Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are you worried about the Queens visit?

Options
  • 12-05-2011 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭

Hi all just wondering what you all think of the queens visit scheduled for next Tuesday the 17th of May. I was not giving it much thought but with the latest republican activity in recent weeks and given that this is the Queen of the occupiers i can see how she would of course be a prime military target. I have exams on that day in dublin and my mother has to go for a check up at the hospital as well as my brother working in town so i am a bit concerned. I personally think its an outrage that she is coming cause i dont see the point?

Is it supposed to make us feel better that 25% of our country belongs to an empire with so much blood on its hands that when its queen comes to pay us a visit we will should embrace it? It is about as ridiculous as the time when the orange order marched in dublin, and is Britain going to pay any of the massive bill to clean up after the riots? If there was trouble with the orange order marching its mere fantasy fueled by wishfull thinking based on imagination to think that there wont be similar trouble with the Queens visit.

My father is worried about it and worrys that there will be war between the parmilitary groups which im divided on whether that would be such a bad thing? We are still occupied so why is it not worth war? I know that sounds horrible but if it would have avoided World War 2 should we have let Hitler take Poland? Was it right for terrorist organisations like the french resistance to form? If Germany never gave back austria you would probaly see an austrian terrorist group even though anybody today nobody would argue that Austria does not have the right to complete independance so why is Ireland different?
    Why was it wrong for Germany to invade nearby countrys and right for the terrorist french resistance to fight against the occupying germans and yet today it is unreasonable for the IRA to continue to fight for Independance against a foreign occupation ? Isnt it confusing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

The only thing that worries me about the Queens visit is I'll never hear the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

lightspeed wrote: »
    Hi all just wondering what you all think of the queens visit scheduled for next Tuesday the 17th of May. I was not giving it much thought but with the latest republican activity in recent weeks and given that this is the Queen of the occupiers i can see how she would of course be a prime military target. I have exams on that day in dublin and my mother has to go for a check up at the hospital as well as my brother working in town so i am a bit concerned. I personally think its an outrage that she is coming cause i dont see the point?

Is it supposed to make us feel better that 25% of our country belongs to an empire with so much blood on its hands that when its queen comes to pay us a visit we will should embrace it? It is about as ridiculous as the time when the orange order marched in dublin, and is Britain going to pay any of the massive bill to clean up after the riots? If there was trouble with the orange order marching its mere fantasy fueled by wishfull thinking based on imagination to think that there wont be similar trouble with the Queens visit.

My father is worried about it and worrys that there will be war between the parmilitary groups which im divided on whether that would be such a bad thing? We are still occupied so why is it not worth war? I know that sounds horrible but if it would have avoided World War 2 should we have let Hitler take Poland? Was it right for terrorist organisations like the french resistance to form? If Germany never gave back austria you would probaly see an austrian terrorist group even though anybody today nobody would argue that Austria does not have the right to complete independance so why is Ireland different?
    Why was it wrong for Germany to invade nearby countrys and right for the terrorist french resistance to fight against the occupying germans and yet today it is unreasonable for the IRA to continue to fight for Independance against a foreign occupation ? Isnt it confusing
    This is the Irish Economy forum, we have enough economic woes of our own without taking on the Norths as well! Do you really want it back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭lightspeed

sorry thought i just posted it in politics

it is unreasonable for the IRA to continue to fight for Independance against a foreign occupation ? Isnt it confusing

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1576718/The-truth-about-Shergar-racehorse-kidnapping.html

First of all the Irish we an integral part of the empire and played a very active role in it particularly in the British army. Its rubbish to say the British have blood on their hands while somehow the Irish dont.

Secondly Kidnapping people and race horses, blowing up shopping centers and smearing **** in prison cells while starving yourself to death is not "fighting for independence". Its extremism at its worst.

Thirdly who gives a damn about borders these days? Its stone age stuff with globalisation, open borders, the internet and the Euro.

Finally because this is an economics forum I have to add that those up North are not going to have to pay for billions in banking loans while hoping that a brief visit from the neighbours head of state will boost tourism so we can get a bit of money. They are financially better off up North and nationalistic crap aside if you look at the cold hard figures and not flags or religion or the past then it is us down south who should want to be joining the UK.

The biggest setback for Irish unity is actually the banking guarantee!!! I actually dont believe its financially feasible until we sort our own southern affairs out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭lightspeed

i didnt say that the irish didnt have blood on their hands , we do indeed just like the french resistance when they fought against nazi occupation in France. The north of our country is extremely occupied so extreme measures are necessary although i do not ever agree with bombings and killing of civilians. Not only is it immoral and of course wrong it does not make any military sense and they IRA should be targeting politicans like michael collins did back in the day. i also find it shocking to think that even if the IRA did just target british forces many irish people would refer to them as terrorists and yet we have connly station and pearse street. How do irish people think we got 75% of our country back?
    It was not from asking for it nicely it was from all out horrific acts of murder because that was what was required. I dont see what has changed if we are still occupied?
    Last i checked economic growth was not very healthy in the uk and given our independant low corporation tax why would Britain be in a better position than the south of ireland?
    If jobs are being lost to the north is that not all the more reason its unfair on the southern government given that the republic has to worry about how it can adjust its budget without people driving to the north of ireland taking money out of our economy?
    There has been conflict between Ireland and the British for over 800 years. I think its a combination of overwelming ignorance and wishfull thinking to imagine there can be peace and the north still occupied by the british. I think the day will come when we live in the UNited States Of Europe but want the northern state to be joined with the southern state of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

im worried how long its gona take me to get in and out of work during the time shes here :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Can you tell me which occupation you are talking about? Last time I checked the majority supported that occupation in that part of the Island and do so via democratic means.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

I'm worried about idiots who think blowing up commuters and Gardai is a good way to make their point.

Whatever about the age old arguments, fact is there is broadly supported peace on this island - 71% up the North and 94% down here based on the Good Friday referendums - and frankly, we ought to stick to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭alan85

So much for a maturing of relations. It's going to be practically like the Green Zone in Baghdad anywhere she goes. Hardly mature...

I have to go into town on Wed to catch a bus and will have bags. If the Gardaí want to search me they may arrest me first... I will not be searched just because she is in town.

I think there will be trouble. I think the question needs to be asked; why was such a visit needed? What does it need to prove? I mean things have been going well in the North and between the two islands for the past 15 years. If anything the visit of the Queen has more potential to damage it all than any threat within either community. Has our President ever gotten a state invite to Britain? As far as I know we haven't. I'd have rathered a stalemate on the issue tbh... Funny it comes around the same time as sectarian hatred sparks up in Scottish football.

I really hope it goes without any serious incident because if it doesn't they (both governments) will have ruined our image abroad. Ireland stands to lose more than Britain here...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

alan85 wrote: »
    So much for a maturing of relations. It's going to be practically like the Green Zone in Baghdad anywhere she goes. Hardly mature...

I have to go into town on Wed to catch a bus and will have bags. If the Gardaí want to search me they may arrest me first...

I think there will be trouble. I think the question needs to be asked; why was such a visit needed? What does it need to prove? I mean things have been going well in the North and between the two islands for the past 15 years. If anything the visit of the Queen has more potential to damage it all than any threat within either community. Funny it comes around the same time as sectarian hatred sparks up in Scottish football.

I really hope it goes without any serious incident because if it does they (both governments) will have ruined our image abroad. Ireland stands to lose more than Britain here...
    Or a lot to gain. It's the actions of muppets that could do us damage when she visits, unlike the financial crises, which has nothing to do with 99% of us.

• Advertisement

I really hope it goes without any serious incident because if it does they (both governments) will have ruined our image abroad.

no it would be the fault of the troublemakers

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭pedro ferio-vti

Not going to get into a discussion with somebody who doesn't understand that the people of the North want to remain part of the UK, which has been made known by democratic means. They're probably better off anyway given the incumbency in Irish politics and the ridiculous amount of debt southern taxpayers are getting raped with.

To answer your question, yes I am worried that something will happen to the Queen by some group of backward scumbags. If it does, it will be a catastrophe for the Republic and will set back relations with the UK by 100 years and completely ruin a huge amount of work done by both sides of the border.

The last thing we need is a worse public image for Ireland given that all you hear about Ireland in International news will be mentioned somewhere with PIGS.........

no it would be the fault of the troublemakers
    No, it would definitely be 'they(governments)'. The reason being we know of the threats. Poor Ronan Kerr was only a few weeks back. These guys are willing to kill their own (probably even me if they thought needs be and I'm a Republican). If it were up to me she wouldn't be visiting.

Not going to get into a discussion with somebody who doesn't understand that the people of the North want to remain part of the UK, which has been made known by democratic means. They're probably better off anyway given the incumbency in Irish politics and the ridiculous amount of debt southern taxpayers are getting raped with.

To answer your question, yes I am worried that something will happen to the Queen by some group of backward scumbags. If it does, it will be a catastrophe for the Republic and will set back relations with the UK by 100 years and completely ruin a huge amount of work done by both sides of the border.

The last thing we need is a worse public image for Ireland given that all you hear about Ireland in International news will be mentioned somewhere with PIGS.........
    You mean 'some of the people of the North'. Ignorance correcting ignorance is just ignorant!

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭pedro ferio-vti

I can edit it if you want, or maybe you'd rather blindly argue on semantics so i'll leave it as is. Pretty obvious it wasn't a 100% either way referendum unless you've been living under a rock. Point remains, majority rules in democracies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

I can hear it now " You can keep your queen but please give Jedward 12 points " ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Ireland is going to be on the world stage for the next few weeks with both the US President and Queen's visit....I don't think we can afford to feic that up to be honest..

OP....yes, I am somewhat worried that the visits will be overshadowed by some idiots trying to make some sort of stupid "stand" against what not...."British bashing" or any other type of ethnic/racially/country specific motivated protest is just pathetic and ill-informed in the 21st century...
    ..and usually those protests or acts of violence etc have nothing to do with ethnicity at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

More worried about our chances in the Rugby World Cup tbh.

Oh hold on... 'Queen of the occupiers'.. oh I see where this is going...

So you're saying that this figurehead of a nearby neighbouring state is paying a diplomatic visit to us and you're hoping that a flying column dispatches her because that would aid our I mean our neighbouring state (i.e. Northern Ireland's) bid for independence (notwithstanding that it has its own parliament already)

'it is unreasonable for the IRA to continue to fight for Independance against a foreign occupation'

So if the IRA planted a bomb in Dublin to attempt to kill the queen and she was, indeed killed (along with a load of Irish civilians) that would remove the occupation? Yes, if by occupation you mean diplomatic visits by foreign countries.

If you are confused by the difference between World War 2 and the roles of figureheads in modern politics as state representatives on diplomatic missions, give me the heads up and I'll rattle off a couple of pages. Sheesh.
    ----
    Edit: Actually rereading your OP I think you might need a firmer foundation in broad concepts of history, politics and philosophy than I would be capable of giving.

No, it would definitely be 'they(governments)'. The reason being we know of the threats. Poor Ronan Kerr was only a few weeks back. These guys are willing to kill their own (probably even me if they thought needs be and I'm a Republican). If it were up to me she wouldn't be visiting.

so are we to be cowardly and everytime scum threaten us we put our lives on hold ? That empowers them

so are we to be cowardly and everytime scum threaten us we put our lives on hold ? That empowers them
    Or you could say: Are some things worth the bother? 'We' is a very broad term. You can't really sum up a nation by 'we'! That's a bit simplistic, not wanting to insult your intelligence...

That is why in my first post on this thread I asked the question: Why is this visit needed and what has it to prove in light of the 15 years of peace in the North and good relations between Ireland and Britain? Does it(or the troublemakers if you wish to say but I prefer to say the event because the risks are well known!) risk de-stabilising us here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

As a northern "republican" (truer sense) living in Dublin (not of the obese Derry dissident lunatic variety!), I hope that the visit of Queen Elizabeth passes off peacefully, as per any other head of state. This should be a no brainer to anyone who believes in a peaceful society in their own country.

That being said I would like to make a few points:

• Most people from the Republic (greater Dublin region anyway) are little more than West Brits these days anyway. They support English soccer teams and watch UK TV shows. They get excited when an Irish act gets 5 minutes of attention "across the water", and get pissed off when the cannot vote on UK gameshows. If you saw Premier Soccer Sunday a few weeks ago (Irish people referring to Stoke City as "we") you would understand. Look at the attention that Mary Byrne, Brian Dowling etc get just because they got the brief nod of approval from the English!
    • This is not the Queen's first visit to Ireland, she has been to the island many times before. Any true (32 county) republican would not be making a big deal about this visit compared to any others she has made.
    • Queen Elizabeth lost her "uncle" to an IRA man in 1979, she should have more trepidation about the visit than anyone else. She should be given some credit for coming over. My father met her in Belfast before, she is a pleasant woman (I believe the husband is a bit of a prick though). We have had worse heads of state visit Dublin us in the past
    • England does not occupy the North of Ireland, they would be gone in a flash if they could exit peacefully. Even Margaret Thatcher looked into the option! Go down to Kent and ask an Englishman what he thinks of having to pay for NI and you'll get your answer
    • Talk of 800 years of oppresion is also nonsense. The Republic in general gave up on nationalism in the 1920's. Talk of a United Ireland was again barstoolerism, great in theory but not worth putting down the pint for. Sometimes northern nationalists get annoyed about being abandoned by the "26" into the northern state. I reminded them that since the people of the ROI couldn't even protect thousands of their own children from being systematically raped by the Catholic church, they were hardly going to look out for the interests of those across the border
    • This idea about maturing as a nation is also pure BS. At least the Republic votes for its own head of state, unlike GB (although their choice should be respected, the British royal family are hardly despots like say Saudi Arabia). Self-loathing Sindo journalism at its worst
    I hope she enjoyed her time in Dublin, Cork & Tipperary. Ireland is a great country for tourism.
    I hope she is made welcome, and I am sure she will be.

Its been a long time since England was the main cause for our problems (north & south). Our problems lie with the cartel of corrupt ("Republican!") politicians, bankers and other assorted Dublin 4 parasites who feeds off the decent people of this country like parasites. Our enemies lie within, and are homegrown.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

Well said Nordydan, as for me, I couldn't give two fiddlers whether the Queen visits or not. My only problem is that I now live near Dublin City Centre and am slightly concerned about all the chaos of road closures and random stop+searches etc. Other than that, couldn't care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Tbh the only thing I'm worried about is the hassle and disruption that the visit will cause. I'm having a few guests visit from abroad next week and I'm slightly peeved that some of the places I was going to bring them will be closed due to the visit.

Oh and the bloody helicopters have been cutting into my sleep.

That's all I'm really worried about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

I'm worried about the increase in authoritarianism around the place

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I reckon that a few people will die as a result of this visit. It'll be mayhem.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Daegerty wrote: »
    I'm worried about the increase in authoritarianism around the place

^
    The only thing I'm worried about is all these "stop and search" things coming into place. Otherwise, I don't care...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭GSF

From reading boards I'm begining to wonder what posters carry around with them that they are so afraid to let anyone see?

And have they ever been to an airport - apparently I've heard rumours that they even open your bags there :eek: whatever next??

GSF wrote: »
    From reading boards I'm begining to wonder what posters carry around with them that they are so afraid to let anyone see?

And have they ever been to an airport - apparently I've heard rumours that they even open your bags there :eek: whatever next??
    I think that's unfair. Next week I have a bus to catch in town and will have bags. It's not for my safety that I may be searched. If they do want to search me they may arrest me. It's an infringement of my freedom in my home country given the frivolous nature of the visit. I don't see the point in it tbh. Somebody tell me why it's so important that she visits! My most lethal weapon will be some clothes and a towel btw...

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

A little worried she might cause a herd of zombies to rise up & eat the head off us:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Predator_

KeithAFC wrote: »

Can you tell me which occupation you are talking about? Last time I checked the majority supported that occupation in that part of the Island and do so via democratic means.

The majority from an artificially created section of Ireland. The real vote should talk place for the whole Island of Ireland, then we would see what the people of Ireland really think. Not just a pre-defined area largely populated by foreign invaders.

Advertisement