Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 2011 Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Helix wrote: »
    not when it plays like crap its not

Have you played it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

It's a shame they all sell so well. Such a flooded genre.
    Money destroying the industry, (no pinko).
    I miss the old days of hardcore games when developers gave the players some credit and believed they had half a brain and were able to finish a difficult game. The water temple.
    Nowadays you don't die in games.

It's not really the difficulty or lack there of that bothers me, as much as the fact that the bulk of them taste like the same game. The reason they sell so well is because there are so many of them, and the reason there are so many of them is because they sell so well. It's a vicious circle. I look at my Xbox 360 collection and see that there are tons of FPS games in there, and I'm not even a real FPS fan. The reason I own so many is because, as you mentioned earlier, pretty much everything is a FPS at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Dcully wrote: »
    Have you played it?

yup

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Headshot wrote: »
    omfg twisted metal

oh i remember playing you back in the day

Yea me too I loved it so so so much back in the day. I missed the Twisted Metal bit there on E3 though. What did we see??

yup

Do elaborate on "not when it plays like crap its not"
    PC spec played on etc?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Do you have much experience of MMO's? Most MMO's have absolutely appalling battle systems but it's the social aspects that make up for this shortcoming.

PC spec played on etc?

dont know the specs because they were EA's machines

and it plays like crap because its dull, the combat is dreadful, and the whole thing felt like an ordeal

however, the caveat on that is that it was a year ago

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Do you have much experience of MMO's? Most MMO's have absolutely appalling battle systems but it's the social aspects that make up for this shortcoming.

god no, mmos scare me

as a social experience im sure its great, as a game though it was horribly lacking. personally, i prefer my games to be games

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

deathrider wrote: »
    Agreed completely. Everything and it's mother is a FPS these days.

not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Just finished watching the Microsoft presser.

Meh. The Kinect Fun Labs and Ghost Recon with the Kinect demonstration were probably the only things that really made me sit up and take notice.

Everything else didn't really entice me at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

PC spec played on etc?

A good few websites i follow have commentated saying it's nothing new, PVP is flawed and boring and it follows the exact same MMO concept like every other game.

Personally i could never see it working. They were selling it on the story alone yet the percentage of people who buy a MMO for it's story is probably in the very very low percent's.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/05/05/hands-on-star-wars-the-old-republic-pvp/

dont know the specs because they were EA's machines

and it plays like crap because its dull, the combat is dreadful, and the whole thing felt like an ordeal

however, the caveat on that is that it was a year ago

Without trying to be a smartass how much time did you play?
    Anyone that knows anything about MMOs understand an MMO cannot be judged in minutes, hours and in most cases days, they take weeks if not months to fully grasp and make judgement.

You said the game played like crap yet in the same breath you said MMos scare you and you have little to no experience with them.
    No offence mate but your hardly one to pass judgement let alone make a statement like "not when it plays like crap its not"
    Remember MMOs are not hack n slash games :)

Stev_o wrote: »
    They were selling it on the story alone yet the percentage of people who buy a MMO for it's story is probably in the very very low percent's.

yeah if youre pushing something based on story line single player is the best option imo. you can do so much more without the added variables other players throw into the mix

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Personally i could never see it working. They were selling it on the story alone yet the percentage of people who buy a MMO for it's story is probably in the very very low percent's.

That's because the percentage of MMO's that focus on story is probably 0%.

I've not played it, so i can't say for sure, but the combat looks like it will keep me as interested as any MMO's combat has. Warcraft kept me interested for 6 years (on and off), and it's combat wasnt anything amazing. Bioware know how to write a good story, and from the sounds of things, they've done a pretty good job.

Without trying to be a smartass how much time did you play?

we had about an hour in a group of 16 with one machine each
    Anyone that knows anything about MMOs understand an MMO cannot be judged in minutes, hours and in most cases days, they take weeks if not months to fully grasp and make judgement.

thats lovely, however knowing whether or not a game's intrinsic mechanics work takes much less time
    You said the game played like crap yet in the same breath you said MMos scare you and you have little to no experience with them.

correct. i may not know mmos but i know when a game plays well or not
    No offence mate but your hardly one to pass judgement let alone make a statement like "not when it plays like crap its not"
    Remember MMOs are not hack n slash games :)

i know mmos arent hack and slash games, nowhere did i point to anything that would suggest i had made such an error. im perfectly able to pass judgement on whether i think a game plays well or not. the old republic, at the stage i played it at, played like a dog

A good few websites i follow have commentated saying it's nothing new, PVP is flawed and boring and it follows the exact same MMO concept like every other game.

