Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are you worried about the Queens visit?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

alan85 wrote: »
    I think that's incredibly snotty and snobbish of you. Just because you think they look some way does not mean they are the way you think they are. How do you know he doesn't read up on Republican ideals and Trade Union history? Maybe he thinks the whole visit is a hypocriscy as I would myself given the amounts being forked out to create an image and project a false reality (€30m will get you that)?! You my friend have shown yourself to be more small minded than him from my vantage point. Did you talk to them? #smallmindism

My issue would be that the kid holding the sign was not alive during the Troubles, and looks barely old enough to have got as far as learning about Irish political history. What the hell would he know about the IRA other than what he's been fed by older people? And that's contributing to what's continuing the trouble in the North right now - young lads, who have no first hand knowledge of what went on being told they are "soldiers" by older people who should know better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

dan_d wrote: »
    My issue would be that the kid holding the sign was not alive during the Troubles, and looks barely old enough to have got as far as learning about Irish political history. What the hell would he know about the IRA other than what he's been fed by older people? And that's contributing to what's continuing the trouble in the North right now - young lads, who have no first hand knowledge of what went on being told they are "soldiers" by older people who should know better.

won't somebody please think of the kids:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭alan85

But, even if unaffected by the 'troubles' you can still think it fair ambition to aim for a United Ireland. Any child usually accompanies his father. I did mine on many occassions. That's normal. At least, it probably, shows his father wasn't there to be violent as most fathers wouldn't be violent around their children. He's showing his child that you can protest and that's O.K. May teach the inertial middle class of this country a thing or two given their inaction over the financial crisis (myself being guilty of that)...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just watching Sky News there and was disappointed to see some Eirigi clown being given the oxygen of publicity. The problem, with Sky News in particular, is that they're desperate for something to kick-off and even the smalled incident is going to be magnified 100 times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Just watching Sky News there and was disappointed to see some Eirigi clown being given the oxygen of publicity. The problem, with Sky News in particular, is that they're desperate for something to kick-off and even the smalled incident is going to be magnified 100 times.

The Nicky Cambell show on BBC radio 5 had a similar clown on, from a political party I had never heard of.... peoples front of Judea.... Judean peoples front.,... they are all the same & represent no one.

Fair play to the BBC for finding these dinosaurs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭POINTBREAK

lightspeed wrote: »
    The north of our country is extremely occupied
    -
    Yes we are "extremely occupied"............. by Santa Claus.
    Our own government, free healthcare and £8 billion a year subsidy. Stop trying to liberate us into poverty please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Alvin T. Grey

Predator_ wrote: »
    The majority from an artificially created section of Ireland. The real vote should talk place for the whole Island of Ireland, then we would see what the people of Ireland really think. Not just a pre-defined area largely populated by foreign invaders.

I remember voting in that amendment in Dublin.

Where were you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

I doubt this bomb on a bus.seems like perfect propaganda to finish off republicans once and for all.

According to the news there was a bomb found on a bus. I see a young Dublin school was at the airport to present the queen with a bunch of flowers, does that mean her and her family will now targeted as collaborators

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

junder wrote: »
    According to the news there was a bomb found on a bus. I see a young Dublin school was at the airport to present the queen with a bunch of flowers, does that mean her and her family will now targeted as collaborators

Just shows the whole crazyness of those who want to try something.
    A bomb on a bus ffs, they wouldn't mind blowing up their own it seems just to get a pop at the Queen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

But, even if unaffected by the 'troubles' you can still think it fair ambition to aim for a United Ireland. Any child usually accompanies his father. I did mine on many occassions. That's normal. At least, it probably, shows his father wasn't there to be violent as most fathers wouldn't be violent around their children. He's showing his child that you can protest and that's O.K. May teach the inertial middle class of this country a thing or two given their inaction over the financial crisis (myself being guilty of that)...

Absolutely no problem with aiming for a united Ireland.
    How exactly does the Queen's visit impact on that aim?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

The problem is not people protesting the visit, they're perfectly entitled to protest as long as they do it peacefully, regardless of the image it may portray of the country.
    The only problems come is when the dissident scum come around and try and cause trouble, they obviously have no true belief in their own cause. Let's just hope the worst we have to deal with during this visit are threats and a few upturned noses from the Sky News people when they see protests.

Absolutely no problem with aiming for a united Ireland.
    How exactly does the Queen's visit impact on that aim?
    That her government release their control on it.

There's nothing wrong with protraying a point of view either. He may just like to temper the horse muck that comes out of Mary Kenny and Noel Cunningham's mouths on T.V. Well, actually, no, not all Irish want it. And that's O.K. for me... He's doing nothing wrong there. Some person took a photo and thought it would be great to be able to get the high ground on somebody wearing a tracksuit and riding a bike with his son on the back. Well, I wouldn't wear the same clothes and I don't have a son but I would have sympathy with his ideals. The root of that photo and comment was just pure snob.

Show me a picture of somebody leaving a viable package on public transport and then you may leave derogatory comments as you please. But somebody exercising their right to protest does not equate them to scum. Quite the opposite!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

...........and finally a Celtic jersey makes an appearance, wondering when it would! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭LaBaguette

32CSM and friends just burned the Union Jack in Dorset street, protest of about 50-150.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

LaBaguette wrote: »
    32CSM and friends just burned the Union Jack in Dorset street, protest of about 50-150.

That's mature. I wish the irish people would counter protest and show that this minority of thugs don't represent us and have little to no support. Groups of working welfare class corner boys who blame Britain for the pathetic mess they made of their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

LaBaguette wrote: »
    Why do these people get all the coverage. They don't represent me and they CERTAINLY do not represent the memory of my Grand-dad who fought in the War of Independence. My blood is just boiling watching these scumbeans in Celtic Jerseys bawling on the streets of dublin :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

That her government release their control on it
    The people on this island have already voted on what they want to be done with it.
    Any deluded wish to overturn that is fascism, a popular way of thinking amongst the deluded self-perceived class warriors who are referred to as 'dissidents'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

That her government release their control on it.

There's nothing wrong with protraying a point of view either. He may just like to temper the horse muck that comes out of Mary Kenny and Noel Cunningham's mouths on T.V. Well, actually, no, not all Irish want it. And that's O.K. for me... He's doing nothing wrong there. Some person took a photo and thought it would be great to be able to get the high ground on somebody wearing a tracksuit and riding a bike with his son on the back. Well, I wouldn't wear the same clothes and I don't have a son but I would have sympathy with his ideals. The root of that photo and comment was just pure snob.

Show me a picture of somebody leaving a viable package on public transport and then you may leave derogatory comments as you please. But somebody exercising their right to protest does not equate them to scum. Quite the opposite!
    Some people don't want a United Ireland. Perhaps you should think about that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭I would ride myself cos im a sexy man

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Some people don't want a United Ireland. Perhaps you should think about that.
    You're a broken record.

You illegally partitioned the island, and now you hypocritically oppose a United Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I'm delighted that a successful protest is being held on the streets. For the past few weeks the Guards have been busy removing posters, attempting to confiscate leaflets and other material as well as harrassing those opposed to this visit. In a context where €30m of the peoples' money is being spent on inviting the Commander in Chief of the British Army as well as Loyalist paramilitaries to Dublin it's refreshing to see that people are prepared to take a stand against it.

Hopefully the protests will remain peaceful and the cops don't revert to form and start attacking people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

You're a broken record.

You illegally partitioned the island, and now you hypocritically oppose a United Ireland.
    Why can't these people accept the political and democratic set up as it is at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭positron

IMHO, protesters should be given 10 or 30 mins of protesting time and then removed in into the back of an articulate truck and dropped off at least 2 hours away in the middle of nowhere, and should be asked to walk back reporting to every single garda station on the way. :)

JustinDee wrote: »
    The people on this island have already voted on what they want to be done with it.
    Any deluded wish to overturn that is fascism, a popular way of thinking amongst the deluded self-perceived class warriors who are referred to as 'dissidents'.
    People voted for peace and a process. That's great. I'm behind the GFA. What I'm saying is that people have the right to protest and continue to pressure for a United Ireland. People still want that North and South, me included. Am I bothered about how or when it happens? No. But a United Ireland and Republic/Meritocracy is what I'm for.

FTA69 wrote: »
    Hopefully the protests will remain peaceful and the cops don't revert to form and start attacking people.
    Always the "cops" is it?
    These numpties lost in the referendum (if they were even of voting age at that time and if they even bothered).

Thats the thing about 'Freedom' which they are shouting on the streets about. Its already been exercised.

Always the "cops" is it?

It often is unfortunately. And considering they've been in full form out harassing people for the past month I wouldn't be surprised if they reacted again.
    These numpties lost in the referendum (if they were even of voting age at that time and if they even bothered).

What referendum was this? The referendum on whether people have the right to protest the head of the British Army and Loyalist paramilitaries coming to Dublin on an official visit? I don't recall such a referendum being held at all.

It often is unfortunately. And considering they've been in full form out harassing people for the past month I wouldn't be surprised if they reacted again
    So the answer is 'no' then.
    What referendum was this?
    An all-too-common problem with supporters of the deluded out there, conveniently forgetting when and how the people on this island chose how they wanted its future to be shaped.
    The referendum on whether people have the right to protest the head of the British Army and Loyalist paramilitaries coming to Dublin on an official visit? I don't recall such a referendum being held at all.
    Sanctimonium ad nauseum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Who is paying for the 11 D car/landrover that the queen is been driven around in. Was it bought especially for her visit.

So the answer is 'no' then.

Eh, I was plain enough like. The police have been engaging in systematic harrasment of anyone who came out in opposition of this visit including arriving at public meetings, stop and searches, following people around who were distributing leaflets and attempting to confiscate such articles as leaflets and posters. They made it perfectly clear they will be coming down hard on any protestors and have form for brutality at protests in the past.
    An all-too-common problem with supporters of the deluded out there, conveniently forgetting when and how the people on this island chose how they wanted its future to be shaped.

Whether you like it or not people have the right to protest against this absolute nonsense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭I would ride myself cos im a sexy man

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Who is paying for the 11 D car/landrover that the queen is been driven around in. Was it bought especially for her visit.
    We are paying for it.

Its all a farce. And doing nothing for normal people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

We are paying for it.

Its all a farce. And doing nothing for normal people.
    Sure who cares about the ordinary people when you have monarchs to arselick?

Advertisement