Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brendan McCann at it again

• 12-05-2011 8:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭

I see Brendan McCann is (unbelievably) objecting to the re-development of some shops in Arundel Square (H&M have been lined up - Munster). This man has been on a quest to stop any progress being made in Waterford by continuously objecting to, delaying and stopping badly needed and wanted projects in Waterford. If it wasnt for McCann, The Newgate Centre may be being built now, providing jobs for hundreds of people and the vital retail space that some companies have been saying for years that they need in the city centre in order for them to move in.

His latest objection is again a flimsy disguise for his real objective to prohibit and stop Waterford reaching its full potential. His reason is archeology of the site would not be sufficient, even though an extensive archeaology dig was done there for City Square, all the buildings in the area are modern and would have had digs there before.

In conclusion, this man has continuously strived to prevent Waterford jobs, and sure why not when you are in a state guaranteed 100k+ job in WIT and couldnt care less about the local economy, what the majority of people want and sure what the hell not even from Waterford.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The Newgate Center, is that not in NAMA now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

He obviously doesn't want development in the City Centre and would prefer greenfield sites. So lets follow that through and build more suburbs and let the centre rot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

That fella is a complete plonker. Seen in the paper yesterday that some serial objector up the country found a load of people outside his house protesting at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Sully wrote: »
    Sully please! keep to the topic at hand ;)
    I think it is tho
    http://www.waterford-news.ie/news/mhkfsnsncw/

So he wants the whole town to bend to his will does he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Do you mean the piece of land the developers bought but were continually twarted from developing?

Where does this guy live? On a viking settlement that never had to apply for planning. He should just be dismissed as a crank and a developer should drag his ass through court.

H&M would bring alot of employment (9% pay to sales ratio) and customers to Waterford, just look at the one in Limerick, it is one of the major attractions at the Crescent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭EoinHeffernan

I really wish this was a joke. Lets call a spade a spade, any investment that will create jobs and extra income into the local economy should be welcomed with open arms. Frankly the man baffles me on so many levels, but then again as stated when you have a 100k p/a guaranteed job, why care about anything outside of your own narrow minded ideologies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Fcuk sake.Thought we'd gotten rid of the goblin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭Mysterious&Shy

Excuse my ignorance, but who is he?

Our Friendly Neighbourhood Serial Objector.
    Has objected to pretty much every significant (and some insignificant) development (with the exception of WIT since he works there) in Waterford over the last 7/8 years.
    Search for his name on the ABP website and youll get back about 40 results from different planning developments. And theyre just the ones that made to ABP. Id say the list of city & county council ones is much more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

The greatest serial objector of development in Ireland,pity he can't fcuk back up to Galway and object to everything they try and buld or develop there man is just a crank but his whims have cost people a lot of money and local jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭Mysterious&Shy

What an idiot! So he is against job creation and development for the city??

Sure, shouldn't people know by now not to take him seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Marchandire

On the other hand, he is completely correct in this instance.

The 1988-1992 city square excavation was one of the most significant archaeological investigations ever undertaken in Ireland, and one of the most important Viking sites ever found in Western Europe. According to Mr. McCann, the archaeological impact assessment for this new development was done without any test trenches dug or any significant physical investigation. To go ahead with a development in an area of such dense archaeological remains without a serious physical assessment is ridiculous and dangerous.

Tbh, I can't believe that Waterford people are so willing to sacrifice our local heritage so a Dublin based property developer can squeeze a profit.

Property developers bankrupted this country and this left Waterford with the highest unemployment in the country. Yet numerous Waterford people are always ready to bend over backwards to support them, with some bizarre idea that further development will create a few jobs and somehow save the local economy. It's the height of stupidity: using the job losses over-development caused to justify more property development. Why aren't you people supporting local businesses and calling for investment in manufacturing and R&D?

Why not ask local small and medium business owners how they feel about yet another retail development in the city? Or head out to the retail park at the Six Cross Roads, or the empty, NAMA bound Shopping centre in Ferrybank?

In my opinion, Gary Wyse and his pro-developer acolytes are far more dangerous to this city than Brendan McCann was ever supposed to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

Ah for feck sake! I was only thinking recently that we haven't heard from him lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SillyMcCarthy

A little bit off topic but FFS! People are giving out about
    the funny accents but it's ok to spell their way!

Centre is spelled as such! OK!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Wait til the day Brendan McCann looks for planning permission!! they be a rake of people objecting to him!!
    This guy seems a right ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

He also objected to Centra in Farran park from being redeveloped i thought it was very funny seeing him use the shop after he failed god know why he had a problem with a small shop

STIG83 wrote: »
    Wait til the day Brendan McCann looks for planning permission!! they be a rake of people objecting to him!!
    This guy seems a right ass.
    He did apply for an extension but it was done under his wifes name. Dont think it went ahead though. I remember it being brought up in a thread here.......or maybe it was on UpTheDeise.
    Faq wrote: »
    He also objected to Centra in Farran park from being redeveloped i thought it was very funny seeing him use the shop after he failed god know why he had a problem with a small shop

We all know the archeological history of Farran park is very important (it seems to appear in a lot of his objections)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Is this guy a Councillor or what? is he a member of the Green Party?

Used to be. Didnt get elected a while ago and I think the GP has distanced themselves from him. Not sure if hes still a member. I have been told hes a terrible lecturer though

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

jayboi wrote: »
    Sully please! keep to the topic at hand ;)
    I think it is tho
    http://www.waterford-news.ie/news/mhkfsnsncw/

So he wants the whole town to bend to his will does he?

Banned. :p

Nah, I actually misread the OP at the time and thought he meant the development was going ahead. My bad :\
    wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Do you mean the piece of land the developers bought but were continually twarted from developing?

Where does this guy live? On a viking settlement that never had to apply for planning. He should just be dismissed as a crank and a developer should drag his ass through court.

H&M would bring alot of employment (9% pay to sales ratio) and customers to Waterford, just look at the one in Limerick, it is one of the major attractions at the Crescent.

Ya know, McCann may have saved us. The developers obviously couldn't go forward with the idea - imagine if they had started? Plus, look at other such developments built including two in Ferrybank. Sitting empty.
    On the other hand, he is completely correct in this instance.

The 1988-1992 city square excavation was one of the most significant archaeological investigations ever undertaken in Ireland, and one of the most important Viking sites ever found in Western Europe. According to Mr. McCann, the archaeological impact assessment for this new development was done without any test trenches dug or any significant physical investigation. To go ahead with a development in an area of such dense archaeological remains without a serious physical assessment is ridiculous and dangerous.

Tbh, I can't believe that Waterford people are so willing to sacrifice our local heritage so a Dublin based property developer can squeeze a profit.

Property developers bankrupted this country and this left Waterford with the highest unemployment in the country. Yet numerous Waterford people are always ready to bend over backwards to support them, with some bizarre idea that further development will create a few jobs and somehow save the local economy. It's the height of stupidity: using the job losses over-development caused to justify more property development. Why aren't you people supporting local businesses and calling for investment in manufacturing and R&D?

Why not ask local small and medium business owners how they feel about yet another retail development in the city? Or head out to the retail park at the Six Cross Roads, or the empty, NAMA bound Shopping centre in Ferrybank?

In my opinion, Gary Wyse and his pro-developer acolytes are far more dangerous to this city than Brendan McCann was ever supposed to be.

I don't mind them opening, and I do believe the city centre needs it, but a recent development for Pennys saw archaeological interest so I can see why precaution is needed here.
    A little bit off topic but FFS! People are giving out about
    the funny accents but it's ok to spell their way!

Centre is spelled as such! OK!!!!!

Don't be silly, both are technically correct! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

where are they gonna fit H and M in arundel square? are they knocking buildings to build something new? cause the current ones are not big and if i remember correctly, occupied

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

O Riain wrote: »
    where are they gonna fit H and M in arundel square? are they knocking buildings to build something new? cause the current ones are not big and if i remember correctly, occupied

Supposed to be replacing the brasserie, the o2 shop and a few shops inside the door of city square

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

while i cant stand mccann I would like to see his objection in full here, is he objecting to the design/layout or does he simply want a proper excavation done? if thats the case im with him on this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

How about people actually point out why they don't think his objection should be upheld?

The majority of his objections have been upheld. If developers did their job properly, and submitted decent development proposals, then they wouldn't be delayed by valid objections.

I don't know Brendan McCann, but I think he has to be one of the bravest people in Waterford. He is willing to take on one of the most powerful vested interest groups in the country, developers, who were at the height of their power.

Also the Greens haven't distanced themselves from McCann, he distanced himself from them.

So who is to blame for the state the country is in? The last government? The developers? Or one man on his bicycle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

If your referring to Waterford one man on his bicycle!!! I think we are all grown up to know we can't blame him for the national disaster we find ourself in. I think if it's a choice between securing sustainable jobs for this forgotten city or holding up something for years in the hope of finding a shrapnel of cooking pot ,am with the former . Beggars literally can't be choosey!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

dayshah wrote: »
    How about people actually point out why they don't think his objection should be upheld?

The majority of his objections have been upheld. If developers did their job properly, and submitted decent development proposals, then they wouldn't be delayed by valid objections.

Actually this is a very valid point, its evident that the developments had some serious failings and that why they did not go ahead, had the newgate centre gone ahead then we'd be left with a massive either unfinished or empty development as Sully has rightly pointed out.

Jobs should not be supplied at any cost and proper archaeological digs and investigations are very important to preserve our history, in the past no such digs were done up and down the country and many old buildings were simply destroyed with no thought and because of that we lost alot of valuable history and heritage.

Additionally I find it amusing that people love the idea of the whole Viking Triangle and bringing Tourists to Waterford yet they don't want to preserve history which is the very thing that will bring tourists to Waterford.

Yes his objections I'm sure are annoying and perhaps "some" should have gone ahead but if he has succeeded this proves there were failings with the plans of the developments in question and yet people are not questioning this. As dayshah has asked, if people think something should go ahead then outline your issue with the objection instead of just hating he man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

There may be valid reasons to his objections but I think he is absolutely against any form of development in Waterford and that is the primary reason for his objections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

wobbles wrote: »
    Supposed to be replacing the brasserie, the o2 shop and a few shops inside the door of city square

Nooooooo. Brendan, you're my hero (this time).

Mod Note

Folks, please don't get personal and start commenting on matters outside of his objections. Anything else is irrelevant and because of the nature of this discussion, such posts will be removed.

Stick with the topic at hand, please. Its not easy on the mods considering you are talking about one individual!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

I find it very amusing that he did not object to anything while the Greens were in Government. Yet a new Government is only in a wet day and he starts objecting again - Am I being too cynical?

Advertisement