I have read countless accounts on the game, i dont dispute their claims either, most MMOs follow the same old routine with subtle difference here and there and it normally boils down to end game content on how successful and MMO will be, somebody that says they have no experience with MMOs and obviously has not experienced end game in my opinion is in no position to pass judgement.
    Again no offence to Helix :)

Kiith wrote: »
    That's because the percentage of MMO's that focus on story is probably 0%.

I've not played it, so i can't say for sure, but the combat looks like it will keep me as interested as any MMO's combat has. Warcraft kept me interested for 6 years (on and off), and it's combat wasnt anything amazing. Bioware know how to write a good story, and from the sounds of things, they've done a pretty good job.

Each to one's own. I don't think Bioware have done a game with a good story in a very very long time maybe since the original Mass Effect maybe?

I just don't think a story that you get in a traditional RPG can be translated into a MMO. Let's be honest if anyone has played a MMO they know in the first week it's mostly a rush to the final level cap. People skip and text and power there way through. I guarantee that people will skip through the majority of text and cutscenes in the game just so they can keep on grinding.

We'll see but i think that Bioware could have a very expensive flop on their hands.

someone who knows nothing about food can tell if a meal tastes like crap

I guarantee that people will skip through the majority of text and cutscenes in the game just so they can keep on grinding.

You're probably right, but i sure as hell won't be one of those people. I can;t wait to see how they do it, and with every npc being fully voiced, there won't be as much text to skip.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,382 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

reminds me of little big planet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

someone who knows nothing about food can tell if a meal tastes like crap

Have a play of WoW or any other well acclaimed MMO and report back how you found the experience.

WoW combat consists of hitting 1 2 3 4 and then starting again, yet they still have 12m subscribers.

Kiith wrote: »
    You're probably right, but i sure as hell won't be one of those people. I can;t wait to see how they do it, and with every npc being fully voiced, there won't be as much text to skip.

Iv no doubt there will be a number of people that won't but the problem being is that this is a MMO not a RPG. It can feel quite scary seeing everyone progress faster then you because your taking your time watching the cutscenes and reading the dialogue compared to someone else who's just power leveling.

At the end of the day a MMO is going to be judged on it's PVP game and it's end game Raid content. It's not going to be considered for how many cutscenes it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Feck it, I've got nothing good to play at the moment, so I may aswell watch the Ubisoft conference.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,847 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Mr. Caffeine = Mr. Doosh

And 45% of all statistics are made up...

Lukker- wrote: »
    Have a play of WoW or any other well acclaimed MMO and report back how you found the experience.

WoW combat consists of hitting 1 2 3 4 and then starting again, yet they still have 12m subscribers.

while the old republic combat consists of wobbling to a point on the screen and firing clumsily at an enemy in the most brainless manner ive seen in a game in a long time

whether i am into mmos or not doesnt affect my ability to know when a game feels like it plays well or not. if the battle system involved typing thequickbrownfoxjumpedoverthelazydog repeatedly but actually felt coherent like it fit within the game world that would be fine. when something in any genre of a game IMMEDIATELY feels like ahalf baked chore, you have issues

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,847 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

"Yes, i'm not afraid of Dick jokes"

I'd say he's not afraid of dicks, period!

I want another Stuntman game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I have read countless accounts on the game, i dont dispute their claims either, most MMOs follow the same old routine with subtle difference here and there and it normally boils down to end game content on how successful and MMO will be, somebody that says they have no experience with MMOs and obviously has not experienced end game in my opinion is in no position to pass judgement.

Idd, you really need to sink a lot of hours into a MMO before you can really judge it.. one hour for someone thats completely new to MMO's is barely enough time to get started. If it was wow you'd still be in the starting area.

I've no problem believing that the game didn't play all that great over a year ago, it probably wasn't even in alpha testing.

Advertisement