Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MoBo Busted?

Options
  • 12-05-2011 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Hi,

After some severe lightning on Monday my PC was not booting at all. It brought up a message indicating "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter". This was my first self build about 18 months ago so am now trying to see where the problem is.

After some switching of HD Sata ports the PC did start but with no USB connections and no Lan. By using an old type keyboard rather than USB I was able to login but after trying to reinstall the driver for the LAN it is now not booting at all.

I think my MoBo may be fried but want to see if anyone has any suggestions before I order another one?

This is the new one I am looking at.
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/gigabyte-s1156-intel-p55-atx-ddr3-a-l-69H4.html

Thanks,
    Lastbuilders

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Hi,

After some severe lightning on Monday my PC was not booting at all. It brought up a message indicating "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter". This was my first self build about 18 months ago so am now trying to see where the problem is.

After some switching of HD Sata ports the PC did start but with no USB connections and no Lan. By using an old type keyboard rather than USB I was able to login but after trying to reinstall the driver for the LAN it is now not booting at all.

I think my MoBo may be fried but want to see if anyone has any suggestions before I order another one?

This is the new one I am looking at.
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/gigabyte-s1156-intel-p55-atx-ddr3-a-l-69H4.html

Thanks,
    Lastbuilders

It is absolutely impossible for anyone to give you any advice without detailing the specs of the machine.

But one piece of advice I can give you, is to always use a surge protected plug / power strip to connect your PC to the wall with. I use a 4-way surge protected power strip I bought in Aldi I think for about €15.

Offers at least a reasonable bit of protection over plugging the PSU directly to the wall.

You would want to check that the PSU isn't damaged in some way also, and to be honest, I would replace it anyway just to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭lastbuilders

Current setup is
    4GB-Kit G-Skill PC3-10667U CL9

Antec Three Hundred, ATX, ohne Netzteil

Corsair VX450W 450 Watt

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3, Intel P55, ATX, DDR3, PCI-Express

Intel Core i5-750 Box 8192Kb, LGA1156

MSI R5750-PM2D1G, 1024MB, PCI-Express

Samsung HD103SI 1TB SATA II EcoGreen, 32MB

I planned on getting a power surge protector too.

Lastbuilders

You don't happen to have access to another machine do you?

It may be the power supply has taken the brunt of the damage, and most other components still work fine - but the PSU being iffy is whats causing the issue.

I'd ideally test each component separately to ensure they work.

**edit

Oh but yes, the UD3 is a decent board.

Only have a very old Dell which would not accomodate these components I am afraid.

I will try a new PSU first and see what happens.

Cheers,
    Lastbuilders

Do you know anyone with a fairly decent PC that you could swap the components into?

Just to save you buying some things that aren't needed.

• Advertisement

Not close to home I am afraid. I did a clean install last night so will see over the weekend how it goes before ordering PSU\MoBo next week.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Lastbuilders

Hi ,

I have not been ale to get any further with my problems I'm afraid.

Is there any particualr reason you think the PSU is to blame for this and can you recommend a replacement before I order tomorrow?

I am going to order the Mobo and PSU.

Thinking of the following

Asus P7P55D-E PRO, P55 Express, S1156, PCI-E 2.0, DDR3 2200(OC), USB 3.0, SATA 6Gb/s, SATA RAID, ATX

650W XFX XXX Edition, Modular, 80 PLUS Bronze, 85% Eff', SLI/CrossFire, EPS 12V, 135mm Fan

Thanks,
    Lastbuilders

You don't happen to have access to another machine do you?

It may be the power supply has taken the brunt of the damage, and most other components still work fine - but the PSU being iffy is whats causing the issue.

I'd ideally test each component separately to ensure they work.

**edit

Oh but yes, the UD3 is a decent board.

Hi,

Just an update on this. Got my new motherboard and set it up and after some teething problems so far so good. Thanks for the feedback on this one.

Lastbuilders

Hi,

Just an update on this. Got my new motherboard and set it up and after some teething problems so far so good. Thanks for the feedback on this one.

Lastbuilders

Cool, is it working with the old PSU?

Yes. Same PSU. Lightning must have come through the LAN form the Modem I guess.

Cheers,
    LAstbuilders

• Advertisement
Advertisement