeys and to expect some congestion and delays.
    For security reasons, there will be periodic searches of pedestrians and vehicles by members of An Garda Síochána at key locations.
     Gardaí are liaising with business and local residents in the key locations and will continue to communicate directly with them.

The following roads are among the routes that will be subject to temporary closures at various times between 17 May and 20 May 2011 (full details to be notified to the public when finalised and closer to the time):
     N7, N4 and M50
     Phoenix Park
     North and South Quays, and adjacent bridges and streets.

A number of diversions will be put in place on a rolling basis throughout the city. Further details will be available in coming days and diversion points will be notified using Variable Message Signs and a Garda presence.

There will be no parking in the following areas from 06:00 on Saturday 14 May to Friday 20 May 2011. Barriers will be placed along all or some of these routes over the same time period.

Chesterfield Avenue
    North Quays
    South Quays
    Parkgate Street
    O’ Connell Street
    Parnell Square (All Sides)
    D’Olier Street
    Westmoreland Street
    College Street
    Grafton Street
    Nassau Street
    South Leinster Street
    Lincoln Place
    Westland Row
    Pearse Street
    Bridge Street
    High Street
    Cornmarket
    Thomas Street
    James’s Street
    Crane Street
    Bellevue Lord Edward Street
    Dame Street
    Conyngham Rd
    Rainsford Street
    Christchurch Place
    South Circular Road (Con Colbert rd – Conyngham Rd)
    Beresford Place
    Gardiner Street
    Mountjoy Square
    Fitzgibbon Street
    Russell Street
    Jones Rd
    Memorial Rd
    Castle Street
    Werburgh Street
    Ship Street
    Stephen St
    Guild Street
    Sherriff Street Upper

Garda Information relating to Co. Kildare for the Visit of HM Queen Elizabeth II on 19 May 2011

At this point there are no planned motorway closures on the M7/M9 on Thursday 19 May 2011. However, traffic travelling both northbound and southbound will be slowed down in key areas and at certain times by marked Garda vehicles.

There will be periodic temporary closure of Exits (from Exit 5 to Exist 12 M7 and Exit 2 M9) between 9:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.

Traffic diversions will be in place in the greater Kildare Town area from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. The R413 (The Curragh to Kilcullen Road) will be closed to through traffic from 9.30am to 3.30pm and will re-open in rolling locations. There will be no vehicular access to this route during these times.

There will be traffic diversions around the Curragh side of Kildare/Newbridge/The Curragh Camp/Athgarvan/Kilcullen (access to/from the R413 from 9.30am to 3.30pm)

We were just sent this press release by our useless Union branch secretary (Tits on a bull kind of guy) :mad:Can anyone tell me how this is legal? What act gives the Guards the right to stop me and search me.
    I'm only aware of 3 acts that allow a Guard to even stop you and ask you your name never mind search you
    1. The misuse of drugs act
    2. Offences against the state acr
    3. Road traffic act
    The first 2 need the guard to have, as far as I'm aware, a reasonable suspicion that a crime is being commited

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

ugh. so many of these threads.

Yes, it's legal. The site has been made a secure zone. bla bla bla bla.

Try a search next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Paulyh

I have 3 bums

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

ugh. so many of these threads.

Yes, it's legal. The site has been made a secure zone. bla bla bla bla.

Try a search next time.

What the hell is a secure zone? As I asked in my original post what ACT gives the Guards the right to ignore my civil rights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

There's a thread in Legal Discussion on it

MajorMax wrote: »
    What the hell is a secure zone? As I asked in my original post what ACT gives the Guards the right to ignore my civil rights
    There is obviously either legislation or common law powers that enable AGS to do this. I'm not just going to waste my day trawling through thousands and thousands of documents to find something when it's genuinely not a big deal.

Remember all this kind of stuff gets run by the AG and possibly by the President as well. They wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't above board without making it above board.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Remember all this kind of stuff gets run by the AG and possibly by the President as well. .

Oh yes the president..a bloody nordie arse-kisser thats all she is.

The idea that teh capital should be locked down for ANY foreign leader is disgracefull..to say nothing of business that will lose money when they have to close for the day.

Let teh poxy queen come back when the country is in better shape,unless she wants to give us a loan of a few billion quid.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I'm not just going to waste my day trawling through thousands and thousands of documents to find something when it's genuinely not a big deal.
    It is a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

Degsy wrote: »

The idea that teh capital should be locked down for ANY foreign leader is disgracefull..to say nothing of business that will lose money when they have to close for the day.

Let teh poxy queen come back when the country is in better shape,unless she wants to give us a loan of a few billion quid.:mad:

UK have given us a loan. A huge one. And at a better interest rate than our EU partners. TBH, only for the UK, this country would be b***ixed.

God save the Queen!!

:rolleyes:

I'm not even going to bother responding to your comments about the President.

However, the secure zones are not off limits, they are just areas where the Gardaí can effect random searches.
    You have such little insight into economics that you don't realise that the Queen and Obama's visit is going to have a massive impact on tourism?

No businesses are being forced to close at all, this is misinformation.

