Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long will it take for 1GB BB to arrive here?

• 12-05-2011 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

I know it is very soon, 100MB is almost brand new, but technology keeps rapidly increasing and the next big thing is always mentioned.

Apparently Singapore and South Korea are well on their way to getting it done, which is creepy TBH. I can remember less than a year ago thinking 50MB is huge, of course which it is, but is has become a possibility.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,798 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I seen a sign for it in Derry recently, in an industrial estate trying to attract new businesses.

Not for residential use of course.

Think its possible due to Project Kelvin, which is to bring high speed data linsk from USA to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

CorkMan wrote: »
    I know it is very soon, 100MB is almost brand new, but technology keeps rapidly increasing and the next big thing is always mentioned.

Apparently Singapore and South Korea are well on their way to getting it done, which is creepy TBH. I can remember less than a year ago thinking 50MB is huge, of course which it is, but is has become a possibility.

50MB is not huge, as it is 50MB of storage, 50Mb on the other hand is fast

REMEMBER: Megabytes to measure storage, Megabits to measure speed - two different words

I presume you mean residential broadband? Not for a long time :D

1Gb is already a reality, we just upgraded to a 1Gb line in work with BT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I meant "huge" in a figurative type of, way or whatever the word is. Meaning I didn't mean to refer to the size of a 50MB file, I meant 50 megabits speed is very fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Unless you see somebody wiring up Cat6 or Fibre to your house, not anytime soon. Copper DSL lines will be lucky to ever see 50Mb, I could see them getting Sat cable up to 500Mb with contention.

The difference between here and countries with decent broadband is public funding and laws producing the infrastructure to develop faster speeds. Here we have NTL releasing 100Mb, with as far as I can see no need to release anything faster for about 10 years as nobody else has any infrastructure or plans to invest in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

1 gbits?

Very long time. Vested interests making too much money from the 4th rate shoddy "service" that is foisted on us now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

1 gbits?

Very long time. Vested interests making too much money from the 4th rate shoddy "service" that is foisted on us now.
    this.

small market + massive profits to be made on DSL means we can expect 1Gbit in 10+ years if Eircon has their say. Even UPC is stopping on 120Mb in europe. can copper cable even handle 1Gb? it might have to be FTTH backbone before you can even consider close to those speeds. then you're limited by personal networking, which is limited to 1000mbps in the best case scenarios, and much much lower in reality, so people wouldnt see those speeds because of overheads anyway.
    Wireless routers are only now starting to appear that support upto 450mbps wirelessly, and we all know the actual throughput is much lower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,798 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Won't happen in Ireland for a long long time, but advanced modern countries is a different matter;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    this.

small market + massive profits to be made on DSL means we can expect 1Gbit in 10+ years if Eircon has their say. Even UPC is stopping on 120Mb in europe. can copper cable even handle 1Gb? it might have to be FTTH backbone before you can even consider close to those speeds. then you're limited by personal networking, which is limited to 1000mbps in the best case scenarios, and much much lower in reality, so people wouldnt see those speeds because of overheads anyway.
    Wireless routers are only now starting to appear that support upto 450mbps wirelessly, and we all know the actual throughput is much lower.

Virgin Media managed 1.5Gbps on a standard HFC network Link. While ZON Multimedia offer 1Gb Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

1Gb on wireless g?

Good luck with that....

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭liamf

In any case, there is no current technology which actually needs a 1Gb link. Not for an individual household (a business premises is different).

A very good quality 1920x1080 High Definition video with full surround sound will comfortably fit into 30Mbps.

So 1Gbps is what, 30 simultaneous HD movies? What are you going to do with those?

Even at one or two per individual in the house, well, ... how many people live in your house anyway :)

So it does not make much business sense for someone in Ireland to invest in technology to bring 1Gbps to every household, if there is nothing much to use it for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

this.

small market + massive profits to be made on DSL
    You are obviously not involved in the telecomms business in Ireland.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Nollog

jiggabits internets will launch in 1 to 2 years in dublin via UPC or a real fibre operator.

that's my pessimistic view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Who knows? I had a 14.4kbs modem that couldn't sync at 33kbs and then suddenly I could get DSL. I'm just not that surprised any more.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

this.

small market + massive profits to be made on DSL

Small market = small amount of customer's and HIGH cost of investment and installation of equipment with a small and slow return. This is why Eircom is in insane debt right now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Cabaal wrote: »
    Small market = small amount of customer's and HIGH cost of investment and installation of equipment with a small and slow return. This is why Eircom is in insane debt right now

eircom is not in debt from spending money on telecoms gear, that was the 1980s and 1990s eircom. They are in debt for paying €500m dividends to their shareholders and stuff and borrowing the money for the dividends.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭johnwoods

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    50MB is not huge, as it is 50MB of storage, 50Mb on the other hand is fast

REMEMBER: Megabytes to measure storage, Megabits to measure speed - two different words

I presume you mean residential broadband? Not for a long time :D

1Gb is already a reality, we just upgraded to a 1Gb line in work with BT.

I love the level of authority with which you speak.

You are incorrect.

Megabytes are not exclusively used to measure storage, and Megabits

are not exclusively used to measure speed.

They are both measurements of digital information.

Perhaps you should do some research before you make other people feel stupid about using a big 'B' or a little 'b' when speaking about a gigabit.

50Mb on the other hand is fast Mb is not a measurement of speed your sentence makes no sense.

50megabits is rougly equal to 6.25 megabytes of storage space.

The gigabit is a multiple of the unit bit for digital information or computer storage. The prefix giga (symbol G) is defined in the International System of Units (SI) as a multiplier of 109 (1 billion, short scale),[1] and therefore

1 gigabit = 109bits = 1000000000bits.
    The gigabit has the unit symbol Gbit or Gb.

Using the common byte size of 8 bits, 1 Gbit is equal to 125 megabytes (MB) or approximately 119 mebibytes (MiB).
    The gigabyte is a multiple of the unit byte for digital information storage. The prefix giga means 109 in the International System of Units (SI), therefore 1 gigabyte is 1000000000bytes. The unit symbol for the gigabyte is GB or Gbyte, but not Gb (lower case b) which is typically used for the gigabit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

johnwoods wrote: »
    I love the level of authority with which you speak.

You are incorrect.

Megabytes are not exclusively used to measure storage, and Megabits

are not exclusively used to measure speed.

They are both measurements of digital information.

Perhaps you should do some research before you make other people feel stupid about using a big 'B' or a little 'b' when speaking about a gigabit.

The gigabit is a multiple of the unit bit for digital information or computer storage. The prefix giga (symbol G) is defined in the International System of Units (SI) as a multiplier of 109 (1 billion, short scale),[1] and therefore

1 gigabit = 109bits = 1000000000bits.
    The gigabit has the unit symbol Gbit or Gb.

Using the common byte size of 8 bits, 1 Gbit is equal to 125 megabytes (MB) or approximately 119 mebibytes (MiB).
    The gigabyte is a multiple of the unit byte for digital information storage. The prefix giga means 109 in the International System of Units (SI), therefore 1 gigabyte is 1000000000bytes. The unit symbol for the gigabyte is GB or Gbyte, but not Gb (lower case b) which is typically used for the gigabit.

Technically you are correct, however IN PRACTICE most people use Bits for communication, and Bytes for storage.

It is a CONVENTION, so, whilst the poster used the word "exclusively" and should have used "almost exclusively", they were being helpful and clearing up confusion.

And their contribution was valued.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭johnwoods

Technically you are correct, however IN PRACTICE most people use Bits for communication, and Bytes for storage.

It is a CONVENTION, so, whilst the poster used the word "exclusively" and should have used "almost exclusively", they were being helpful and clearing up confusion.

And their contribution was valued.

Oh, well thanks for clearing that up for me.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Even UPC is stopping on 120Mb in europe. can copper cable even handle 1Gb?

Yes, Copper cable can handle 1GB. As others have pointed out Vigrin media in the UK have done 1.5Gb/s on standard copper. Which looks like they are using 28 bonded channels (100Mb/s uses 4 bonded channels).

A 800Mhz copper cable has 5.5Gb/s of bandwidth (100 bonded channels).

I don't think we will see speeds like this anytime soon, but then 8 years ago when I had 512k DSL, I never imagined you could get 100Mb/s for a third of the price I paid for DSL back then, so who knows.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Cabaal wrote: »

Eircom's debt has nothing to do with capital expenditure and everything to do with the various owners over the years loading massive debt on Eircom by using it as their own personal piggy bank.

When Eircom was privatised it was debt free. Today it is 3.8 billion in debt. You could build two fibre to the home networks to every home in Ireland for that money!!

So no it wasn't spent on equipment or infrastructure

• Advertisement
Advertisement