Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UL Forum Soc.

Options
  • 12-05-2011 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hey Guys!

Rory McShane and Ryan Bourke are creating a new society, the UL Forum Soc. This society will be acting as a medium for discourse and appreciation for all things like:

Science Fiction,
    Fantasy,
    Fiction Novels,
    Graphic Novels,
    and Comics.

Our aims include:
    Weekly movie nights.
    It will act as a medium for trading and swapping comics, books, movies.
    Hosting events, such as having writers, artists give guest talks.
    And organising trips throughout the year!

We are looking for members! You can contact us at ulforumsoc@gmail.com and on facebook at http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_213589951998088

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

Sounds good may well get involved, more for the trips and movie nights. Will you guys not have to wait till September to get it up and running?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Anbo

We are getting the ground work done now and seeing what the interest is like, we will going official in September!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Whats with the name? Reminds me of the time UCD tried to get a boards.ie soc going? Is there no sci-fi soc already in UL? Sounds like a cool club anyway, best of luck with it, I'll be sure to sign any petitions you have to get recognition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 WildeIrony

am... HI there, the name is nice and simple, as Forum would suggest, it is unrestricting but gives everyone the opportunity to come together and talk about things we want to talk about... if a SciFi soc did exist they're about as unknown as The Silence (sorry, but i'm a Who fan....).
    We're here for all the people who want to share their ideas, for example, the likes of what we've mentioned above, science fiction, fantasy... they are interests of Ryan and myself but we're hoping to expand, to take in all interests in the field... including the likes of Harry Potter and Firefly and so on! :)

-Rory Mc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Like I told ya today... I'm in :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

WildeIrony wrote: »
    FireFly
    FIREFLY
    FIREFLY
    FIREFLY!
    -Rory Mc

I never knew you were a firefly fan Rory!

..Now to guess who I am muhahaha

Edit-May I suggest our first action is to do our best to get Kevin Smith to give a talk to the Uni!

Seloth wrote: »
    I never knew you were a firefly fan Rory!

..Now to guess who I am muhahaha

Edit-May I suggest our first action is to do our best to get Kevin Smith to give a talk to the Uni!

HEY Mike! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭CJKeane

You may want to talk to the Film Society regarding the movie nights, as there's quite a lot of red tape to get around and a good deal of money needed to get the licensing to play a movie on campus. I think it's something like €600 a showing.

Really? Interesting... We'll have to look into that, we're still pending approval i'll be honest but we weren't expecting to get any thing on campus anytime soon or the near future anyways. It would probably be more along the lines of a "Social Gathering" somewhere nearby, maybe a member of the society's house. Last thing we want to do is cause conflict or get in trouble at an early stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

CJKeane wrote: »
    You may want to talk to the Film Society regarding the movie nights, as there's quite a lot of red tape to get around and a good deal of money needed to get the licensing to play a movie on campus. I think it's something like €600 a showing.

Is the Flk Soc forming next year as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Not a fan of the name at all, but a fan of everything else, hope to see ye at the Recruitment Drive in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭CJKeane

Is the Flk Soc forming next year as well?

The Film Soc officially formed in the middle of the fall semester 2010.
    Really? Interesting... We'll have to look into that, we're still pending approval i'll be honest but we weren't expecting to get any thing on campus anytime soon or the near future anyways. It would probably be more along the lines of a "Social Gathering" somewhere nearby, maybe a member of the society's house. Last thing we want to do is cause conflict or get in trouble at an early stage.

I was only suggesting that you ask them about their experience with the arts fund and the film rights as even if you have a movie gathering at someone's house it still has to conform to the C&S guidelines. The same thing happened to us with UL Boarders this semester when we wanted to have a club showing of some snowboard/skate/surf movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I was only suggesting that you ask them about their experience with the arts fund and the film rights as even if you have a movie gathering at someone's house it still has to conform to the C&S guidelines. The same thing happened to us with UL Boarders this semester when we wanted to have a club showing of some snowboard/skate/surf movies.

What a pain =/ surely there's some way to get around it nah?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Adam_M

WildeIrony wrote: »

http://www.clubsandsocs.ul.ie/info/guides/Beginners%20Guide.pdf

That will help you. The info relating to film showings is on p58

I dont think you are correct. As long as it is in the home of the person who owns the DVD then it is legally okay. You own the right to show the film in your own house, regardless of whether people are there or not.

As for a way around it. Contact patricia.moriarty@ul.ie. Anime and Manga i know have screened quite a few films this year in the Jonathan Swift to raise money for charity, so it is possible. However, I'm not sure how it worked for them in whether or not the Arts Office paid a fee or if it feel under their non-theatrical licence. The Union also show a number of outdoor films, so they must have a non-theatrical licence as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Adam_M wrote: »
    As for a way around it. Contact patricia.moriarty@ul.ie. Anime and Manga i know have screened quite a few films this year in the Jonathan Swift to raise money for charity, so it is possible. However, I'm not sure how it worked for them in whether or not the Arts Office paid a fee or if it feel under their non-theatrical licence. The Union also show a number of outdoor films, so they must have a non-theatrical licence as well.

Indeed, for our charity event a fee was paid to obtain the licence to show the movies (UL A&M Soc Treasurer here).
    I'd advise ForumSoc talk to Paul Lee about movie licences if they plan to show them as part of their events.

Advertisement