Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second chance student - free fees question

Options
  • 12-05-2011 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hi there,

Bit of a complicated question this one, but anyways. I went back to college as a mature student a couple of years ago to study Maths but ended up dropping out of the first year of the course due to a combination of factors - wife was ill, part-time job went kaput, etc. Now I did get the free fees and grant as there had been over a 5 year gap between the last time I studied at 3rd level and the start of the most recent course. In 2000 I had completed one year of an arts degree (French & Italian) but ended up dropping out in second year due to poverty basically. I'm thinking of going back and finishing a languages degree, starting from second year but I'm just wondering would I actually be able to claim free fees again for this. Technically, as a second chance student, I haven't used up the second year of free fees yet (or subsequent years), so to speak, so if I did get admission to the second year of a languages degree could I just resume the free fees again? I've been unemployed for the few months and I'd be entitled to back to education allowance as well which would take a lot of strain off this time, seeing as I was really only surviving on the grant and some savings last time.

Anyways thanks for any help with this.

Advertisement