Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MODERATOR TROUBLE

Options
  • 12-05-2011 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

rang the guy that threads my guns today and he informed me that i could not interchange a ase utra northstar n3 from my 243 to 308 as my mod up to 25.06 max, told me to bring it down and he will drill it 1 1/2mm wider as he has done this for a few lads and it will go on the 243 as well, thread stays the same, would loose about 2 or 3 db's but would not no the differance, said .25 and .30 same mod onely .30, 1 1/2 mm wider. saves on another mod.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

kieran1141 wrote: »
    rang the guy that threads my guns today and he informed me that i could not interchange a ase utra northstar n3 from my 243 to 308 as my mod up to 25.06 max, told me to bring it down and he will drill it 1 1/2mm wider as he has done this for a few lads and it will go on the 243 as well, thread stays the same, would loose about 2 or 3 db's but would not no the differance, said .25 and .30 same mod onely .30, 1 1/2 mm wider. saves on another mod.

Ooooh I would look further for clarification on that, sounds hairy:eek:,

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭ssl

In theory it might not sound too bad, but i'd say its not one of the manufacturer's recommendations...
    loosing 2 or 3 db could be the least of your worries:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

ask this guy
    tuukka, he pops up on a few forums and works for ASE so should be able to answer your question, i've heard of it done before but i don't know if i'd do it with out hearing more
    http://www.modernrifle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=94&t=64068&view=previous

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭kieran1141

ssl wrote: »
    In theory it might not sound too bad, but i'd say its not one of the manufacturer's recommendations...
    loosing 2 or 3 db could be the least of your worries:eek:

spoke to an army gunsmith, told me no problem once done on a lathe by a qualified man, if he has the exact size bit,witch he has, and sound
    wise i would'nt hear it..

spoke to an army gunsmith, told me no problem once done on a lathe by a qualified man, if he has the exact size bit,witch he has, and sound
    wise i would'nt hear it..

A gunsmith or an armourer which:p

• Advertisement

A gunsmith or an armourer which:p

a gunsmith 18 years doing nothing else, he would do a lot of work for 2 shops,and private work at home, a well if he done 3 already including his own, he said the stainless northstar is no bother. wont be long finding out... thanks lad,iam off to the cot, and will do what ormond prop said and give that guy a shout,,,,,

a gunsmith 18 years doing nothing else, he would do a lot of work for 2 shops,and private work at home, a well if he done 3 already including his own, he said the stainless northstar is no bother. wont be long finding out... thanks lad,iam off to the cot, and will do what ormond prop said and give that guy a shout,,,,,

Just wondering, currently with over 30yrs service I never knew any gunsmiths only armourers in the DF's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Yes can be done, by a competent gunsmith
    Put mod in Lathe and bore out 7.9mm
    Will be a shade louder, but not much.

I use a .30 cal mod on .308 and .223 for the record

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Hondata92

I personally would have a chat with the likes of tuukka!!

Having a .308 mod on a .243 is one thing but machining a mod to open it up to suit a larger caliber is a different story

I could be wrong but you are weakening the mod and due to the gasses that are expelled from firing the rifle the now altered "silencer" may not be able to hold the pressure and could possibly fail, your talking about thousands of an inch with firearms and the suitablility of materials for firarms

That is just my thinking

If i were you i would sell the existing mod and buy one that is suited to the .308 cal or buy the likes of a willdcat predator with a .243 baffle and .308 baffle

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I'm using a 30cal ASE Northstar on both the 223 and 308 without any problems.

I'd say drill it out it's not even a couple of mil in difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Moderators can be drilled out but it depends on there baffle design. Most commercal suppressors are simple so there wouldnt be a problem.

GH

Just wondering, currently with over 30yrs service I never knew any gunsmiths only armourers in the DF's

you will have to excuse my ignorance, but he calls himself a weapon technician he says or armourer, and works at gunsmithing.

Yes can be done, by a competent gunsmith
    Put mod in Lathe and bore out 7.9mm
    Will be a shade louder, but not much.

I use a .30 cal mod on .308 and .223 for the record

thats grand tack, says no bother with the ase northstar, just 1 and 1/2mm wider. thanks to everyone for the replies......

clivej wrote: »
    I'm using a 30cal ASE Northstar on both the 223 and 308 without any problems.

I'd say drill it out it's not even a couple of mil in difference.

thanks clivej, we'll give it a shot lol....

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

Gunhappy is right. My take would be, if the manufacturer of the mod has
    the same design in a larger cal and the baffle shape allows boring out, then go for it.
    Important is to have evrything centric. 308 needs at least 8.5mm diameter hole.
    I know that some A-tecs with 8.4mm can be finicky.
    My 308 mod has a 10mm hole, no worries with accuracy.
    edi

all sorted thanks to tackleberrywho, job will be done for me monday, saved me a 4 hour round trip. thanks to all who replied.

Advertisement