Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are you worried about the Queens visit?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Begob

LaBaguette wrote: »
    Speaking of symbols, what would you think gardaí do with tricolours ? : http://twitpic.com/4ywte4
    Theres any amount of tricolour bunting after paddies day ending up in bins and skip's.

I'd be more concerned about the disgrace those rioting thugs placed on my flag by claiming it as an endorsement of their disgusting criminal behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Happyman42 wrote: »
    What about a gesture of full and frank disclosure of all information pertaining to Crown Forces crimes committed in this Sovereign state? Information that was requested by democratically elected offices of this Republic.
    I find it amazing that people can gloss over this diplomatic arrogance in their enthusiasm to welcome this figurehead of imperialism.

I welcome your input, but I believe I have covered it already:
    Of course, for some (those least confident in Irelands status as an independant nation), its been the same old thing since 1916 as the song goes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Sand wrote: »
    I welcome your input, but I believe I have covered it already:

Is anybody going to answer a question on these forums without the name calling?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

What about a gesture of full and frank disclosure of all information pertaining to Crown Forces crimes committed in this Sovereign state? Information that was requested by democratically elected offices of this Republic.
    I find it amazing that people can gloss over this diplomatic arrogance in their enthusiasm to welcome this figurehead of imperialism.

And if this was done, and it yet may be, I'd imagine 'republicans' like yourself who sully the Irish tricolour and then blame the gardai for picking up your rubbish, who cause menace and disruption with threats of violent protest and then complain about the security bill, who complain about british rule despite the GFA and continuing political process, you 'republicans' would simply find something else to reject British acts of reconciliation, to stay living in the past and to continue to embarrass your country.

And if this was done, and it yet may be, I'd imagine 'republicans' like yourself who sully the Irish tricolour and then blame the gardai for picking up your rubbish, who cause menace and disruption with threats of violent protest and then complain about the security bill, who complain about british rule despite the GFA and continuing political process, you 'republicans' would simply find something else to reject British acts of reconciliation, to stay living in the past and to continue to embarrass your country.

how do you know what I am?
    There is no continuing process for the victims of the bombings though, is there?

• Advertisement

how do you know what I am?
    There is no continuing process for the victims of the bombings though, is there?

And protesting against the Queens conciliatory visit creates this process how?
    Threatening bomb attacks in London and Dublin creates this how?
    Launching missiles at the gardai creates this how?
    Vandalising shops and burning rubbish in your wake will move the Brits to open files will it?
    Being a complete embarrassment to your country will compel the British to investigate past events?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

LaBaguette wrote: »
    Speaking of symbols, what would you think gardaí do with tricolours ? : http://twitpic.com/4ywte4

What would you want them to do with an O'Carrolls tricolour found on the street? Stick it up on the Áras?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Think it was mentioned in the media that Kenny will ask Cameron for the 2nd time for an update on the bombings. Will there be a groundbreaking announcement? (as none happened today)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rudetc

The-Queens-Speech1_sxzVersion1-1.jpg

And protesting against the Queens conciliatory visit creates this process how?
    Threatening bomb attacks in London and Dublin creates this how?
    Launching missiles at the gardai creates this how?
    Vandalising shops and burning rubbish in your wake will move the Brits to open files will it?
    Being a complete embarrassment to your country will compel the British to investigate past events?

You have no idea what I condone or support. Because I haven't said anywhere what I condone or support.
    The rest of your post is just the usual embarrassed 'behave 2nd class citizen, your betters are watching'. It's as tiresome as it is annoying.

• Advertisement

gurramok wrote: »
    Think it was mentioned in the media that Kenny will ask Cameron for the 2nd time for an update on the bombings. Will there be a groundbreaking announcement? (as none happened today)

The hollow gesture will come in Croke Park...judging by the amount of international journalists booked for it and Cameron will have arrived in his best bib and tucker for the photo op.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

You have no idea what I condone or support. Because I haven't said anywhere what I condone or support.

Which, given the ease with which people can define what they are against, sums up the value of your contribution to the thread.

The rest of your post is just the usual embarrassed 'behave 2nd class citizen, your betters are watching'. It's as tiresome as it is annoying.

The Queen came here as an equal, invited and hosted here as a guest. There was no deference by our elected representatives, just courteousness. It's 'republicans' with the inferiority complex and the unwelcoming threats.

I don't care who is watching, manners aren't just for show

The Queen came here as an equal, invited and hosted here as a guest. There was no deference by our elected representatives, just courteousness. It's 'republicans' with the inferiority complex and the unwelcoming threats.
    For starters, she doesn't see herself as yours or my equal. She believes in the 'divine right of kiings'.
    Secondly you make the common mistake of assuming that the only objectors to this visit are the people who were on the street today.
    I don't care who is watching, manners aren't just for show
    Then why say this on more than one occaision?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

timmywex wrote: »
    Its actually an english car with irish plates stuck on. If you see a picture of it you'll notice the british tax disc on the front!

Is that legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

For starters, she doesn't see herself as yours or my equal. She believes in the 'divine right of kiings'.

She believes in a heriditary monarchy, if that's what you mean, but that's hardly surprising.

She is equal to Mary McAleese, not just in being a head of state, but that the fact that the powers and functions of the Queen and President McAleese hold are very similar (unlike the French or indeed American Presidents).

I don't think this visit would have happened now if Mary and Lizzie didn't get on well on a personal level.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Richard wrote: »
    She believes in a heriditary monarchy, if that's what you mean, but that's hardly surprising.

She is equal to Mary McAleese, not just in being a head of state, but that the fact that the powers and functions of the Queen and President McAleese hold are very similar (unlike the French or indeed American Presidents).

I don't think this visit would have happened now if Mary and Lizzie didn't get on well on a personal level.

So Mary and the rest who got to meet her didn't get pages of instructions on how to behave??? Honest to god, it's astounding what people will do to get a glimpse of ermine.

One subtle difference between her and Mary is that she (Elizabeth) was passed the monarchy(by definition superior to commoners.) without election or qualification and will pass it on in the same manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Is that legal?

Well yeh, its just like you or me importing a car and registering it, more than likely registered in the gardai's name or department foreign affairs and itll just go back over the england after the visit. Makes sense really, costs of a bomb/bullet proof range rover would be massive otherwise!

Pic showing uk tax disc here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72274901&postcount=7

Good point by the PBP lady on Vincent Browne; they are over here laying wreaths for those who died fighting for our rightful freedom and possibly apologising for their conduct and meanwhile they are engaging in the same bullying imperialism elsewhere. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

One subtle difference between her and Mary is that she (Elizabeth) was passed the monarchy(by definition superior to commoners.) without election or qualification and will pass it on in the same manner.

Do you believe monarchs are the only ones who would feel superior to commoners ?
    Politicians, bankers, big business-men,... all would feel the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

Secondly you make the common mistake of assuming that the only objectors to this visit are the people who were on the street today.

Then why say this on more than one occaision?

Last British monarch that believed in the 'divine right of kings' as you put it, had his head chopped off several hundred yours ago

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Do you believe monarchs are the only ones who would feel superior to commoners ?
    Politicians, bankers, big business-men,... all would feel the same.

Your second group don't have privilege and succession guaranteed by dint of their bloodline. Medieval nonsense.

junder wrote: »
    Last British monarch that believed in the 'divine right of kings' as you put it, had his head chopped off several hundred yours ago
    It was abolished in name only but effectively is how the monarchy operates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

It was abolished in name only but effectively is how the monarchy operates.

No it was completely abolished, we have a constitutional monarch who is there only by the will of the British people and not by god

junder wrote: »
    No it was completely abolished, we have a constitutional monarch who is there only by the will of the British people and not by good

Fair enough, but it doesn't change my essential point that this is no ordinary person.

Fair enough, but it doesn't change my essential point that this is no ordinary person.

So you were out protesting against the Dalai Lama then too?

The Dalai Lama has no 'unfinished business' with this country, the Dalai Lama does not to my knowledge with hold information about the deaths of 33 people on the streets of Monaghan and Dublin.

The Dalai Lama has no 'unfinished business' with this country, the Dalai Lama does not to my knowledge with hold information about the deaths of 33 people on the streets of Monaghan and Dublin.

And the Queen withholds information? Is it in her purse? Or a dungeon under Balmoral?

I'd love a bit of information on the disappeared. Who do I wrongly blame for withholding that? Enda Kenny? Michael Flatley? Bono? Any old ambassador of Ireland?

She is a figurehead. A constitutional monarch. She has limited power. She is supposed to be non political. Is any of this getting through?

• Advertisement

It's quite obvious your essential point is not that this is no ordinary person. Your central point hinges in the fact that she is British and the fact you misunderstand her role in politics and her position as your anti-monarchist sentiment blinds you to the fact that the crown remains in British life at the will of the people.

Advertisement