Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 2011 Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's a pic of the console on eurogamer. Looks like a Wii with the 360's curves and is quite small. Looks gorgoeus for a console.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

theteal wrote: »
    How many times have your controllers accidentally hit the floor? Is it a super bang resistant screen?
    Not to mention deliberately thrown across the room. I'm always amazed by how sturdy 360 controllers are. So yeah I don't think I'll be getting this. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Lukker- wrote: »
    No it runs from the 7th-9th.

http://www.e3expo.com/

conferences started on sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

In terms of giving out information this was the worst press conference yet of E3 2011. They had something big to show to the public but it was so confusing that I'm left underwhelmed.

The first video of Wii U made it look as though it was just a peripheral for the Wii as all the footage was of Wii games. Then they started to talk about their third party support with games like Assassin's Creed and Batman Arkham City.

So I guess the controller was just running Wii games on the new Wii U console. If they had shown the new console first it would have made things far more clear. Also giving out a few specs on what the console can do would have been nice.

I do like the controller though. It would be nice to be able to continue on playing when your other half takes control of the TV.

I thought they did a better job with the 3DS. Free Zelda Four Swords is a nice touch. The games I'm really looking forward to are Mario 3DS, Luigi's Mansion and Mario Kart. Mario 3DS in particular looked excellent. The third party games didn't look too good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

new-nintendo-wii-e3-small.png

For stuff like this it's nice.

Specs have been mentioned in a press release and on the kotaku website.

Launches: 2012
    Size: Approximately 1.8 inches tall, 6.8 inches wide and 10.5 inches long.
    New Controller: The new controller incorporates a 6.2-inch, 16:9 touch screen and traditional button controls, including two analog Circle Pads. This combination removes the traditional barriers between games, players and the TV by creating a second window into the video game world. The rechargeable controller includes a Power button, Home button, +Control Pad, A/B/X/Y buttons, L/R buttons and ZL/ZR buttons. It includes a built-in accelerometer and gyroscope, rumble feature, camera, a microphone, stereo speakers, a sensor strip and a stylus.
    Other Controls: Up to four Wii Remote™ (or Wii Remote Plus) controllers can be connected at once. The new console supports all Wii™ controllers and input devices, including the Nunchuk™ controller, Classic Controller™, Classic Controller Pro™ and Wii Balance Board™.
    Media: A single self-loading media bay will play 12-centimeter proprietary high-density optical discs for the new console, as well as 12-centimeter Wii optical discs.
    Video Output: Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i. Compatible cables include HDMI, component, S-video and composite.
    Audio Output: Uses AV Multi Out connector. Six-channel PCM linear output through HDMI.
    Storage: The console will have internal flash memory, as well as the option to expand its memory using either an SD memory card or an external USB hard disk drive.
    CPU: IBM Power®-based multi-core microprocessor.
    Other: Four USB 2.0 connector slots are included. The new console is backward compatible with Wii games and Wii accessories.
    Note: Details are subject to change.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Headshot wrote: »
    Hulk Hogan

What is he advertising his truly awful Kinect game or what.THANK GOD Microroft didn't show that,it was about the only kinect game they didn't mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

So basically wii u is still a wii with a tablet controller -_- FAIL

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

The first video of Wii U made it look as though it was just a peripheral for the Wii as all the footage was of Wii games. Then they started to talk about their third party support with games like Assassin's Creed and Batman Arkham City.

So I guess the controller was just running Wii games on the new Wii U console. If they had shown the new console first it would have made things far more clear. Also giving out a few specs on what the console can do would have been nice.

Exactly.

Notorioux wrote: »

Nope, they just didn't explain the new console well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Circle pads or sticks instead of analogue sticks. Ohhhhhhh Noooees

• Advertisement

Notorioux wrote: »

Not exactly, but whatever :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

No thanks. Looks like playing a game on TV using an IPad as the controller. Another fail for Nintendo I think.

