Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is this legal?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

n900guy wrote: »
    Loan? She is visiting is to sign the deeds to the country that she owns (again). Most likely purchased with Coutt's credit card a few weeks ago. Obama is over to co-sign, and then the territory is firmly under the thumb.
    Oh jesus.

Besides, wouldn't Obama need permission from the Chinese first? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

CiaranC wrote: »
    Do you think if you keep saying this someone will agree that its what they think?

Lots of people agree with it. I was addressing the question directly at you and you're not answering it directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

Do you think if you keep saying this someone will agree that its what they think?

If the security risks are so great to the head of the UK state that they need to close 50+ streets, set up road blocks, search thousands of houses, fill the streets with Garda with extended stop and search powers, close the entire park, curtail public transport, have trained Garda lifti up and spraypaint sewers, close sections of Government and disrupt commerce in the city to the tune of millions over the course of A WEEK, then she shouldnt be coming here. Whats the point in it, other than to irritate, annoy and enrage the citizens of this city and provoke riots from an already irritable population.

I think it would be a greater loss to civil liberties if this visit was stopped from going ahead because of certain people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,311 ✭✭✭markpb

Degsy wrote: »
    Where i work has spent over a million euro installing a new walkway so the old hag wont be discomoded walking on the cobblestones...the same place where they want to cut overtime in certain deprtmants because it's costing "up to 20k a year".

You don't really believe that, do you? The cobbles are being replaced by a footpath to make it easier for wheelchair users to cross the front square. It has nothing to do with the Queens visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Oh yes the president..a bloody nordie arse-kisser thats all she is.

The idea that teh capital should be locked down for ANY foreign leader is disgracefull..to say nothing of business that will lose money when they have to close for the day.

Let teh poxy queen come back when the country is in better shape,unless she wants to give us a loan of a few billion quid.:mad:

1) Ok let's not "lock down" the capital and allow the dissidents have a free shot at the queen or potential terrorists use our lack of security to target Obama, that makes plenty of sense.

2) The money that will be gained due to the foreign publicity of Obama visiting and the Queen visiting will far exceed anything that will be lost while they visit, not to mention the boost to tourism. Then again, if some retard dissident decides to take a pop at the Queen we'll lose all foreign investment from Britain and further abroad. These precautions are being taken for an obvious reason.

3) You're taking the piss right? Britain gave us a substantial loan already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

Bomb-making equipment' found <H1>
    ÉANNA Ó CAOLLAÍ and GERRY MORIARTY, Northern Editor April 24, 2011, 17:54
    Police investigating dissident republican activities in the border area have found a second haul of suspected bomb-making equipment.
    The PSNI said the find was made last night during ongoing searches in the South Armagh area.
    It was the second haul of suspected bomb-making equipment found yesterday by police in the area.
    Officers involved in the joint Garda-PSNI investigation carried out a number of searches in the south of the county following an earlier seizure of arms and ammunition near Keady.

The latest find comes after the PSNI issued an alert warning that dissident republicans are intent on murdering more of its police officers “in the coming days and weeks”. Security has been tightened across Northern Ireland as a result.

The bomb material finds brought no further arrests and police have not provided details of the locations of those
    discoveries.

Three people are still in custody after a substantial haul of guns and ammunition was recovered on Friday after a vehicle was stopped and searched in Co Armagh.

The three men arrested were at the scene, near Keady, and were taken for questioning to the PSNI's serious crimes suite in Antrim.

The police service took the unusual step on Friday of issuing a statement urging the public to be vigilant for such attacks over Easter.

The warning to policemen was issued last night after a new dissident grouping, reported to be comprised of former Provisional IRA members, said it murdered Constable Kerr in Omagh three weeks ago.

The new group styling itself “the IRA” said it was responsible for the “recent execution of the RUC (sic) member in Omagh”.

In a statement to Friday’s Belfast Telegraph the group also said it was planning more killings and bombings. It said it was totally separate from other dissident groups such as the Real IRA/Óglaigh na hÉireann and the Continuity IRA.

Police urged anyone who saw suspicious activity to report it to the PSNI. “If you see anything which does not look right or causes you concern, please contact police.”

A 33-year-old man who was arrested by PSNI detectives investigating the dissident republican murder of PSNI Constable Ronan Kerr appeared at Dungannon Magistrates Court in Co Tyrone yesterday.

Gavin Coyle was charged with possession of firearms and explosives with intent to endanger life and possession of articles likely to be of use in terrorism.

Irish times

</H1>

So no danger at all ? People need to calm down, this is a good thing for ireland and english relations and a symbol that the past is very much in the past .

Yes some of us will be put out for a week with secruity measures aimed at preventing loss of life. Take it easy, it will all be over soon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

markpb wrote: »
    You don't really believe that, do you? The cobbles are being replaced by a footpath to make it easier for wheelchair users to cross the front square. It has nothing to do with the Queens visit.

Thats the official line..yet the path terminates before the steps at the front of the berkeley...a wheelchair user who could climb steps perhaps could use it.

[QUOTE=RMD;72178400

2) The money that will be gained due to the foreign publicity of Obama visiting and the Queen visiting will far exceed anything that will be lost while they visit, not to mention the boost to tourism. [/QUOTE]

Bollocks to obama and the queen..if the govt want to improve tourism they should clear the junkies off the capital's main thoroughfare,get pubs to lower thier prices and stop irish restuarants selling crap food at inflated prices.

This is nothing but a forelock-tugging excercise and nothing more.

Bollocks to obama and the queen..if the govt want to improve tourism they should clear the junkies off the capital's main thoroughfare,get pubs to lower thier prices and stop irish restuarants selling crap food at inflated prices.

This is nothing but a forelock-tugging excercise and nothing more.

How will that improve tourism? Will there be a sudden report issued among the Western world that Dublin is relatively junkie free, cheap and produces good quality products? No there wont. But will there be large scale reporting of a successful visit of the Queen and Obama? Yes there certainly will. Use your head, the exposure will certainly help the tourist industry and with foreign investment to.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

markpb wrote: »

You don't really believe that do you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

If you're so concerned about it, you should make a stand and refuse to get searched. See where that gets you. Some people really need to get their priorities straight.

poisonated wrote: »
    If you're so concerned about it, you should make a stand and refuse to get searched. See where that gets you. Some people really need to get their priorities straight.

You're damn right i'll be refusing to be searched..no copper has the right to lay his hand on anybody who isnt breaking the law,maybe they should stick thier hands in a few junkies pockets if they're suddenly so fond of searching people.

The cops let bloody murder go on in Dublin, day in day out and now when that old hag from england is here,suddenly we're all suspects??

You're damn right i'll be refusing to be searched..no copper has the right to lay his hand on anybody who isnt breaking the law,maybe they should stick thier hands in a few junkies pockets if they're suddenly so fond of searching people.

The cops let bloody murder go on in Dublin, day in day out and now when that old hag from england is here,suddenly we're all suspects??

They're not going to search each and every person who's going through the city center, that would be a logistical nightmare. If you're carrying a rucksack, wearing an extremely puffy jacket or something similar where a weapon could be concealed while shouting "up the rah" then perhaps you may be subject to a search. For the vast majority of people, life will be normal as usual.

Forget the "rights" talk, they wouldn't do this if they couldn't do the searches legally otherwise they'd be open to a mountain of claims, complaints and various other procedures. Whether you like it or not, they have the "right" to search you, otherwise they wouldn't be doing it.

RMD wrote: »
    They're not going to search each and every person who's going through the city center, that would be a logistical nightmare. If you're carrying a rucksack, wearing an extremely puffy jacket or something similar where a weapon could be concealed while shouting "up the rah" then perhaps you may be subject to a search. For the vast majority of people, life will be normal as usual.

Would-be assasins shouting "up the ra" while toting poorly-concealed weapons and rucksacks full of explosives are unlikely to be as thick on the ground as you might think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Oh yes the president..a bloody nordie arse-kisser thats all she is.

The idea that teh capital should be locked down for ANY foreign leader is disgracefull..to say nothing of business that will lose money when they have to close for the day.

Let teh poxy queen come back when the country is in better shape,unless she wants to give us a loan of a few billion quid.:mad:

Well where were you when that chimpanzee, Bush, came and they had to have tanks roaming around Shannon to feed the little ******'s ego?

Your civil rights are impinged upon when Bono or Lady fücking Gaga come through Dublin Airport or go on the piss in Ballsbridge and you have to take the "servant's entrance" When the damn pope visited in, I dunno, 1979 or whenever and I was just a child we were corralled like cattle away from certain areas. I couldn't give a flying fück about the pope OR the queen of England. The truth however is that I don't own the streets of Dublin anymore than she does. She just has enough money to rent them away from me for a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

How will that improve tourism? Will there be a sudden report issued among the Western world that Dublin is relatively junkie free, cheap and produces good quality products? No there wont. But will there be large scale reporting of a successful visit of the Queen and Obama? Yes there certainly will. Use your head, the exposure will certainly help the tourist industry and with foreign investment to.

