Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are you worried about the Queens visit?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Worried a little as the fallout even from a failed attempt at her by some nutbags or even some riot like protests would be far worse than the positives from on all rosy successful visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Predator_

Hopefully there will be loud and noisy protests that involve many Irish patriots. While the fake Irish wave their Union Jacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Hendrixfan wrote: »
    The whole lot should be called off, truth is she aint welcome, .

Wrong. She ain't welcome by you. Just because you say it's the truth, does not mean it is in fact, the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Predator_ wrote: »
    Hopefully there will be loud and noisy protests that involve many Irish patriots. While the fake Irish wave their Union Jacks.

Will you jump up and down and stamp your feet if they don't?

On the same topic, there's a woman on my FB page - she's my sis-in-laws sister. A very 'normal' woman, with two young children, works in the local supermarket etc. And she has been harping on about this visit for weeks now. I'm very embarrassed by her most recent antics - all of last week, she was posting various 'Rebel Songs' and 'sharing' a poster of the queen with a large red X through her face. I've 'hidden' her on my own page....
    However, I have yet to speak to one person who is against this visit. Most are 'Meh' and are more concerned about how it will restrict their daily commute to work than anything else. And others are very supportive of the visit (while not neccesarily being fans of the queen/monarchy themselves) and feel it can only be a good thing, which is my own view.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I believe that there is talk of the Queen meeting some UDA leaders. This is an intersting developement if it happens.

The British will be acknowledging that they had their terrorists and their adversaries had theirs. It shows a maturity on the behalf of the British that they are now willing to acknowledge their own use of terrorism to influence the political situation.

An admission of complicity by the British establishment in the Monaghan/Dublin bombings would also be welcome at this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Bens

Sure shes a lovely woman. I have no problem with her visiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Captain Pillowcase

She should not be coming now, bit stupid to extend the invitation now when lets face it, we are up the sh1tter and can't afford the visit from her and Obama the E30 million would have been better spent in many areas like the medical system, education etc. They should have invited her before now if they were that keen to get a visit but I don't wish her any harm though,(just thought I would highlight this as I bear no ill will) I hope she has a lovely time and has a bit of craic.
    More peeved about the closures on the N4, N7 and M50 and the searches and disruption. Lots of people annoyed about the closure of the Zoo!
    Living in Dublin and trying to work with be a nightmare.
    Oh and Edna on Sky News........hmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Is she really that dangerous. Maybe i should pull the blinds and remain indoors for those four days. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Captain Pillowcase

Now you are going to board up the windows first yeah? The blinds wont be able to keep out the danger alone! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Predator_ wrote: »

Will it be enough if they are loud but not noisy? :pac:

Protest (peacefully) all you want. You're yesterday's men and in a tiny minority. Even Adams it adopting a more sensible attitude now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    1. She was invited by the Irish president.
    2. She's wanted to come for years but the invitation was never given. That's why she wants to come now, according to a statement given to the indo she's afraid in a few years time she'll be to frail to visit.
    3. We know the dangers, that's why there's so much security in Dublin at the moment.
    4. Being able to survive without doing something is not a reason not to do it. We could survive without staging the eurovision but I have just spent an enjoyable few hours watching it from begining to end.

... which is your opinion (to which you are perfectly entitled) - as I am to mine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Now you are going to board up the windows first yeah? The blinds wont be able to keep out the danger alone! :D

Bloody hell she's a ninja.

She should not be coming now, bit stupid to extend the invitation now when lets face it, we are up the sh1tter and can't afford the visit from her and Obama the E30 million would have been better spent in many areas

http://goireland.about.com/od/preparingyourtrip/qt/statistics.htm
    Who Visits Ireland?
    Tourism Statistics

Largest national groups are

Great Britain with nearly 1,600,000 visitors,
    the USA with around 870,000 guests,
    Germany providing nearly 300,000 tourist,
    France accounting for a slightly lower number and
    nearly 190,000 Italians.

We are getting a bargain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Hendrixfan

pjmn wrote: »
    Haven't read this whole thread, but a few quick questions/observations...

1. Did someone invite her, or did she just fancy a trip across the water?
    2. She's almost 60 years on the throne and never botherered her arse to come here before, so why now?
    3. I wish her no harm - but I think she's creating an event where there is a strong possibility that someone will try to have a pop at her...
    4. We've survived this long without her calling to visit - I could easily survive without her calling - think she should stay at home....

The invite came from Mary McAleese, the Queen is one of Marys heros. Mary is a Fianna Failer, Fianna Failers havent made a good decision is years and we all know that, this one will be no different (dont forget, we are not invited to this 30 million euro + party even though we are paying for it).

Mary is on her last legs of office so the timing of this makes sense, Mary can swan off and not be held accountable for her risk taking.

