Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is this legal?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I couldn't give a crap what happens to her generally but I do care what happens to her here. It would be very bad for the country's image if she were to be attacked here, leaving aside any possible harm to others.

This 'civil liberties' talk is such shíte. There are lot's of reasons why the Gardai would need to check people going into an area. I see them stopping and searching junkies in the city all the time, for good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

The Queen is visiting Ireland and she's going to be protected at all costs. Be assured that the measures being taken ARE legal. Get over it. It's going to happen. No amount of agitating by frivolous trouble-makers is going to change that. She'll then return to England and life will continue as before. End of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Degsy wrote: »
    You mean like what happened at the Smithfield horse fair a few months back??

No stop and search then because that would be breaching the Human Rights of the Cream Crackers.
    That's just not true. If the Gardaí wanted to search them, they could.

You seem to have some unrealistic vision of what human rights / natural rights / civil liberties are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

That's just not true. If the Gardaí wanted to search them, they could.

Yeah? And have half the crusties on this site coming down on thier "heavy handed" approach as well as the weirdos in Residents against Racism and Pavee Point accusing all and sundry of "discriminaion"?

Too much like hard work..go after the ordinary citizens instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

Yeah? And have half the crusties on this site coming down on thier "heavy handed" approach as well as the weirdos in Residents against Racism and Pavee Point accusing all and sundry of "discriminaion"?

Too much like hard work..go after the ordinary citizens instead.

and how do they differentiate between ordinary citizens and people bent on disruption or worse, ....... O here's a mad idea lads, lets stop people on the street and talk to them. If their ok they can go on their way, if their suspicious we can search them........................... Gardai and their crazy ideas!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I wonder how many of the pro-visit campaigners actually live in the affected security zones. Of course they will say they live in the zones :rolleyes:, its strange that anyone i know outside boards that lives in or near the security zones and whose daily business will be under lockdown are furious at the security measures during the visit.

O alright then. We'll do away with the security zones and tell the Gardaí not to stop and search people. Everything will then be fine and there will be no problem. Sounds reasonable, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Gravale wrote: »
    O alright then. We'll do away with the security zones and tell the Gardaí not to stop and search people. Everything will then be fine and there will be no problem. Sounds reasonable, eh?

Lets be realistic here. Does anyone expect random stop and searches and poking around peoples flats to actually turn up terrorists? Do you think the agents of one of the most effective urban paramilitary groupings in the world just stroll down main thoroughfares and through checkpoints with bombs in their pockets? "Ah ye got me Garda O'Shea, I shoulda hid my semtex in my sock". Get real.

This whole operation is for show, for the benefit of official Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Wrighty82

Does everyone get the day off work? Cuz if that's the case I'm getting my Union Jack out for sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

CiaranC wrote: »
    Lets be realistic here. Does anyone expect random stop and searches and poking around peoples flats to actually turn up terrorists? Do you think the agents of one of the most effective urban paramilitary groupings in the world just stroll down main thoroughfares and through checkpoints with bombs in their pockets? "Ah ye got me Garda O'Shea, I shoulda hid my semtex in my sock". Get real.

The fact of the matter is that if there weren't checkpoints they could do that. Hence checkpoints.

• Advertisement

gurramok wrote: »
    I wonder how many of the pro-visit campaigners actually live in the affected security zones. Of course they will say they live in the zones :rolleyes:, its strange that anyone i know outside boards that lives in or near the security zones and whose daily business will be under lockdown are furious at the security measures during the visit.
    I have both a house and an apartment in the security area and I work on Church Street, I couldn't give a toss about minor inconvenience driving for a few days. It won't stop me from walking anywhere I need to go, businesses will not be closed.

I have both a house and an apartment in the security area.

No wonder your hoping the economy picks up!

businesses will not be closed.

YES THEY WILL!!!

No wonder your hoping the economy picks up!

YES THEY WILL!!!
    I don't give half a **** about the economy picking up. I owe no money on my properties, not that it's any of your business.

What businesses will be closed? C'mon.

I don't give half a **** about the economy picking up. I owe no money on my properties, not that it's any of your business..

Lets hope the CAB dont take an interest in you..its happened before.
    What businesses will be closed? C'mon.

Well the Library Shop in trinity college(a business open to tourists) will be closed.

O dear! A library shop in Trinity College will be closed. How tragic! Let's call off the security measures for a visiting head of state. We wouldn't like to cause anyone any inconvenience, especially tourists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

We wouldn't like to cause anyone any inconvenience, especially tourists.
    We are plunging the city into chaos and wrecking the heads of tourists who are here in order to attract tourists, did you not get the memo there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

You know what would really plunge the city into chaos?

