Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I get rid of leatherjacket pests from my greenhouse!!

Options
  • 12-05-2011 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Really hope someone can help me with this - I recently put up a polytunnell & have just found loads & loads of leatherjackets in it. I spent most of one evening trying to remove them by hand but the next day they were as bad as ever!

Does anyone have any advice as to how I can get rid of them without damaging the seeds of different vegetables that I sowed recently.

I have been told about a product called 'Rolawn Leatherjacket Killer' - has anyone used this before or do you know of anything better?

Do I need to use some sort of pellets as I am afraid that a liquid may damage my crop??

Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sno_fun3

Hi Not sure if this is of any help to you but what we use to control leatherjackets on golf greens is a chemical called chlorpyrifos, that is the active ingredient and it will come in a variety of brand names, try a search for clinch xl and you will get more info.
    It is also used in agriculture and forestry however IT IS A INSECTICIDE AND I DO NOT KNOW IF IT IS LEGAL TO USE IN YOUR GARDEN AND AS SUCH AM NOT SUGGESTING YOU USE IT, without first comfirming its suitability.

I Have heard of people covering the ground with plastic or something and leaving it for a while to encourage the leatherjackets to come to the surface and them picking them off, ive never tried this myself but it might be worth a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

nemo.ie, supernemos - irish and effective, use them in my kitchen garden and they seem to work

Advertisement