I cant see anyone taking a pop at the queen over the 4 days, I can see this event kick starting some troubles again over the next few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

What's that got to do with anything? They were coming before the royal visit was even conceived. They will probably still be coming in similar numbers, unless something very bad happens, which most likely will not be the case beyond some skirmishes. The idea that this is going to be a major boost to tourism is a poorly constructed idea.

Fittle wrote: »
    Wrong. She ain't welcome by you. Just because you say it's the truth, does not mean it is in fact, the truth.

I've no probs with the queen, just now is not the time. Here is a fact, the entire Gardai force of over 14,000 is to a lesser or greater extent involved in security for the Queens visit, including Obama's visit. We have many visits from other heads of state, they dont require the entire Gardai force for use as security, so some fuss over the Queen who we are led to believe is welcome.

If you still think she's welcome wait until you see the level of complaints roll in after the Queens gone, from business owners who lost revenue, members of the public who's had to suffer due to lack of Gardai resources, people / children whos hospital appointments had been cancelled (already rolling in), people who cant make it to work, people who cant drive their cars, people who cant walk on the street, the list will be endless and the welcome tune wont be long changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

ZuZuPuff wrote: »
    I completely agree, she's disrupting/endangering the lives of so many people and costing a fortune. I've noticed if you show any sign of opposition against the visit (online anyway) people act like you're a scumbag IRA head.
    In fairness, much of the opposition to this visit is coming from republican types. And the Anglophobic basis of their opposition is not far below the surface.
    ZuZuPuff wrote: »
    From every logical standpoint this visit is a bad idea and as you say, they'll realize it afterwards.
    Can you explain the logic to me whereby we cordially have extensive cultural, economic and even political interaction with our nearest neighbours but we have a chip on their shoulder about a visit by their head of state? Happy to indulge in their culture, trade with them and have perfectly good diplomatic relations with them and entertain their political leaders all the time. But their head of state ain’t welcome. Whatever arguments you make against the vist, logic certainly is not one of them.

Most of us who support the visit are not so much pro-visit. We simply recognise how absolutely daft an effective prohibition on such a visit is. Anyway, if not now, when?

I wonder how much of the foreign press will pick up on the irony of a powerless figure drawing all the ire from the protesters but the British PM, who does have power, going completely unmolested.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

lightspeed wrote: »
    Yes but look at occupation in other places in the world like The west bank and the Gaza Strip between palestine and Israel and im sure you will hear of support for the struggle of the palestinian people and they will refer to the occupied territories of the west bank and control of the Gaza strip.
    Why is the north of ireland different just the media is bias towards british news and media? Why is the north not seen as occupied?
    Im 24 years old and was not able to vote on the good friday agreement as i understand it gave the republic the chance to vote whether or not we should have claim to the north. We have had to referendums on abortion if im not mistaken and two referendums on the lisbon treaty and yet there has never been another referendum like the Good Friday Agreement?
    I would never agree with violence towards civilians or bombs of any kind that endanger innocent lives but i dont think i can ever accept to have any of my island country to be ruled by a foreign empire. I just cant and there will always be people like me and people using violence as a means to achieve a united Ireland under one government and i believe this visit is going to remind everyone of that fact. My great grandchildrens generation will still feel their country is occupied and violence is nessecery so the good friday agreement was nothing more than a piece of paper which i assume was signed on a Friday. Im certainly not a member of the Ira or know of anyone that is but its ridiculous to not see how they will never truly be defeated. I also think that when those that chose to give up their arms and attempt to achieve a united Ireland through political means fail to do so they will just revert back to an armed campaign and the conflict will continue. The Good Friday Agreement was not a treaty but a ceasefire meaning on that day both sides agreed to an intermisson. That intermission will some day end and the conflict will resume and that may be on Tuesday if this imperial visit does not run smoothly.

And Munster is also occupied.

Occupied by the imperialistic power of the IRISH!

The fact that the majority of the people of Munster are quite happy with this arrangement is quite irrelevant. The rebel country was ruthlessly invaded and taken by the forces of Micheal Collins. No, it is clear that Mary McAlease should be opposed if she attempts to visit somewhere like the UK on these grounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

The invite came from Mary McAleese, the Queen is one of Marys heros. Mary is a Fianna Failer, Fianna Failers havent made a good decision is years and we all know that, this one will be no different (dont forget, we are not invited to this 30 million euro + party even though we are paying for it).

Mary is on her last legs of office so the timing of this makes sense, Mary can swan off and not be held accountable for her risk taking.

I cant see anyone taking a pop at the queen over the 4 days, I can see this event kick starting some troubles again over the next few years.

The invite came from the President on behalf of the Irish Government. Mary cannot proverbially sneeze without government approval. In this instance the invite was arranged and there were a lot of background discussions between both governments about when the formal invite would be sent. Mary just didn't pop a letter in the post and hope the queen would say yes.

