Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which Router?

• 12-05-2011 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭

Hi . Im going to keep this short and harsh. Im looking for a router not one that will plug into the telephone line. but one that will run off another router. Im going down to Pc world or currys. which ever is closer. im not spending anymore at €100 can anyone help me to pick the right one. Thank you

Please dont give me jim jam stuff :p . im going straight in and out .basic is all i want. Thanks for any advice ye can give :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

For what?

You could just buy a Hub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 123 ✭✭tonto2010

Hi . Im going to keep this short and harsh. Im looking for a router not one that will plug into the telephone line. but one that will run off another router. Im going down to Pc world or currys. which ever is closer. im not spending anymore at €100 can anyone help me to pick the right one. Thank you

Please dont give me jim jam stuff :p . im going straight in and out .basic is all i want. Thanks for any advice ye can give :D

Need more info chief, what are you trying to do? ie the purpose of the extra device?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

I have a router in my room(main router DSL). i also have a router in my sitting room off of the main router that is connected to the telephone line. im now trying to do the same set up in another house beside me but i just dont know what router to buy . i bought one but it needed to be plugged into the Phone line. was a DSL router . i dont want that. i dont know the name of them. I dont want to go breaking them either so that they by pass the DSL. Its a tight buget. Im not experienced with Routers and for another person who doesnt want to wast over €60. Just plug in and play type of router . if ye get me :o

Sounds like your looking to extend your wireless network to another house? if so what to need is a wireless "access point" or "base station".

You might need to configure it when you get it with the details of your existing router. This is called bridging, try to find someone with a bit of knowledge in PC World and ask them, this will probably be hard!

Get something with the name, Linksys or netgear and these are usually pretty reliable and should only cost you about 50 lids. Post back on here when you get the device if you get stuck setting it up.

tonto2010 wrote: »
    Sounds like your looking to extend your wireless network to another house? if so what to need is a wireless "access point" or "base station".

You might need to configure it when you get it with the details of your existing router. This is called bridging, try to find someone with a bit of knowledge in PC World and ask them, this will probably be hard!

Thanks Tonto. I know what im doing alright:). I have the Ethernet Cable all ready going to their house. There using it for another job. But ITs really just what router to get, to stick onto the end of the Cable.
    This is the router i have already that gives me the Broadband http://c0.dmlimg.com/1fc1c1c2db5852e08ffc380475e263366f7b2de5d0316087a3db67db0d0d5a26.jpg

This is what im using in my sitting room for other devices
    http://onemansblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/NetgearWNR854TWirelessGigabitRouter.jpg

I am now looking to buy another one of these to attach on. Just not this one with the price tag. :D

• Advertisement

Looks like your all set then, see what they have in PC World in the way of Wireless Access points, not sure if they stock them. Online would be way cheaper if you were willing to wait a few days. Something similar to what you already have here

tonto2010 wrote: »
    Looks like your all set then, see what they have in PC World in the way of Wireless Access points, not sure if they stock them. Online would be way cheaper if you were willing to wait a few days. Something similar to what you already have here

And thats the same roughly as the white one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

You'll be robbed blind in PC world. Komplett have the excellent Linksys e2000 for only 70euro at the moment if you can bare to wait?

Advertisement