Playing a game for an hour with that... imagine the pain in your hands. You can use the Wii Classic Controller, but that's not a very good joypad.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

DarkJager wrote: »
    No thanks. Looks like playing a game on TV using an IPad as the controller. Another fail for Nintendo I think.

yeah because the DS and Wii were such flops...oh wait..

Grayditch wrote: »
    Playing a game for an hour with that... imagine the pain in your hands. You can use the Wii Classic Controller, but that's not a very good joypad.

I've looked at that pic a few times now trying to figure out how big it actually is. I think I've nailed it - put your hands either side of your keyboard in the pose shown, there is exactly the same width of space between as in the pic.

What the **** nintendo?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

just got back home and i missed all nintendo stuff. i am watching sony press confirence now.

holy **** this year E3 is just unbelievable. i allready lost count on how many games i am actuolly felt in love now!

i dont want to start a fanboy war here, but sony motion controls look way better then xbox one. just having something physical and with buttons makes a huge huge difference.

If I was to rate the 5 conferences so far...
    1. Sony
    2. EA
    3. Ubisoft
    4. Nintendo
    5. Microsoft.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Shred

It's like they created the controller first and now they are going to make the console.

I believe I read in the past that's exactly the way Nintendo work with a new console - they create the controller first.

If I was to rate the 5 conferences so far...
    1. Sony
    2. EA
    3. Ubisoft
    4. Nintendo
    5. Microsoft.

i am watching E3 part 3 now. i honestly can say i can see waaaaaaay better future with sony then xbox... i got all my gaming on xbox now, but i think its time to dust off my ps3 and have it recharged again.

android/ps3/Sony 3d TV bundle/PSVITA(great price)/great exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Shred wrote: »
    I believe I read in the past that's exactly the way Nintendo work with a new console - they create the controller first.

It's also the way they design their games too. Mario Galaxy at first consisted of purely just controlling and moving Mario around and nailing it down.

• Advertisement

The 3D Split Screen idea is amazing. I live split screening with the missus and this would be unreal.

DarkJager wrote: »
    I've looked at that pic a few times now trying to figure out how big it actually is. I think I've nailed it - put your hands either side of your keyboard in the pose shown, there is exactly the same width of space between as in the pic.

What the **** nintendo?

I don't think it's that big, tbh.

I'd be amazed if it were comfortable for long sessions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Has to be one of the worst e3 i ever seen , wheres the excitement.
    :(

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    I don't think it's that big, tbh.

Its insanely big man. The Dreamcast pad was a monster, I thought the original Xbox pad was large as well but this takes the piss - the thing appears to be like holding a small tv in your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I owned a NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Gameboy, Gameboy colour and Gameboy advance but have not bought the latest Nintendo consoles DS, Wii & 3DS. It was probably the Gamecube and Gameboy advance that made me abandon Nintendo, having only bought about 5 games for each and never playing them.

I'm more than likely going to buy the PS Vita, that thing looks gorgeous.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Looks like a chubby wii:
    203141-11x06071813.jpg

I hope PS Vita does everything that WiiU can do. Yes, I hope it directly rips off all those ideas, haha.

sink wrote: »
    I owned a NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Gameboy, Gameboy colour and Gameboy advance but have not bought the latest Nintendo consoles DS, Wii & 3DS. It was probably the Gamecube and Gameboy advance that made me abandon Nintendo, having only bought about 5 games for each and never playing them.

I'm more than likely going to buy the PS Vita, that thing looks gorgeous.

i dont want to be that guy, but didnt PS vita, destroyed anything that ds is...

i am watching sony conference and i just cant believe with so much stuff theyr are coming with!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd be amazed if it were comfortable for long sessions.

If Nintendo know how to do anything right it's making ergonomic controllers. I've no doubt this will be a joy to use. Despite the trolls the Wiimote nunchuk combination is very comfortable if you aren't flailing about like an idiot.

Advertisement