The programme of the trip was created by both sides, not just Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

pjmn wrote: »
    ... which is your opinion (to which you are perfectly entitled) - as I am to mine...
    Which part don't you agree on the eurovision? Or about doing things for the sheer enjoyment?

lugha wrote: »
    Can you explain the logic to me whereby we cordially have extensive cultural, economic and even political interaction with our nearest neighbours but we have a chip on their shoulder about a visit by their head of state? Happy to indulge in their culture, trade with them and have perfectly good diplomatic relations with them and entertain their political leaders all the time. But their head of state ain’t welcome. Whatever arguments you make against the vist, logic certainly is not one of them.

Most of us who support the visit are not so much pro-visit. We simply recognise how absolutely daft an effective prohibition on such a visit is. Anyway, if not now, when?

I wonder how much of the foreign press will pick up on the irony of a powerless figure drawing all the ire from the protesters but the British PM, who does have power, going completely unmolested.

I'd like thank you for this. I have been trying to articulate a response like this but for the life of me, couldn't get the words. Excellent and exactly how I am feeling about this visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

lugha wrote: »

Brilliant post. Gordon Brown and Tony Blair have visited this country in the recent past with minimal fuss. IIRC correctly, there was some pushing and shoving at Tony Blair's book signing but nothing serious and that related to his part in the war on Iraq.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

So we have Dublin citizens banished from their own streets, the Queen laying a wreath at the Garden of Remembrance, Armed British Police officers guarding her on our streets, the UDA "brigadiers" and friends making a State Visit, Republican groups planning protests, Willie Frazer and his merry band of bigots coming down from the North in "bus loads" and threatening violence if they don't meet the Queen, the date, the British Prime Minister.....etc etc

What could possibly go wrong!?

darkman2 wrote: »
    So we have Dublin citizens banished from their own streets, the Queen laying a wreath at the Garden of Remembrance, Armed British Police officers guarding her on our streets, the UDA "brigadiers" and friends making a State Visit, Republican groups planning protests, Willie Frazer and his merry band of bigots coming down from the North in "bus loads" and threatening violence if they don't meet the Queen, the date, the British Prime Minister.....etc etc

What could possibly go wrong!?

'our streets'......'Dublin citizens banished from their own streets'......

I don't know about you, but I am FAR from banished from my own street. I work on the quays, and my public transport will still bring me to my job (I'll have to walk an extra 5 mins). This is all propaganda. Grow up.

Even the use of the word banished is hyperbolic. She hasn't exactly banished all the fair maids from the kingdom, has she?

People are getting all hot and bothered about this for all of the wrong reasons. Both the supporters and the detractors are, generally, engaged in a tug of war over the symbolism of the event. One side say 'isn't it symbolically wonderful!', the other 'isn't it symbolically dreadful!'. Nobody seems to wonder if it makes any logical sense!

With one Queen and something of an oversupply of mad hatters, I feel like I'm in an Lewis Carroll story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

later10 wrote: »
    Even the use of the word banished is hyperbolic. She hasn't exactly banished all the fair maids from the kingdom, has she?

People are getting all hot and bothered about this for all of the wrong reasons. Both the supporters and the detractors are, generally, engaged in a tug of war over the symbolism of the event. One side say 'isn't it symbolically wonderful!', the other 'isn't it symbolically dreadful!'. Nobody seems to wonder if it makes any logical sense!

With one Queen and something of an oversupply of mad hatters, I feel like I'm in an Lewis Carroll story.

Funny you should mention that. I think something like this is in store

It would be mildly funny if this whole episode turned out to be a very elaborate way of luring the British monarch into a secret beheading. Whatever about €30m, I would indeed pay good money to see Mary McAleese turn around in the garden of remembrance and shout ''off with her head!'' just to see the look on Mr's Windsor's confused, and well meaning little face. But I digress.

Fittle wrote: »
    'our streets'......'Dublin citizens banished from their own streets'......

I don't know about you, but I am FAR from banished from my own street. I work on the quays, and my public transport will still bring me to my job (I'll have to walk an extra 5 mins). This is all propaganda. Grow up.

Looks banished to me, a picture from Reuters http://www.daylife.com/photo/06rhc1M3EH4MF?__site=daylife&q=Ireland Great start, Dublin looks real welcoming for all these new tourists about to flock over. Dont forget to bring your passport to get to work.

• Advertisement

Looks banished to me, a picture from Reuters http://www.daylife.com/photo/06rhc1M3EH4MF?__site=daylife&q=Ireland
    You will be aware that is the policing of a nationalist demonstration? Looks like a regular police presence for any demonstration in central Dublin.

Advertisement