I'm no fan of the Queen, but this "civil liberties" QQ bullshít is getting pretty old.

CiaranC wrote: »
    It is a big deal.
    Oh, well if you say so then it must be. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Its just for a few days not every day, I dont see the problem.

What if they dont do it and then some madman gets through and the worst scenario happens - that would put this country in alot more shít than it is now.

I'm no fan of the Queen, but this "civil liberties" QQ bullshít is getting pretty old.
    Civil liberties bull****? Jesus ****ing christ. People should be allowed walk around their own city without being challenged and/or searched by the police for no reason, just becuase some ****ing foreign monarch is in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I find it hard to believe that people think this isn't legal.

A security lock-down of this size is essential for the Queen of England visiting Ireland. There's already been loads of bomb threats and remember those douchebags in the city who staged a mock beheading of the Queen just a few weeks ago. F*cktards like that are the exact sort of morons who could do something immensely stupid and cause all sorts of hell to break loose.

If that happened the very people who are now giving out about possibly getting briefly stopped and/or searched would be giving out that the Gardai didn't do their job properly.

And let's face it you'll probably only get stopped if you're hefting a big rucksack through the streets and/or are acting suspiciously.

Yeah yeah yeah - it'll be annoying taking longer to travel through the city. But I think we'll all survive somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,311 ✭✭✭markpb

What businesses will close for the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Let's face it - most of this complaining is because the measures are being put in place for the Queen of England. There was feck all complaing when it was done (probably on a larger scale too) for the Pope's or the US Presidents' visits.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's most likely a consenual search.

That is, if you want to travel through or into a particular area, you consent to being searched. If you do not consent to being searched, you can turn around and go away.

Perfectly legal, big venues do it all the time.

seamus wrote: »
    It's most likely a consenual search.

That is, if you want to travel through or into a particular area, you consent to being searched. If you do not consent to being searched, you can turn around and go away.
    Em, I live in one of these "security zones", as do a couple of other tens of thousands of people.

CiaranC wrote: »
    Em, I live in one of these "security zones", as do a couple of other tens of thousands of people.

Lucky for you the Gardai will be searching people with large bomb-shaped packages in that area. Imagine how sh*t it'd be if your house was destroyed by an explosion!

Perfectly legal, big venues do it all the time.

You have to pay to get into "big venues"..this is our city,not the O2 and as such you should be able to walk where you bloody well please.

You have to pay to get into "big venues"..this is our city,not the O2 and as such you should be able to walk where you bloody well please.
    They're not stopping you from walking anywhere (except for An Gairdín Cuimhneacháin) during the visit AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

You have to pay to get into "big venues"
    Not always.
    you should be able to walk where you bloody well please.
    I heard a gentleman explaining that to a Garda once. He was orating from the middle of Camden Street at 2am on a Sunday.

Mention that to the Gardai the next time you want to walk down Jones's Road on All-Ireland Final Day.

There's nothing new happening here, just whingers stuck in the past giving out about the queen at every opportunity.

There's nothing new happening here, just whingers stuck in the past giving out about the queen at every opportunity.
    I dont give a **** if its the queen of sheba or the ambassador to the moon, there is no call for the Gardai to be stopping/searching, questioning and turning those people who refuse to be searched away from their place of work or from where they live. This city doesnt delong to the Garda or some ****ing lazy old bint on holiday.

No, it belongs to us. And we employ the government to manage it on our behalf, who in turn employ the Gardai.

There is every call for Gardai to be vigilant and carry out searches of people entering areas where they believe there is a heightened risk.

Mention that to the Gardai the next time you want to walk down Jones's Road on All-Ireland Final Day.

Oh i have done..the same when i'm trying to drive in the area..if a bunch of flag-waving cabbages want to watch people kick a ball around thats fair enough but they shouldnt be impacting on people trying to go about thier business.

No, it belongs to us. And we employ the government to manage it on our behalf, who in turn employ the Gardai.

There is every call for Gardai to be vigilant and carry out searches of people entering areas where they believe there is a heightened risk.

If the guards want to be so consciencious maybe they shoud employ a bit of stop and search around the earl st,boardwalk,Clery's area to stop scum dealing in broad daylight.

Of course its an easier days work for them to hassle ordinary people minding thier own business,so we can get some brownie points with the english queen...nice bit of prioritising there.

So in your mind Degsy there's no risk of an attack on the Queen at all and the Gardai should just let anyone wander anywhere irrespective of the threats that have already been made in the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

They're not stopping you from walking anywhere (except for An Gairdín Cuimhneacháin) during the visit AFAIK.

If they stop you and search you, then they are stopping you from walking anywhere. At what point should I start being concerned? At what point is it OK to be concerned with the denial of my civil liberties?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

If the guards want to be so consciencious maybe they shoud employ a bit of stop and search around the earl st,boardwalk,Clery's area to stop scum dealing in broad daylight.

Have you ever reported any of these instances to the Gardai?

• Advertisement

At what point is it OK to be concerned with the denial of my civil liberties?
    When there's no good reason for it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement