Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are you worried about the Queens visit?

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Happyman42 wrote: »
    The Dalai Lama has no 'unfinished business' with this country, the Dalai Lama does not to my knowledge with hold information about the deaths of 33 people on the streets of Monaghan and Dublin.
    Oh lord give me strength..

The Ulster Volunteer Force did it. The Queen doesn't have a clue who did it (the names of the people).

She honouring the volunteers now. Great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

Very respectful. I hear even the train drivers are giving the Queen a horn!!!

Fergal Keane spot on about the true British presence on the island and why the Brits out slogan was always wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Apologies, something went pearshaped with my post, see proper post below. V V

• Advertisement

RIP to all Irish and British volunteers. I thought that was really well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

It's quite obvious your essential point is not that this is no ordinary person. Your central point hinges in the fact that she is British and the fact you misunderstand her role in politics and her position as your anti-monarchist sentiment blinds you to the fact that the crown remains in British life at the will of the people.

My central point is that she is here as no ordinary 80 odd yr old woman, she is here as the sovereign head of the British government, eg Queen Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God Queen of this Realm and of Her other Realms and Territories, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith.
    There is a document circulated that requires certain etiquette be observed by anybody meeting her, all of it underlines 'how she expects to be deferred to'. You are not allowed to touch her above the knuckle...wtf???
    The British Gov (not some group or organisation THE BRITISH GOVERNMENT) withhold vital information about 33 deaths on our streets.That is important to many people, including those directly affected.
    You are on another thread shouting for SF to release info, why is it different here?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Was nice to see her lay the wreath yesterday, maybe it's just a hollow gesture, but still nice to see her showing respect to the heroes who fought for our freedom.
    As I've said, even though I'm against the visit on principle, now that it's here, I hope it will help start the process of bringing all this bad blood to an end. Hopefully this will be the start of a more open relationship. I hope I see the day when the British government release any (if any) information they have about Dublin-Monaghan, SF release information about those missing, IRA, UVF and other paramilitaries show where the bodies are buried....
    A naive ideal outcome from the visit I know, but hopefully in my lifetime we'll see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Yesterday QEII honoured those who fought on our behalf, today she remembers those who fought on her behalf. Very balanced.

As for the Dublin bombings, every UK PM has been in Dublin and they are the people with the actual control over dirty deeds.

Advertisement