Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend me a bike

• 12-05-2011 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi im an avid road cyclist and want to get into racing so am planning on investing in a new bike. My budget is around 700-800 euro but I will be availing of the bike to work scheme so I think that means i can afford a bike thats approximately 1200 euro? correct me if im wrong.......So what bike would people recommend

I was looking at this planet x

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPSP/sl-pro-carbon-sram-rival

but the price seems to have jumped up in the last couple of days?

Any other recommendations?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭Plastik

That price has definitely jumped over the last day or so. Seems to be about €100 more expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

There are a few textual inconsistencies. The sterling prices have gone up.

e.g. on the SL Pro Athena page...

"SL Pro Carbon With Campag Athena £1,299.00 free UK delivery...Yeh that's right, a Campagnolo Planet X bike for under 1100 quid"

Er no, that's wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 15lean

Ye its strange alright. Any other bikes people could recommend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

They seem to be updating the site at the moment. Was ogling the PX Nanolight and the prices have all changed this week. They had options with LTD in the name that had a groupset of mixed components. They have been replaced with higher spec'd bikes at a much higher price (with the exception of one Campagnolo option).

Sent PX Ireland an email asking about the price changes but it's been three days and no reply.

Gonna just wait until the site updates are complete with my fingers crossed!

humbert wrote: »
    They seem to be updating the site at the moment. Was ogling the PX Nanolight and the prices have all changed this week. They had options with LTD in the name that had a groupset of mixed components. They have been replaced with higher spec'd bikes at a much higher price (with the exception of one Campagnolo option).

Sent PX Ireland an email asking about the price changes but it's been three days and no reply.

Gonna just wait until the site updates are complete with my fingers crossed!

Ye lets hope the prices land on the low end of the scale!

• Advertisement

Will also be keeping a close eye on the prices. I was going to place an order for an SL Pro next week, but the extra cost will mean I might reconsider, it will bump up the cost a little beyond what I wanted to spend.

If the prices dont come down can anyone suggest a good alternative? preferably around the 1000 euro mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Was going to buy the Campag SL when I managed to get the money together. Seems to have only gone up by €200 or there about.
    Would it still be the best option at €1.6k?

CianRyan wrote: »
    Was going to buy the Campag SL when I managed to get the money together. Seems to have only gone up by €200 or there about.
    Would it still be the best option at €1.6k?

Anyone else care to suggest other bikes in the higher price bracket? An SL Pro specced with a few bits according to the website comes in at close to €1,500-1,600 which is a nice bump up from the price a few weeks back.

Not a fan of Canyons, they just don't really interest me.

• Advertisement

Plastik wrote: »
    Anyone else care to suggest other bikes in the higher price bracket? An SL Pro specced with a few bits according to the website comes in at close to €1,500-1,600 which is a nice bump up from the price a few weeks back.

Not a fan of Canyons, they just don't really interest me.

A-ha. Now the SL Pro with Rival (and a few bits I specced up - Model B wheels, different hoods etc) which was coming in at €1,53x can be gotten with Ultegra 6700 for the same price (inc. wheels etc.)

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPULT/sl-pro-carbon-shimano-ulterga

Sent them an email, turns out sram have increased their prices so they have been forced to increase the price of all their sram specced bikes......

Advertisement