People visit ireland because they WANT to. The fact that a foreign dignitory or head of state was here is meaningless to the thousands who come to trace their bloody roots, drink whiskey, attend a rugby match, learn English or generally want to work (or go on welfare).

Queen fücking Victoria visited, as did JFK, Reagan, Clinton, Castro, Pele, Beckham, McCartney, Ronaldo, Jagger, and a slew of others.

Did their successful jaunts spur tourism amongst Spanish students, Americans or English weekend warriors? Do you think that the Duke of Edinburgh having a nice evening in Denmark is going to make us all say "Shït! Copenhagen! What a smashing place!!" ??

Promoting Ireland!!! My HOLE!

You're damn right i'll be refusing to be searched..

Let us know how you get on with that one Degsy. I could do with a good laugh.

Make sure to record it too if you can. It'll be brilliant.

Seriously Degsy - do it. Honestly. Do it. It'll be absolutely fantastic.

Seriously.

Don't let me down. Don't let this just be rubbish that you talk on the internet and actually don't back up in the real world.

Do it.

Do it and record what happens.

I cannot f*cking wait to see the outcome of this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Forget the "rights" talk, they wouldn't do this if they couldn't do the searches legally otherwise they'd be open to a mountain of claims, complaints and various other procedures. Whether you like it or not, they have the "right" to search you, otherwise they wouldn't be doing it.

I wonder will they close down the airsoft gunshops in D1 for the day. Whats the story there.can I legally walk around with a toy AK anytime?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I cannot f*cking wait to see the outcome of this one.
    Dont wet your pants there.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Thats the official line..yet the path terminates before the steps at the front of the berkeley...a wheelchair user who could climb steps perhaps could use it.
    Finally. Confirmation that Degsy is a troll. No doubt you know full well that the decision to put paving through the cobbles was made about two years before there was even a sniff of a royal visit.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Finally. Confirmation that Degsy is a troll.

Yaaaawwwn!
    . No doubt you know full well that the decision to put paving through the cobbles was made about two years before there was even a sniff of a royal visit.

So they were quite willing to let the "decision" gather dust for two years and suddenly its all hands to the pump to get it finished in time for the poxy royal visit..hows about that for co-incidence?

Dont wet your pants there.

Ah good lad. Still avoiding answering my question from earlier in the thread I see.

Do you honestly not believe that there will be a heightened security risk during the Queen's visit?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

Fuinseog wrote: »
    I wonder will they close down the airsoft gunshops in D1 for the day. Whats the story there.can I legally walk around with a toy AK anytime?

Try it :) AFAIK it's illegal to walk around with an imitation firearm at any time and just during a royal visit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Ah good lad. Still avoiding answering my question from earlier in the thread I see.

Do you honestly not believe that there will be a heightened security risk during the Queen's visit?
    A heightened security risk for who exactly?

For the city.

There have been bomb threats, there will more than likely be more. If you can't see how that constitutes a security risk I don't know what else to say.

Even if you don't care specifically for the Queen, anyone trying to get at her isn't going to be a U.S. Marine with a sniper rifle hanging out a 3rd floor window somewhere.

They are likely to be someone planting an explosive device somewhere along the route or carrying a weapon in a crowded place. In both cases, there's massive potential for serious injuries and loss of life, not least in the panic/stampede that would occur in the crowd.

or carrying a weapon in a crowded place. In both cases, there's massive potential for serious injuries and loss of life, not least in the panic/stampede that would occur in the crowd.

You mean like what happened at the Smithfield horse fair a few months back??

No stop and search then because that would be breaching the Human Rights of the Cream Crackers.

For the city.

There have been bomb threats, there will more than likely be more. .

Ah like the sort that were made by Anjem Choudary a while back?

No stop and search of suspicious-looking charcaters because that would breach the Human Rights of the people making the threats.

I'm confused Degsy. You now want people to be searched, just as long as it's not you?

• Advertisement

You mean like what happened at the Smithfield horse fair a few months back??

No stop and search then because that would be breaching the Human Rights of the Cream Crackers.
    Exactly. Though the lack of stop-and-search was down to the Garda in charge of the area, who has now thankfully been replaced with someone more concerned with public safety than the sensitivities of some fringe interest groups.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement