Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is this legal?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

MajorMax wrote: »
    If they stop you and search you, then they are stopping you from walking anywhere. At what point should I start being concerned? At what point is it OK to be concerned with the denial of my civil liberties?
    You show me where these civil liabilities are and I'll show you where there are public policy exceptions to them all.

I'm really fed up with people who spout a bunch of nonsense they know little to nothing about. Civil liabilities? Lost all meaning because people use it as a "buzzword" now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

seamus wrote: »
    When there's no good reason for it.
    You may be happy to give up your fundamental liberties to protect some foreign statesperson, but many of us are not.

Can anyone point to a basis for these lockdowns in legislature? Or is it a case of applying the public order act, which doesnt actually allow city-wide checkpoints and roadblocks, and hoping the sheep dont think too hard or complain about it?

CiaranC wrote: »
    You may be happy to give up your fundamental liberties to protect some foreign statesperson, but many of us are not.

Can anyone point to a basis for these lockdowns in legislature? Or is it a case of applying the public order act, which doesnt actually allow city-wide checkpoints and roadblocks, and hoping the sheep dont think too hard or complain about it?
    Firstly, you're missing the point. You are not giving up any "fundamental liberties".

Secondly, even if it's not legislated (which I'm sure it is) it could easily be common law powers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Do you complain about the random checkpoints set up at bank holiday weekends to clampdown on drink-driving CiaranC?

Gardai won't let you pass one of those without agreeing to a breathalyser test either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

PCros wrote: »
    Its just for a few days not every day, I dont see the problem.

I bloody have exams on those days.

• Advertisement

They're not stopping people from going in. There is no guarantee you'll be randomly searched. If you are searched it'll take a whole whopping 2 minutes of your time.

Where are your exams on?

Despite what people might have you believe every road in the city isn't going to be shut down permanently for the whole time Auld Lizzie is here.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Do you complain about the random checkpoints set up at bank holiday weekends to clampdown on drink-driving CiaranC?

Gardai won't let you pass one of those without agreeing to a breathalyser test either.

Driving is not a right, it is a priviledge. Walking to and from my place of work and where I live without being searched by the gardai is a natural right.

Driving is not a right, it is a priviledge. Walking to and from my place of work and where I live without being searched by the gardai is a natural right.
    Show me where this natural right is in law?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Walking to and from my place of work and where I live without being searched by the gardai is a natural right.

When there's a security risk those rights have to be curtailed though. That's the way it is unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Show me where this natural right is in law?

:rolleyes:

When there's a security risk those rights have to be curtailed though. That's the way it is unfortunately.
    +1

Not to mention it's for everyone's bloody good. I don't know about you CiaranC, but I don't exactly want to be blown up by some idiot who wants to kill some stupid old woman.

Look, I'm no fan of the monarchy or any part of this island being a part of the UK, but the Queen is a figurehead and this visit will be good for the country.

:rolleyes:
    You can't then I guess. Typical.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Section 2.1.12 - An Garda Siochana may stop and search any pedestrians within the Security Zone and are at liberty to use the anal probe (120V, yes the big one) if needs be

That has to be a violation of human rights.

I'm definitely carrying Vaseline with me round the city with me on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

markpb wrote: »
    What businesses will close for the day?

Well my mam works in Revenue on O'Connell St and they're closed to the public when she's in the Garden of Rememberance.

Same as myself, although I'll be going from the southside to Tallaght, but still there will probably be delays with the buses.

I don't exactly want to be blown up by some idiot who wants to kill some stupid old woman.
    What a load of horse ****, I am not going to be "blown up" and am not about to start cheerleading this stasi-like nonsense and wetting myself because Im scared of some phantom bogeyman.
    You can't then I guess. Typical.
    Go and google "Natural right" before you get up on your high horse there

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

Have you ever been stopped and searched on your way to work?, you will prob go through all of next week without anything happening to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

MajorMax wrote: »
    What the hell is a secure zone? As I asked in my original post what ACT gives the Guards the right to ignore my civil rights

yeah, those guards must think they are some kind of police force. Are we living in some kind of fascist state where the police tell us what to do? If I throw a rock at the queen they had better not abuse my civil rights by arresting me.

What a load of horse ****, I am not going to be "blown up" and am not about to start cheerleading this stasi-like nonsense and wetting myself because Im scared of some phantom bogeyman.

Sure nobody has ever been hurt by a bomb in Ireland. It's all made up lads. Yay!

"Stasi-like nonsense" - Brilliant!

You'd want to go and look up what the Stasi actually did. The temporary right to stop/search people because of heightened security risks is small fry to what they got up to. And yes before you ask I firmly believe that the Gardai aren't going to keep doing it after the Queen and Obama has left.

You actually believe that there's absolutely zero security risk?

Go and google "Natural right" before you get up on your high horse there
    Ok, I googled it. I see a wikipedia article about philosophical "natural rights"; Nothing to do with Irish law.

• Advertisement

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    You actually believe that there's absolutely zero security risk?
    Do you think if you keep saying this someone will agree that its what they think?

If the security risks are so great to the head of the UK state that they need to close 50+ streets, set up road blocks, search thousands of houses, fill the streets with Garda with extended stop and search powers, close the entire park, curtail public transport, have trained Garda lifti up and spraypaint sewers, close sections of Government and disrupt commerce in the city to the tune of millions over the course of A WEEK, then she shouldnt be coming here. Whats the point in it, other than to irritate, annoy and enrage the citizens of this city and provoke riots from an already irritable population.

Mr Jinx wrote: »
    Have you ever been stopped and searched on your way to work?, you will prob go through all of next week without anything happening to you.

the good looking ban gardai can frisk me all they want.:D

I think the problem here is that that people are not used to security setups. I know a lot of people who get freaked out if they see an armed cop and go into tears if the cop is not nice to them.

We are protected in cotton wool from the problems of the big bad world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

I full expect the same amount of bull**** threads in a couple of weeks when Obama comes to town and the same crap happens again.

He is even giving a speech on O'Connell Street. How amazingly selfish of him. Think of all the business that will have to be closed while he does that! A disgrace. :rolleyes:

As for the gardai searching you and your civil liberties, I am sure you you stop the gardai to complain about civil liberties when you seem the stopping and searching some scummer?

Do you think if you keep saying this someone will agree that its what they think?

If the security risks are so great to the head of the UK state that they need to close 50+ streets, set up road blocks, search thousands of houses, fill the streets with Garda with extended stop and search powers, close the entire park, curtail public transport, have trained Garda lifti up and spraypaint sewers, close sections of Government and disrupt commerce in the city to the tune of millions over the course of A WEEK, then she shouldnt be coming here. Whats the point in it, other than to irritate, annoy and enrage the citizens of this city and provoke riots from an already irritable population.

there was no security risk for Mountbatten.

reprazant wrote: »
    As for the gardai searching you and your civil liberties, I am sure you you stop the gardai to complain about civil liberties when you seem the stopping and searching some scummer?
    Ill let you know if I ever see it happen ;)

reprazant wrote: »
    I full expect the same amount of bull**** threads in a couple of weeks when Obama comes to town and the same crap happens again.

He is even giving a speech on O'Connell Street. How amazingly selfish of him. Think of all the business that will have to be closed while he does that! A disgrace. :rolleyes:

I would prefer if Obama would hold his speech on Marlborough street and do a walk up and down the boardwalk. It would give us a break from the druggies.

Just because I don't think it's been made clear enough already, AFAIK no streets are being closed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Fuinseog wrote: »
    We are protected in cotton wool from the problems of the big bad world.

No..Old Horseface is protected from the problems of the big bad world.
    Where i work has spent over a million euro installing a new walkway so the old hag wont be discomoded walking on the cobblestones...the same place where they want to cut overtime in certain deprtmants because it's costing "up to 20k a year".

Ther are also ceoncerns that people in the "red security zone" wont be admitted to thier place of work and will have to take a day's annual leave if they're turned away.

And as for all the coppers going around welding the drains shut..who's paying for all this extra work?? Are we as a nation suddenly solvent enough now to be throwing bororwed money at visiting Monarchs who nobody gives a flying shiite about?

Stop and Search? Bloody cheek of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Definitely her fault that all this needs to be done.

It is in no way fault of the idiots who have stated that they want her dead that are forcing the authorities to do this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭n900guy

Degsy wrote: »
    Oh yes the president..a bloody nordie arse-kisser thats all she is.

The idea that teh capital should be locked down for ANY foreign leader is disgracefull..to say nothing of business that will lose money when they have to close for the day.

Let teh poxy queen come back when the country is in better shape,unless she wants to give us a loan of a few billion quid.:mad:

Loan? She is visiting is to sign the deeds to the country that she owns (again). Most likely purchased with Coutt's credit card a few weeks ago. Obama is over to co-sign, and then the territory is firmly under the thumb.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement