Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever think "How can you eat that?"

Options
  • 12-05-2011 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

Hey mods, please move this if it isn't the place for it.

I know that people have different tastes in food and that what suits one palate won't suit another. But have you ever come across something bizarre form of experimentation and just thought "why"?

Came across this today, it's Pizzagna= Pizza and Lasagna and had an overwhelming sense of incredulity.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/05/pizza-plus-lasagna-equals-pizzagna-how-to-make-lasagna-out-of-pizza.html
    A lot of food mashups end up verging strongly into This is Why You Are Fat territory. Then again, some are truly delicious. This is one of those.
    Pizzagna is just what it sounds like: a few whole, thin-crusted, sauced-to-the-edge bar style pizzas layered into a casserole dish with extra sauce and cheese, then covered and baked. Why would one want to do this, you might ask?
    Well, as the whole thing bakes, the extra sauce and cheese melt into the crust, softening it into an almost pasta-like consistency. In fact, the whole thing ends up with a texture remarkably like lasagna, except that it's got the awesome smoky char of a well-browned pizza crust. Of course, pizza-parlor toppings add even more pizza-ness to the casserole. For this one, I used five different pies with five different toppings: Italian sausage, hot soppressata, bacon, ham, and pepperoni. You can mix it up with whatever you'd like.

Fair enough I thought, it's fast food, they probabaly tasted pretty awful to begin with. Until I saw this:
    I'm not kidding when I say that it takes a considerable amount of work to make one of these—making dough, making sauce, grating cheese, baking pies, cooling, layering, and baking, but the results are well worth it. All the comfort of lasagna, with the fun of a pizza.

She made them all! Making pizza is daunting enough (for me anyhow :o) without fashioning it all into a lasagna. I'm not sure if she deserves a medal or an evaluation of some kind.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Things with eggs on them.

I love eggs, but there's a time and a place!!!

I wouldn't be able to eat Nasi Goreng images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-rqQlWPBON9N7uV20ur51HFlqu8VmYShSDeS5kyQpSN9FhBmA

Or fried egg sambos or rolls, pizzas with fried eggs on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Tripe - Yak !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Lots of things! From fairly standard things like:
    Oysters
    Kebabs
    Escargot
    Haggis/tripe

To admittedly more exotic foods such as:
    Balut
    Bazashi - raw horsemeat
    Ortolan - brandy soaked bird
    Fish/squid which is not yet dead
    Fugu (even if it's fully dead)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

Fertilized eggs containing nearly developed fetuses.
    Now you dont need to click on the link to see what it is if you dont fancy seeing pictures of that.
    You're welcome.

Brains and testicles. Apparently both are delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ryandublin

ElleEm wrote: »
    Things with eggs on them.

I love eggs, but there's a time and a place!!!

I wouldn't be able to eat Nasi Goreng images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-rqQlWPBON9N7uV20ur51HFlqu8VmYShSDeS5kyQpSN9FhBmA

Or fried egg sambos or rolls, pizzas with fried eggs on top.
    Fried eggs on top of rice are pretty standard in Asia.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

Egg on rice is quite tasty. Ended up trying it after a paticularly poverty-stricken week.

But on topic, egg on pizza worries me. So does fish on pizza. And spicy fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

God I clicked on that Balut link. Only thing I thought of was ew, crunchy.

I'm a fiend for eggs, but really don't understand them on top of pizza. So difficult to get them to even stay on top of the pizza as well, couple of times I've had to fish them up of the floor of the oven. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

Haha, I posted the pizza-lasange link into irc and got the following reply.

[22:29] <reallyrose> http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/05/pizza-plus-lasagna-equals-pizzagna-how-to-make-lasagna-out-of-pizza.html
    [22:32] <Bass> why not put everything you have in the fridge in a blender and turn it on and dance around it singing chants?

Pretty much what I thought about it too.

Checking out "This is why you're fat", I found this:
    tumblr_kzjfn8qG6z1qzvnxpo1_500.jpg
    Irish Egg Rolls
    Egg rolls stuffed with corned beef, cabbage and swiss cheese.

:eek::eek::eek:

That's foul. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

reallyrose wrote: »
    But on topic, egg on pizza worries me. So does fish on pizza. And spicy fish.
    Egg is one of my favourite toppings on pizza!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Egg is one of my favourite toppings on pizza!

No way! The idea of the yolk bursting as you bite into anything freaks me out!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

No way, the runnier the yolk the better :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I was just browsing through the Denny's website while reading the 'American Fast Food' thread and came across this

baconalia.jpg

Ice- cream sundae with bacon in it - Weird!

Not quite as extreme as the other posts here, but my sister used to dip her cheese and onion crisps in her orange juice. She also used to dip her sausages in her milk. She ate a woodlice too once, but we were babies so I guess I can't still hold it against her...

I saw this on QI once though:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surstr%C3%B6mming

I saw this on a food programme about food in Scandinavia. Really not sure if I could stomach it though, though the presenter at the time was rather convincing when he said that they wern't that bad. :eek:

I'm a complete cheese fiend and love trying new cheeses, but I don't think that I could ever try this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu_marzu

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

I actually want to try that cheese! Would you try this one?

details on its preparation here.

You know, I probably would! There was an ice-creamist making something similar in London, they called it "Baby Gaga". It caused a big stir and then I think they got sued. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

yeah I probably would too, the ice-cream sounds interesting but the idea of it being in business is a tad odd for me. They were forced to stop selling the icecream due to health and safety concerns even though they had screened the mothers beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Truley wrote: »
    I was just browsing through the Denny's website while reading the 'American Fast Food' thread and came across this

baconalia.jpg

Ice- cream sundae with bacon in it - Weird!

Ugh, that looks revolting. I can't imagine it tastes any better....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

curry, cheese, chips

horrificly looking

heavenly tasting

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I don't know .. I reckon that bacon ice cream could work. Salty and sweet complement each other quite well. I've had pancakes with bacon and maple syrup and they were delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

That bacon ice cream actually looks really good.

A fried egg on top of rice is lovely, if the yolk is runny it makes a nice sauce for the rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Kojak wrote: »
    Ugh, that looks revolting. I can't imagine it tastes any better....
    Why?
    Maple syrup on ice-cream is fine right?
    Maple cure bacon is standard too

It's sweet crossed with salty, its only a small amount of bacon. Say its fine.

i also think its quite fitting that its sold by fast food chain Denny's in the US.
    Denny being a major bacon brand in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i'll give most things a try, but when i was in thailand with my wife a few years ago, we were eating with some friends (one of which was thai) and part of the meal (a pretty big meal, truth be told) was a whole steamed fish of some sort and as we were eating, the thai lady leaned over to the fish, snapped off it's head and proceeded to suck the eyeballs out of it's skull. :eek:

my wife very nearly puked on the spot. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

Have a friend who loves peanut butter on tuna. Swears it's delicious, but I gagged just watching him spread the PB on... blech!

vibe666 wrote: »
    i'll give most things a try, but when i was in thailand with my wife a few years ago, we were eating with some friends (one of which was thai) and part of the meal (a pretty big meal, truth be told) was a whole steamed fish of some sort and as we were eating, the thai lady leaned over to the fish, snapped off it's head and proceeded to suck the eyeballs out of it's skull. :eek:

Oh god, I think I would have had the same reaction as you wife! Reminds me of Christmases a long time ago, when me grandmother would serve a baked salmon and replace the eyeball with a stuffed olive. I'm sure that it was the thing to do years back, but my god it looked ridiculous. :)

Advertisement