Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC delivery/installation questions

• 12-05-2011 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭

I'm moving to Ireland from the UK in August, and I wish to sign up to UPC's 12Mbit package. However, I would like to minimize the amount of days that I'll be waiting for the line to be activated/installed.

The house has a UPC box on the wall in the front room, but I think UPC have to send an engineer out to "light it up" first. As there is no-one living in the house at the moment, there's no point ordering it now, since there won't be anyone there to let the engineer in and do what he needs to do. I'd like to know how long between the time I place my order with UPC, and the time that the engineer shows up at my door to activate the line/install the router, etc. I'm hoping to time it so that the installation is done very soon after I emigrate back to Ireland.

Or do UPC have to send someone out at all? Can they just send out the router for me to plug and play?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,448 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

For a first time install, they send an engineer. They check the cabling and register the modem allowing it to be provisioned on the network. You can schedule the visit, can be as soon as two days or so after ordering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If I remember correctly you sign up for the service on the UPC website and while doing this you can nominate a half day slot (i.e. morning or afternoon) for the engineer to come to do the installation. When you say what area you're in you will be presented with a calendar showing what slots are free in the next few weeks, how soon you can book the slot depends on how much of a backlog there is for installations/upgrades in your area.

I suggest that about three weeks before you'll be home and in the house that you sign up and set a time for the installation, you can always move the appointment if things change.

They will phone you the day before to confirm the appointment & verify that someone will be at home.

Advertisement