Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in edinburgh for the summer

Options
  • 12-05-2011 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

A group of me and four of my friends (all irish girls) are planning on moving to edinburgh for the summer for work and have no idea where to start.

Does anyone have any advice on where is the best place to stay, where to look for work, if we need a national insurance number......any advice at all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Edinburgh has pretty good transport links but being close to the centre of town is always handy. Most student/summer work accomodation would be in flats in the old stone tenements around easter road, tynecastle, marchmont, gorgie, morningside, merchiston and newington.

You would need an NI number if you want to avoid the dreaded emergency tax...there is more info here

For work going into a local job centre would be your best bet but if you want to have a few interviews lined up before you arrive there are loads of online employment services like http://www.jobsinedinburgh.com/, or you could try the employment suppliments in The Scotsman, Edinburgh Evening News, etc.

As edinburgh has such a huge student population, you shouldn't have any issue finding accommodation, some of the uni's/colleges even rent out their halls of residence.

Any other questions just shout! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SLP17

I worked in Edinburgh for two summers while I was at Uni. If you get over as soon as you finish college you should have no problem in sourcing a job. I worked in the Three Sisters bar the two summers I was there and they always take on a large number of students for the Summer. It was savage craic! You will work some crazy hours but you have an unreal social life too. I would advise staying in a hostel for the first 2-3 nights and calling into all the bars, hotels, restaurants etc and ask to speak to the managers and hand out CV's.

You will be able to obtain a National Insurance number from the Job Centre's, the one in Edinburgh is located just off Princes's St.

Accommodation wise, we looked around the universities for any summer postings of available flats. Gumtree is another option and there are a number of student letting companies out there too.

You will have an amazing summer, enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 collegedropout

Hey my friend and I are both Irish students as well.We're planning on heading to Edinburgh for the summer to work. However we're kinda worried about cost of living well mainly accommodation cause it seems quite expensive. We're planning on heading over cause I was there on holidays last year and it was amazing and there seems like a lot of jobs like on gumtree but we think its best to go over and call into places. If ye'd be up for getting a flat it would save on cost ect, cause I was looking at accommodation and it seems really expensive. let me know what you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Eh nobody has mentioned the small matter of the Edinburgh Fringe Festival with everyman and his dog descending on the city!! With accordingly high rentals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

There is also an enormous amount of employment created by the festival - in conjunction with all the students going home for the summer - I've never had an issue finding accommodation or employment in the summer...heard about lots of people having issues finding hotels or B&B's tho and the prices of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Rodin wrote: »
    Eh nobody has mentioned the small matter of the Edinburgh Fringe Festival with everyman and his dog descending on the city!! With accordingly high rentals.

Thats only august if you go over now or before youd be sorted. Plenty of jobs being advertised in pubs at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭sniffingchimp

Hey my friend and I are both Irish students as well.We're planning on heading to Edinburgh for the summer to work. However we're kinda worried about cost of living well mainly accommodation cause it seems quite expensive. We're planning on heading over cause I was there on holidays last year and it was amazing and there seems like a lot of jobs like on gumtree but we think its best to go over and call into places. If ye'd be up for getting a flat it would save on cost ect, cause I was looking at accommodation and it seems really expensive. let me know what you think?

I dont know how you could possibly think Edinburgh looks expensive compared to Ireland, it's miles cheaper rent-wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Denzooe

Hi SLP17
    Any info on travelling to Edinburgh for Student Summer work.Good places to work,places to avoid
    pay,Tips,Night life

Appreciate any info ,real truth and disappointments
    regards
    Denzooe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

What are the chances of getting a summer job in Edinburgh if I was to head over this month? Accommodation isn't a problem, but I don't have any proper experience. Are there many jobs? Any good sites for finding jobs in Edinburgh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pertisha1

Hi I was thinking of going to Edinburgh for the summer to work. If I went in mid May, do you think there would be much chance of getting a job? I'm only in first year in college so don't have much experience... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Live in Edinburgh myself and there are signs up everywhere looking for staff especially waitresses or bar staff. If you can try and get some experience now. This will help you secure a job when you get here, I would assume preference would go to those who have experience.

There are also plenty of jobs in retail

• Registered Users Posts: 1 paddy89

yeah me an my girlfriend were thinkin about goin to edinburgh for the summer an doin somethin similar, she said u can live on the accomadation in the university or something during summer when there is no one there, if not might might look into renting a house to cut the costs if u didnt mind? we'd both been to edinburgh before an it seems like good crack over there!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

paddy89 wrote: »
    yeah me an my girlfriend were thinkin about goin to edinburgh for the summer an doin somethin similar, she said u can live on the accomadation in the university or something during summer when there is no one there, if not might might look into renting a house to cut the costs if u didnt mind? we'd both been to edinburgh before an it seems like good crack over there!

Paddy the post you quoted was from 2011. If you want a flatshare check out Gumtree.
    You can get 1 beds from 500/600 a month over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Gott

paddy89 wrote: »

Seconding Gumtree. I'm in uni over here and am planning on staying over the summer (I think anyway), but just be careful and don't go in with a landlord who'll turf you out during the Festival to get in visitors who'll pay three times the rent.

Advertisement