A bomb. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Ahoyhoy

These quotes are taken from a few threads but this post is generally aimed at the utter insanity that is quoted below.
    You may be sure that certain "People" will be profiting from the whole sordid mess..I'm looking at the Gombeens and thier Usual Suspects.
    "people"??? Adding quotations marks does not make something suspicious.
    cosmic wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but I imagine that house and car burglaries and petty crime will definitely be on the increase during Queenie's visit, what with all the Gardai deployed to ensuring her safety.
    Anywhere she's visiting is absolutely crawling with Gardaí. You'd be mad to try and commit a crime in Cork or Dublin city now. And they're not being redeployed from anywhere else, they're all working more hours.
    gurramok wrote: »
    The British queen will be visiting Guinness Brewery, that will mean the poster will not be able to access James Hospital by any mobile transport on the day she visits(which we do not even know exact time yet). If its another day, the Finglas bus will not make it into town as she will be somewhere else in the city!!
    St. James' hospital has two entrances (Rialto, a fair distance from the James' Street entrance but not too far to drive), an A&E (one of the busiest in Ireland) and the only critical care burns unit in the country. Do you really think it will be inaccessible?
    The poxy queen come back when the country is in better shape,unless she wants to give us a loan of a few billion quid.
    I know it's been said already but THE BRITISH DID GIVE US A LOAN. Have you ever read a newspaper or do you just get all your information from people just like you on boards.ie? If so, I suggest you use a more reliable source.
    If the guards want to be so consciencious maybe they shoud employ a bit of stop and search around the earl st,boardwalk,Clery's area to stop scum dealing in broad daylight. Of course its an easier days work for them to hassle ordinary people minding thier own business
    So if you live on the Northside or wear a tracksuit you should be searched? Sounds remarkably like the pre-civil rights movement US, the sort of "if you're black you're guilty of something" type mindset.
    I am not going to be "blown up"
    Could this possibly be because of the work the Gardaí and the Army are doing? Such as here and here and here?
    Do you think if you keep saying this someone will agree that its what they think?
    No, he's trying to point out that lots of people already do agree with him and disagree with you. In every way imaginable.

And last but by no means least ridiculous:
    Where i work has spent over a million euro installing a new walkway so the old hag wont be discomoded walking on the cobblestones

WHAT?:mad:WHAT? You really truly think this? This plan has been in place for TWO YEARS. They started work on it before there was even a sniff of the Queen here! And believe me they had to be bullied into it by every advocacy group in college before they would finally agree to do it. It's part of a huge overhaul in access which is why they're also making changes to loads of bathrooms and lecture theatres. I know this because I'm registered with the Disability Service and I've been begging for this path for a long time. Though I will agree with you that where it ends is stupid. Also I'd like to see proof that it's costing over a million euro. You're such a big bloody fan of asking people for evidence and saying that they're lying and suspecting them of illicit activity and propaganda then bloody well prove it.

I apologise for the length of the post. I felt the anger building as I read through this thread and I couldn't take it any more...I should probably have just stopped reading...

Imagine the repercussions if the Queen was killed and we told the British that we didn't want to inconvenience the tourists or irritate the locals, and that security measures don't work so we didn't use them.

We 'inconvenienced' the entire city when the Pope came here in '79 and everyone understood and didn't moan. What those here who are opposed to the security measures are showing is an inability to put the past behind them, thereby perpetuating the illness that that brought so much misery to this country until the return in recent years of peace via political means rather than by violence.

What's happening with this visit is an opportunity to show the British our generosity of spirit by giving the Queen a real Irish welcome. Why should the moaners and the small-minded be the cause of so much trouble totally out of proportion to their tiny numbers. Think of our children and lets not burden them with the sourness of our sad past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Ahoyhoy

Imagine the repercussions if the Queen was killed and we told the British that we didn't want to inconvenience the tourists or irritate the locals, and that security measures don't work so we didn't use them.

We 'inconvenienced' the entire city when the Pope came here in '79 and everyone understood and didn't moan. What those here who are opposed to the security measures are showing is an inability to put the past behind them, thereby perpetuating the illness that that brought so much misery to this country until the return in recent years of peace via political means rather than by violence.

What's happening with this visit is an opportunity to show the British our generosity of spirit by giving the Queen a real Irish welcome. Why should the moaners and the small-minded be the cause of so much trouble totally out of proportion to their tiny numbers. Think of our children and lets not burden them with the sourness of our sad past.

Here here, this visit has huge significance. I'm more than happy to have someone lazily look through my bag if that's all it takes. And I just remembered something, Ireland lost loads of tourism because of the troubles because people thought it was a dangerous place to go. This is a way for us to show how far we have come as a nation, recession or no, we have come very far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Speaking through an interpreter Degsy said he'll be back in a few days.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement