Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City Library wireless internet

• 12-05-2011 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm doing a course that requires about four hour study per day, and all notes are accessed online (they cannot be downloaded - you have to be connected to the net to access them) and I was thinking that I'd prefer to do my study in the library, or somewhere out of home anyway. I joined the city library (Augustine street) yesterday and today's my first day trying out my new super efficient study venue...

Eh, is the net always this slow?... :confused: I'm using my laptop to access their wireless connection since there's a time limit on the public bricks computers. It wouldn't connect for the first half hour and now it's connected, but painfully, enragingly slow. Anybody know if this is a reliable resource?

(I'd be most shocked and appauled if a service provided by the city council was wasteful or inefficient... :eek: )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Maybe you could load up all the docs you need in separate windows/tabs, and then hibernate the laptop when you leave the library - when you resume they are all still there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Can't be downloaded? What format are they or what course site you using? I'm sure that can be got around...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,020 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm not 100% sure that the library is actually providing that connection themselves.

Obviously you have a laptop, you may want to consider spending E20/month go get yourself mobile broadband of your own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

They do have free wireless but if many are using it that'll slow it right down.
    What speeds were you getting?

:confused:

Why not just ask the staff in there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

westside library has a decent enough connection as far as i know. cafe luna across the road from augustine st. has free wifi. if the city library connection is terrible you could get over-caffeinated in there and you'll fly through your study.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

I think 3 are doing mobile broadband for 9.99 a month. If the course is that important invest some shekels in your education

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

westside library has a decent enough connection as far as i know.

+1. Lovely space to study in and grand new wi-fi. Does well considering it's free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Silly me, had thought the o.p. wanted advice on a location for study, other than their home, not be tackled/hassled about buying broadband. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Silly me, had thought the o.p. wanted advice on a location for study, other than their home, not be tackled/hassled about buying broadband. :rolleyes:
    Confuseddotcom indeed :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement