Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are you worried about the Queens visit?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

We are paying for it.

Its all a farce. And doing nothing for normal people.

I dont think we should.

While the Queen should be welcomed to Ireland, I dont think it should come at the cost it is to a country that is broke. In Yesterday's examiner, there was a photo and i think it was 15 or 16 gardai that i counted standing in a sealed off street. What a waste of resources. Today i heard that there is about 100 gardai from the Waterford and Kilkenny division deployed to Dublin for the visit. God forbid, is something was to happen in this division is there enough gardai to deal with any task. We are hearing all along that this and every other division i am sure, (i taking it that there is similar if not more gardai deployed to dublin from other divisions) are under staffed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

FTA69 wrote: »
    Eh, I was plain enough like
    You insinuated that trouble only comes via police harrassment. It most certainly does not. Try using both eyes, fella.
    The police have been engaging in systematic harrasment of anyone who came out in opposition of this visit including arriving at public meetings, stop and searches, following people around who were distributing leaflets and attempting to confiscate such articles as leaflets and posters. They made it perfectly clear they will be coming down hard on any protestors and have form for brutality at protests in the past.

Whether you like it or not people have the right to protest against this absolute nonsense.
    They're not protesting the visit unless the placards are just decorations they found. They're protesting the delusion of an occupation that against the people's will. Yes, they are that stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

JustinDee wrote: »
    You insinuated that trouble only comes via police harrassment. It most certainly does not. Try using both eyes, fella.

It often does though.
    They're not protesting the visit unless the placards are just decorations they found. They're protesting the delusion of an occupation that against the people's will. Yes, they are that stupid.

What's your point caller? The fact is that a part of Ireland remains under British rule despite the majority of Irish people professing a wish for unity, people have a right to demonstrate to that effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

JustinDee wrote: »

It often does though.

What's your point caller? The fact is that a part of Ireland remains under British rule despite the majority of Irish people professing a wish for unity, people have a right to demonstrate to that effect.
    Does not matter. Only matters what the people of Northern Ireland think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

It often does though
    Yes, poor drunken lardy in trackies or hoodie never does anything. Just the po-lice.
    Demonstrate against the democratic wishes of the majority? As I said, not very bright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

Have you been in a coma since 1997?

In the Good Friday Agreement, we voted for Northern Ireland to remain part of the UK for as long as the majority there want to stay in the UK.

It's not Mrs Windsor or Mr Cameron who can decide this issue, so there is no point in demonstrating against them to call for Irish unity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Its a sad indictment of this country, that a small violent minority have stopped the majority of the country from going about their business while the Queen visits..

Just watching on TV and the city center has been cleared out.. Sad...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

The fact is that a part of Ireland remains under British rule despite the majority of Irish people professing a wish for unity, people have a right to demonstrate to that effect.

It is up to the majority of Northern Irish people to decide the future of Nothern Ireland through a democratic process. Thats the GFA. If the majority who live there, have family there, have roots there, have history and home there decide to vote for a united Ireland then we'll get a united Ireland.

Is it the Irish who vote on their membership of Europe and the acceptance of treaties or is it just a majority of Europeans that decide our future direction in the European project?

Welease wrote: »
    Its a sad indictment of this country, that a small violent minority have stopped the majority of the country from going about their business while the Queen visits..

Just watching on TV and the city center has been cleared out.. Sad...
    The people in the protest are odd. I would like the Ullish people to be free from the Irish republic but i respect their is people who want to be in that state. That is their right. Same with people in Northern Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭I would ride myself cos im a sexy man

Protests getting fairly violent now, there was flashes on Sky news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

keith, you havent joined us on AH?

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Banned for a month lol. Not that it matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭investment

Wolfe Tone wrote: »

I've been banned for A.H for my freedom of speech, so i'll post here now

Protests getting fairly violent now, there was flashes on Sky news
    Oh ffs.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Banned for a month lol. Not that it matters.
    ah that sucks

Is it really bad? I suppose AH would be easy to get updates on it but it surely ain't that bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭investment

No it has exploded, we all running now for police

Is it really bad? I suppose AH would be easy to get updates on it but it surely ain't that bad?
    No its not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

No its not.

It is all terrible stuff. Almost like Temple Bar on a Saturday night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

positron wrote: »
    IMHO, protesters should be given 10 or 30 mins of protesting time and then removed in into the back of an articulate truck and dropped off at least 2 hours away in the middle of nowhere, and should be asked to walk back reporting to every single garda station on the way. :)

I'm sorry, but have you ever heard of Bunreacht na hEireann? Article 40.4.1? "No citizen shall be deprived of his personal liberty save in accordance with law."

Or Article 40.6.1.ii? "The right of the citizens to assemble peaceably and without arms."

If and only if protesters cause trouble, they should be thrown in the back of Garda van and hauled to the nearest station and charged. Just because you don't agree with their views doesn't mean you can just round them all up and throw them in the back of a truck.

article-1387878-0C1D311000000578-842_634x379.jpg

Whats up with that?

Keith, its a protest against the visit and Britain's continued claim on the island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Some ****ers burned the British Flag...Pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

C77B5E2CBD564245BEDBB545AB8B431A-0000316428-0002323557-00800L-369E8288666B4E83A77EB5786FC29123.jpg

Same guy, my photos here...
    http://pix.ie/punkrock/album/410291

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

Whats up with that?

'Brits out of ireland' while wearing a British football top, irony anybody?

And that is why there will be no United Ireland. Just look at them. Pure hatred.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

I, like many people on this island, would be happy for a united Ireland. People have every right to make a peaceful protest, but it's important to know what you're protesting about.
    The crowd that éirígí attract are slightly clueless. They, like me, want a united Ireland. As we all know, there will never be a united Ireland without the consent of the majority of the 6 counties, the majority of which (going by the last census and various polls) are unionist/protestant.
    Burning union flags will only do their cause more damage than good. Alienating and disrespecting the beliefs of unionists will only push them further away from even considering joining a 32 county republic.
    I am opposed to the visit of a non-elected head of state and most monarchies, but todays antics have made me ashamed to be a republican.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I, like many people on this island, would be happy for a united Ireland. People have every right to make a peaceful protest, but it's important to know what you're protesting about.
    The crowd that éirígí attract are slightly clueless. They, like me, want a united Ireland. As we all know, there will never be a united Ireland without the consent of the majority of the 6 counties, the majority of which (going by the last census and various polls) are unionist/protestant.
    Burning union flags will only do their cause more damage than good. Alienating and disrespecting the beliefs of unionists will only push them further away from even considering joining a 32 county republic.
    I am opposed to the visit of a non-elected head of state and most monarchies, but todays antics have made me ashamed to be a republican.

Amen to that. It's fairly obvious to any reasonable Republican that the peace process has done more to bring us closer to a United Ireland than these idiots ever could. While I know it's highly unlikely I will see a United Ireland in my lifetime, I'm afraid that it's the minority of people like this that wil set the cause back years by doing stupid things like burning the British flag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭LaBaguette

Speaking of symbols, what would you think gardaí do with tricolours ? : http://twitpic.com/4ywte4

Advertisement